Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

1 minute ago, DizzyDean said:

We really need another stud DE and DT.  If we had those and can stay healthy we are a championship quality team.  

it’s time for Berry, the scouts, and Depodesta to earn their money because we aren’t getting those positions filled adequately in free agency.  Bring on the draft!

This I agree with 100% and I believe this is the plan. These DEs got huge contracts so I'm glad they didn't get us in cap hell trying to go for the gusto. Ultimately this team is in a spot where the foundation is in place, it's time to steer clear from over spending and using the draft to build on top of it. That's what the good teams do, they draft well, develop and pay their own. Drafting well is the only way to achieve this.

I'm glad they made their splash, it eliminated a big need heading into a very crucial draft for us

8 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

Because pass rush > coverage. Always has been the case and always will be. That 49ers secondary outside of Sherman was average at best but their DL was crazy good at getting after the QB.

That's the blueprint for today's NFL. The offense has the advantage, you get your edge as a defense by having a DL that is good enough to get to the QB play after play with enough speed behind it to not give up the quick pass.

Except for the NFL’s #1 defense last year, which was all about coverage with little to nothing as pass rushers. 

You need a mixture. I’m more DL based, but you have to be able to jump in man coverage based on formations, matchups, and Down/Distance. We were petrified to do this last year because we had no talent and our coach had no balls. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LinebackerGod said:

Except for the NFL’s #1 defense last year, which was all about coverage with little to nothing as pass rushers. 

You need a mixture. I’m more DL based, but you have to be able to jump in man coverage based on formations, matchups, and Down/Distance. We were petrified to do this last year because we had no talent and our coach had no balls. 

That's because we had no pass rush and Sendejo at safety. The personnel he had to work with was inadequate. I can't blame that on the coach, he has to make do with what he had so basically he said we'll give you what you want between the 20's and lock up in the red zone where they gotta earn it.

Ideally he'd make you earn even a yard but that wasn't possible.

35 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

That's because we had no pass rush and Sendejo at safety. The personnel he had to work with was inadequate. I can't blame that on the coach, he has to make do with what he had so basically he said we'll give you what you want between the 20's and lock up in the red zone where they gotta earn it.

I will never defend this idiot after his “game plan” against the Cowboys. And then the same “game plan” against Tennessee. And Pittsburgh. We played scared pathetic football all year. 3rd and 4? Let’s play zone so a TE can run to a spot, sit down, and catch the ball. 4th and 1? Let’s still play zone so a WR/RB/TE can catch a pass and fall for a yard. Bunch formation on 3rd and a mile? That’s when he decides to play man and we get picked for a freaking Jamison Crowder touchdown.

Joe Woods is terrible. We need 4 world-beaters up front to compete with this dude as the DC. He promised that we would be a man team because of our personnel at his first presser. And then he runs pretty much exclusively zone despite us getting molested. 

Plus, it’s not like it was just a talent issue. We were horrible fundamentally. Oh, and we didn’t play hard on defense.

How many games do you think we won the DC vs. OC battle this year? I can think of 1 game (PHI) where we played well schematically. 

21 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I will never defend this idiot after his “game plan” against the Cowboys. And then the same “game plan” against Tennessee. And Pittsburgh. We played scared pathetic football all year. 3rd and 4? Let’s play zone so a TE can run to a spot, sit down, and catch the ball. 4th and 1? Let’s still play zone so a WR/RB/TE can catch a pass and fall for a yard. Bunch formation on 3rd and a mile? That’s when he decides to play man and we get picked for a freaking Jamison Crowder touchdown.

Joe Woods is terrible. We need 4 world-beaters up front to compete with this dude as the DC. He promised that we would be a man team because of our personnel at his first presser. And then he runs pretty much exclusively zone despite us getting molested. 

Plus, it’s not like it was just a talent issue. We were horrible fundamentally. Oh, and we didn’t play hard on defense.

How many games do you think we won the DC vs. OC battle this year? I can think of 1 game (PHI) where we played well schematically. 

But again I ask what was he supposed to do? Myles went down with covid and an injury, outside of him there was no pass rush. To make matters worse when he did come back he was winded all game

I can understand not being a fan of his but it's hard to run the defense you want when you don't have the personnel to do so. This defense was hurt or sick all year in key spots, tou gotta do what you gotta do. Next man up is the mantra but when the starters already stink you're handcuffed lol

22 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I agree with TeH, last year the team gameplan was to run the ball and let the offense to win the game, defensive gameplan was play safe, do not lose game, not totally Joe Woods call.

2 hours ago, TeHDruiD said:

This is spot on.  It’s like telling a master chef to make a perfect omelet with expired Mayo, motor oil, and belly button lint... since I know that analogies are so adored here 🤔