Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Which was nice, too bad we need like 5 other guys just like him at different positions lol

No...we need average NFL starters at those 4-5 positions to dump the garbage ones that we had in those spots. :) 

• Like 1

I don't think we are going to get any top investment in cornerbacks.

Our dunce DC hates man coverage and refuses to run it, so why pump dollars into an elite corner, who is going to basically be asked to play 7 yards off, concede everything underneath, and basically sprint backwards in a straight line on every play?

In a zone-heavy scheme, cornerbacks don't matter. The design of the scheme means giving up easy underneath throws all game long and preventing big plays. Somehow, our corners couldn't do either last year. But I don't think our DC really cares about CB's or LB's. He wants safeties and DL.

19 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Our dunce DC hates man coverage and refuses to run it, so why pump dollars into an elite corner, who is going to basically be asked to play 7 yards off, concede everything underneath, and basically sprint backwards in a straight line on every play?

In a zone-heavy scheme, cornerbacks don't matter. The design of the scheme means giving up easy underneath throws all game long and preventing big plays. Somehow, our corners couldn't do either last year. But I don't think our DC really cares about CB's or LB's. He wants safeties and DL.

Sounds like a perfect defense to recruit Richard Sherman for

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

Because pass rush > coverage. Always has been the case and always will be. That 49ers secondary outside of Sherman was average at best but their DL was crazy good at getting after the QB.

That's the blueprint for today's NFL. The offense has the advantage, you get your edge as a defense by having a DL that is good enough to get to the QB play after play with enough speed behind it to not give up the quick pass.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Which was nice, too bad we need like 5 other guys just like him at different positions lol

We really need another stud DE and DT.  If we had those and can stay healthy we are a championship quality team.  

it’s time for Berry, the scouts, and Depodesta to earn their money because we aren’t getting those positions filled adequately in free agency.  Bring on the draft!