22 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Nah I’m good on moving on from him. It was time. He did ok in spots but he got burnt a lot. Replaceable at that price. 

He got burnt when he was forced to be the #1 CB, sure. But he was usually solid when he wasn't asked to cover #1 receivers. It's not a huge deal not bringing him back, but I wouldn't have minded it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

He got burnt when he was forced to be the #1 CB, sure. But he was usually solid when he wasn't asked to cover #1 receivers. It's not a huge deal not bringing him back, but I wouldn't have minded it.

Depending on the price, Mitchell would have been nice to bring back. I'm not losing sleep over losing him, but with the injury history of our DB's, it'd be nice to have a guy like Mitchell there in case. That said, I'm sure whatever Houston is paying him would be considered too much.

Bring me Jayon Brown or Hasson Reddick. Preferrably Reddick, who can double as a SLB and pass rusher in nickel.

• Like 1
Just now, LinebackerGod said:

Depending on the price, Mitchell would have been nice to bring back. I'm not losing sleep over losing him, but with the injury history of our DB's, it'd be nice to have a guy like Mitchell there in case. That said, I'm sure whatever Houston is paying him would be considered too much.

Bring me Jayon Brown or Hasson Reddick. Preferrably Reddick, who can double as a SLB and pass rusher in nickel.

Or Denzel Perryman, who I obviously am in love with. He's BJ Goodson, but dialed up to 10 and with less reliability injury-wise.

8 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Rumors from last week was he was interested in us

I hope so, he cant stay healthy for crap but when he is on the field he is that type of downhill, punch you in the mouth type of LB I have wanted on the Browns for years. Loved him since his Miami days coming out in the draft.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not getting the hype with him. He didn’t even start for the changers. Is he just a rotational piece ?

His PFF grade was in the mid 80s last year, and he's highly productive. He's only 5'11 and has yet to play a full 16 games in his career, but when he plays, he is somewhat productive. It's also likely he won't exactly break the bank. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not getting the hype with him. He didn’t even start for the changers. Is he just a rotational piece ?

He did start for the Chargers. He is very good against the run and better against the pass than Goodson. He's just always hurt and like most MIKE backers, he comes off the field on 3rd and long.

1 minute ago, LinebackerGod said:

He did start for the Chargers. He is very good against the run and better against the pass than Goodson. He's just always hurt and like most MIKE backers, he comes off the field on 3rd and long.

Perryman coming off and Takitaki coming on doesn't suck, especially if we happen to draft another LB who is adequate in Nickel situations. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised in long yardage situations to have 3 CBs and 3 S on the field at the same time, with either Johnson or Harrison as the "linebacker" in that scenario.

• Like 1
Just now, MWil23 said:

Perryman coming off and Takitaki coming on doesn't suck, especially if we happen to draft another LB who is adequate in Nickel situations. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised in long yardage situations to have 3 CBs and 3 S on the field at the same time, with either Johnson or Harrison as the "linebacker" in that scenario.

Yeah our nickel package is going to feature 1 true linebacker.

LB: (???)
LB: Ronnie Harrison
CB: Denzel Ward & (???)
NCB: (???)
FS: Grant Delpit
SS: John Johnson

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LinebackerGod said:

Yeah our nickel package is going to feature 1 true linebacker.

LB: (Draft Pick, Takitaki, or Phillips)
LB: Ronnie Harrison
CB: Denzel Ward & (Greedy Williams or Free Agent/Draft Pick)
NCB: (Greedy Williams or Free Agent/Draft Pick)
FS: Grant Delpit
SS: John Johnson

What I think

@MWil23 I'm a Greedy believer. I think he'll at least be our NCB, but I don't want us to ASSUME he will be. We can't have a gigantic hole at cornerback and expect to be a good defense. Plus, even if Greedy's healthy, do we think Denzel will be? Probably not for 16 games. I still think we need to sign two FA CB's, as I don't trust the depth in this CB class. Some people love this CB class. I am personally not a fan outside of the 1st round guys.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

@MWil23 I'm a Greedy believer. I think he'll at least be our NCB, but I don't want us to ASSUME he will be. We can't have a gigantic hole at cornerback and expect to be a good defense. Plus, even if Greedy's healthy, do we think Denzel will be? Probably not for 16 games. I still think we need to sign two FA CB's, as I don't trust the depth in this CB class. Some people love this CB class. I am personally not a fan outside of the 1st round guys.

I think he's definitely "in their plans" on a tentative basis. He's still just 22/23 years old and on a rookie deal. I think that we absolutely still acquire a free agent either in the slot or opposite Ward, and he's the "other" guy (slot, outside the numbers). I prefer him outside with his length and man/press man ability, especially given that he wasn't a willing tackler before the injury, let alone now with that nerve damage.

That said, you can't count on him/build around him, and have to almost assume you won't have him until he plays significant time without injury.

So, I'd look at a veteran in the slot or outside, and another guy via the draft (or low priced free agent).

I'd actually love Shaun Wade in the 3rd or later as a slot/push guy, because he's great as a tackler and in zone tech, as well as a ball hawk. He just really isn't athletic enough outside of the numbers in that regard.

• Like 1