Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

15 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Again, not 1 player away on defense. Happy with a group of good players that come at a value. 

People need to wake up. The analytical FO is not going to overpay stupid money for mid tier players. They gave Conklin huge money last year because he's a top all pro guy. None of these pass rushers are all pro players. They are going to be savvy and spend around. So much whining, how about we trust this group that gave us the magic last year???  

FYI they know more than us....

they overpaid stupid money to a mid tier TE last year, I was a fan of Hooper, so I didnt mind it but that goes against your point.

If they are going to go full " analytical FO " they  better trade Chubb this season because analytics greatly show you never pay a RB top tier money. Better get the best deal for him other than a 3rd rd comp. 

Is it bad to have hated to see the team go after one of the handful of mid 20s yr old passrushers who are hitting the prime of their careers to pair them up with Garrett for the next 4yrs. 26th spot is not a good spot to try and find that legit top tier pass rusher. They wont trade up for a rusher cause that isnt  analytical. Also the Browns dont have 2yrs to wait for that guy to develop because of the time constraint of some contracts. Analytics would show that this is the time to spend while you have a QB under a rookie contract. 

we know we are not one player but getting that DE, goes with us just signing Johnson. You also could say we are one player away from playing in the AFC title game, if we had someone who could have created pressure besides Garrett, who played the entire 2nd half of that game hurt. That other DE could have sacked Henne or ran him down before Henne picked up 13yards

Edited by buno67

15 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I wouldn’t be surprised Clowney on a one year 8.5 million dollar deal 

I saw C.J. Mosley might be on the trade block in NY 

I think he’d be a great fit for us if he didn’t cost much. Took a year off 

Mosely would cost too much in 2 ways, draft picks and his huge contract.  

we are moneyball.

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

they overpaid stupid money to a mid tier TE last year, I was a fan of Hooper, so I didnt mind it but that goes against your point.

If they are going to go full " analytical FO " they  better trade Chubb this season because analytics greatly show you never pay a RB top tier money. Better get the best deal for him other than a 3rd rd comp. 

Is it bad to have hated to see the team go after one of the handful of mid 20s yr old passrushers who are hitting the prime of their careers to pair them up with Garrett for the next 4yrs. 26th spot is not a good spot to try and find that legit top tier pass rusher. They wont trade up for a rusher cause that isnt  analytical. Also the Browns dont have 2yrs to wait for that guy to develop because of the time constraint of some contracts. Analytics would show that this is the time to spend while you have a QB under a rookie contract. 

we know we are not one player but getting that DE, goes with us just signing Johnson. You also could say we are one player away from playing in the AFC title game, if we had someone who could have created pressure besides Garrett, who played the entire 2nd half of that game hurt. That other DE could have sacked Henne or ran him down before Henne picked up 13yards

When you look at the whole picture, aka blocking and not just receiving, Hooper is exactly what they were looking for. Just as they need extra safety help because of scheme, so too did they need extra TE help.

Beyond he and Conklin, the rest were value deals. Trading chubb now makes no sense because rb are supremely undervalued and the return would not support it. They are better off letting him walk and getting comp pick. We use the best years of his career then get comp when he leaves. I love chubb but I'm going to be stunned if he gets bigger than a 2 year extension. 

My main point is that I'd rather them spend less than 10 a year for some of the other middle tier options then 16 mil for the likes of Hendricks or Dupree. That way we have extra cash for others. 

I trust them to find value, seems like they wouldn't go against their principles and overspend. I'm glad they stick to the plan and don't get emotional about it.

I wonder if 5 years ago, Jimmy overrules and tells them to overspend to make a splash?

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Read that if traded his contract becomes very manageable 

Yeah it would cost us $6 mil only. That's crazy cheap for a player like that. Even though his best days are behind him, he's still a very good linebacker. We could use a traditional linebacker with some juice in his legs.

If you want to go the "traditional" LB route - I'd pass on Mosley and draft Zaven Collins. I would live with the rookie mistakes. I think he offers better upside at a lower cost.

If you have bought into the "traditional" route, why wouldn't you draft the reigning college defensive player of the year at the position you want to upgrade? I don't think we are that desperate for on the field defensive leaders.

1 minute ago, brooks1957 said:

If you want to go the "traditional" LB route - I'd pass on Mosley and draft Zaven Collins.

Zaven Collins is not a traditional linebacker though.

I would live with the rookie mistakes. I think he offers better upside at a lower cost.

He definitely offers better upside at a lower cost, but he's an outside linebacker. We need an inside backer to pair with Ronnie Harrison as a roaming safety.

If you have bought into the "traditional" route, why wouldn't you draft the reigning college defensive player of the year at the position you want to upgrade? I don't think we are that desperate for on the field defensive leaders.

We need someone who has played against guards and made triangle reads inside the box. That's not Zaven Collins. If you want a rookie LB that can play a traditional role, you're looking at Nick Bolton in the draft.

• Like 1