Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Clowney left Cleveland without a contract. This reaffirms how out of touch he is about his worth and value. Good work not overpaying him nerds!

Berry really likes the guy. 

With his market being pretty poor I think he comes back to us. 

I'm glad berry can have man crush but not pay the farm for a guy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would say this is correct. Much like Takk, the Browns FO seems to have 'their' guys they want and they do everything they can to get him. They have persued Clowney for 2 offseasons now, odds are it finally happens and he signs just like what happened with Takk

However, there is something to say about a guy who is going to be on his 4th team in 4 years. 

On the other hand, kicking Clowney inside and running Myles/Jackson/Clowney/Takk on passing downs makes me giddy.

Passing downs look great, but he’s a really high end run stopper, which this team needs something fierce.

He and Myles would be a great starting point to stopping Lamar and the Ravens.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Passing downs look great, but he’s a really high end run stopper, which this team needs something fierce.

Right, I want to be overly aggressive at adding to the front 7. Sign Clowney to a 1 year deal and then go LB in the 1st round and DT in the 2nd and CB in the 3rd. I would love that. Basically double dip with rookies what they did in Free Agency.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.

Personally, I'll be downright giddy if we sign Clowney.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Taki, clowney, billings, Anthony miller look good vs baltimore

48 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I do like the discipline that we've shown, but I'm not holding my breath for Clowney.

Unless he's had a complete change of heart (and M.O.), he won't be signing with us. Last year, he visited tons of teams, took his sweet time, didn't sign anywhere until August (after training camps), and took the largest deal.  Until he does it differently, he's pretty much a mercenary at this point.  Doubtful it's a fit for us, but it's worth it to talk to him and see if it will work.

It’s funny to me how many people here bashed Vernon and are Clowney apologists. The dude has never had double digit sacks, has 21 sacks in the last 4 years, can’t stay healthy at all, and is at this point in his career a good run stuffer and likely won’t play anywhere close to a full season.

I’m fine if we sign him to a reasonable contract, but it’s at best a signing to hopefully buy us some time and not reaching for a player in the draft.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s funny to me how many people here bashed Vernon and are Clowney apologists. The dude has never had double digit sacks, has 21 sacks in the last 4 years, can’t stay healthy at all, and is at this point in his career a good run stuffer and likely won’t play anywhere close to a full season.

I’m fine if we sign him to a reasonable contract, but it’s at best a signing to hopefully buy us some time and not reaching for a player in the draft.

I don’t think anyone views him as a long term option, just a capable stopgap.

And if Vernon didn’t have the major injury, I think most of us would have been good with brining him back on a team friendly deal (6-7 million perhaps?). He was no bueno in ‘19, but actually had a decent 2020 including a couple really impactful games.

If Clowney is wanting 12-15 and something long term, that’s a pass from me, but on a team friendly deal?  You bet.

Some light reading.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-nfl-free-agency-jadeveon-clowney-and-melvin-ingram-may-end-up-being-two-of-the-best-values-at-edge-this-offseason

One bit that stood out... “95th percentile at his position against the run since ‘14”.  Dear god do we need that.

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One bit that stood out... “95th percentile at his position against the run since ‘14”.  Dear god do we need that.

Yeah sure but we were still top 10ish vs the run and that's playing the Ravens twice.

What we really need is to get off of the field on 3rd and 4th down. I don't know if there is a simple answer or signing for that or if it will get better with who we have already signed and players coming back but that was torture last year.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah sure but we were still top 10ish vs the run and that's playing the Ravens twice.

What we really need is to get off of the field on 3rd and 4th down. I don't know if there is a simple answer or signing for that or if it will get better with who we have already signed and players coming back but that was torture last year.

When we played the ravens and they put up 47 we were giving up 8ypc. 

We looked like were in reverse when lamar was running. 

Part of getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down is not being run on for 8ypc. 

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Keeping contain on Lamar helps with that against the Ravens and Clowney is athletic enough to help there.

What metric were you looking at for our run defense?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

The simple answer for that is to not be so petrified of playing man coverage. Any halfway decent QB and receiver can find a zone and sit down in it for an easy catch. We need to make QB's and WR's earn it. Joe Woods is spineless and on 3rd and 4, we play vanilla zone. I know our corners were horrible last year outside of Ward. But I'd rather die asking Lamar Jackson to make a pinpoint throw down the sidelines to a 5'8 Hollywood Brown than letting him throw a 5 yard stick route to his TE for a 1st down every single drive.

It's a talent problem, but it's also more of a scheme problem than people think. If you're going to play a vanilla zone, you had better be able to get pressure on the QB immediately with an interior rush or an overloaded rush side.

2 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

The simple answer for that is to not be so petrified of playing man coverage. Any halfway decent QB and receiver can find a zone and sit down in it for an easy catch. We need to make QB's and WR's earn it. Joe Woods is spineless and on 3rd and 4, we play vanilla zone. I know our corners were horrible last year outside of Ward. But I'd rather die asking Lamar Jackson to make a pinpoint throw down the sidelines to a 5'8 Hollywood Brown than letting him throw a 5 yard stick route to his TE for a 1st down every single drive.

It's a talent problem, but it's also more of a scheme problem than people think. If you're going to play a vanilla zone, you had better be able to get pressure on the QB immediately with an interior rush or an overloaded rush side.

It was strictly a personnel problem. Limited talent because of injuries causes this and I feel like you're going to eat your words on it. Give up 5-10 yards curls or give up massive yac plays were the options Woods had at his disposal

The lesser of the two evils was the only choice

Edited by TeHDruiD

15 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

It was strictly a personnel problem. Limited talent because of injuries causes this and I feel like you're going to eat your words on it. Give up 5-10 yards curls or give up massive yac plays were the options Woods had at his disposal

The lesser of the two evils was the only choice

I mean, sure. From a philosophical perspective, prevent the big plays. You can play zone 85% of the time. But you can't freaking play exclusively zone coverage on 3rd/4th & short. You'll never convince me otherwise.

Also, giving up massive YAC plays is what we did defensively because we played so much soft zone. And we couldn't freaking tackle to save our lives. Know how to prevent that? Play more tight man coverage and prevent space tackling.

I know our personnel was bad, but we never buttoned up when we needed to. We played scared all season long. Joe Woods was terrible last season as the polar opposite of Gregg Williams. I want someone in the middle of those two guys.

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

They said on NFLN that this is the first FA visit Clowney has ever taken so apparently that means there is def. 'mutual interest' and they said a deal could happen