Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

In any other year I would say draft and develop a DE, but for some reason I get the sense that the Browns are in a small little window here where they can afford to be aggressive in FA with win-now moves while a lot of their too talent is still on rookie deals.

If there is anytime to be a little over aggressive I think now is the time.

Sure that’s fine. But we are either gambling on a starting CB via the draft or a starting DE. We aren’t patching both those holes. I’d rather pick my poison at DE. I like Newsome, but his injury history is more concerning than anyone’s. I would rather invest in a CB in FA and grab a DE early and a later round complement at CB to whoever we bring in. 

5 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Sure that’s fine. But we are either gambling on a starting CB via the draft or a starting DE. We aren’t patching both those holes. I’d rather pick my poison at DE. I like Newsome, but his injury history is more concerning than anyone’s. I would rather invest in a CB in FA and grab a DE early and a later round complement at CB to whoever we bring in. 

Hmmm I guess it depends on what is there. The Browns are so young in the secondary it would probably be best to invest in another proven veteran there at CB.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bruceb said:

There is no way a DE will be BPA where we pick in R1 or R2.

That and the fact that unless they are top 15 talent DE seems to be a position that takes longer to develop than skill positions.

Might find a immediate starter at CB at the end of round 1 but more of a 2-3 years project in this year's DE class in the same spot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

But who is to say that we won’t bundle Njoku or mid and late round picks to move up?

Not who, what.

Analytics.

Besides, who is there to move up for worth that kind of investment?

Better to trade the pick and Njoku for Hunter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

There is no way a DE will be BPA where we pick in R1 or R2.

There's no way we can say this, yet. You just never know how the draft may play out. To a certain extent, I understand this thinking with R1, but R2 is a complete unknown at this point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bruceb said:

You build on strengths as well as try to shore up weaknesses.

This draft plays more to our strengths than our weaknesses.

Yeah you can’t force picks based on need if you want to be successful.

Free agency is for filling holes, draft for acquiring the most talent you can.

Ideally you marry need and BPA, but if the BPA is graded notably higher than others and they’re not at a position of need, you take them (or trade the pick).  Forgoing talent to plug holes is not ideal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah you can’t force picks based on need if you want to be successful.

Free agency is for filling holes, draft for acquiring the most talent you can.

Ideally you marry need and BPA, but if the BPA is graded notably higher than others and they’re not at a position of need, you take them (or trade the pick).  Forgoing talent to plug holes is not ideal.

I think people make this a bigger thing then it actually is and it is much more of a blend based on timing and not one or the other.

For example, in 2014 the Broncos in 1 off-season spent huge money on Demarcus Ware, Emmanuel Sanders, Aqib Talib and TJ Ward. This got them to 2 superbowls.

The Bucaneers last season did the same for their push with Suh, Brown, Fournette, Gronk, ect. The Saints have been notorious for adding a few splash guys to their team every year.

Not saying that spending smart is not preferred, but sometimes going for it and adding a few big ticket guys is what gets you over the top depending on your cap situation.

11 hours ago, bruceb said:

Only at the right price, which is closer to $30mm than $40mm, and maybe not even then.

"Maybe not even then" headed towards $30 million means that you're living in an absolute fantasy land.

He's worth every bit of $34+ million alone (Spotrac Market Value) based upon his 2021 production, not to mention age. Cousins is making $33 million a year, (this year $35 million guaranteed) and he's a lot older and not as good as Baker. 

I agree that I'd hesitate on $40 million a year, but I wouldn't think twice at $35 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m surprised we haven’t heard more about kJ Wright. He could be a big piece for us and might not cost too much. 

31 year old players who are past their prime dont seem to be Andrew Berrys thing. At least not in the initial days of FA. I could see him being a cheap veteran like BJ Goodson was towards the end of FA.

Edited by AkronsWitness