Lions restructuring LB Jamie Collins' contract

Louis Friend

Per Mike Garafolo on twitter-

The #Lions are restructuring LB Jamie Collins’ contract to create salary cap space, source says. He’s on the books for $9 million in total cash for this upcoming season. He gets that. Voidable years added. His cap number of $11.3 million will be lowered significantly.

Collins still has almost $24 million owed to him over the next two seasons. This was a very good way to reduce that cap hit. 

Edited by Louis Friend

15 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Per Mike Garafolo on twitter-

Collins still has almost $24 million owed to him over the next two seasons. This was a very good way to reduce that cap hit. 

I'd almost rather just wait it out see if he fits and then take the minimal hit next year to cut/trade him.  Don't like spreading it out over longer which could hurt the cap more in future years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd almost rather just wait it out see if he fits and then take the minimal hit next year to cut/trade him.  Don't like spreading it out over longer which could hurt the cap more in future years. 

With the salary cap expecting to skyrocket the next two seasons after the TV deals are made, I expect the FO thinks it's better to take the hit then than now with a smaller cap. 

I saw one figure that stated JC's cap hit went from $11.3 million to $4.9 million this season. 

14 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

With the salary cap expecting to skyrocket the next two seasons after the TV deals are made, I expect the FO thinks it's better to take the hit then than now with a smaller cap. 

I saw one figure that stated JC's cap hit went from $11.3 million to $4.9 million this season. 

Which is crazy because using OTC, his cap hit would be $7.5M with their restructure tool. 

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd even be open to trading him this year for a late round pick. He has a tendency to pack it in on losing teams anyway, so why keep him around when another team is likely going to be interested in him. Miami would be a great fit with an abundance of draft capital.