Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think the counting stats can be because of the offensive system being so run dominant, that and we seem to get out TEs and RBs involved quite a bit.

Agreed though on OBJ being long-term, I think this has to be his last season here. As far as Jarvis, he's not a #1 but man does he seem to make the offense go. He's so reliable on 3rd down and in big moments when a play needs to be made.

I hope they find a way to keep him here long term. He does wonders not only for the offense but also as a leader/lockerroom guy

I flip flop with jarvis he can have quiet games, and he can have games with 5 catches for 30 yards and 4 of the catches are for first downs on 3rd down and a td.

He is probably the most over payed wr in the nfl if you looked at him for $ per yard and td

If we’re trying to do build a franchise similar to how Seattle did (they’re who I think we’re copying) I won’t be shocked if OBJ and Jarvis are gone next year.

If we sign Clowney, I think there’s a better chance we keep him over those 2. It’s getting easier to find WRs every draft.

I don’t think we’re copying or modeling after anyone tbh.  I think we’re just trying to build the most complete team possible.

Berry has been consistent in his short time sitting in the big seat of identifying the areas of need and fixing them.

Last year he fixed the offense and we should be ready to roll this year.

Now he’s fishing the defense and between hopefully Clowney, Johnson, Hill, Walker, Jackson and a good draft (as well as perhaps getting back some guys from injury) we’ll see a huge improvement there.

• Like 2

Yeah this is the last year of both OBJ and Landry, methinks. Unless they take massive pay cuts, they won't be back. We don't need them, to be honest. We can replace them with relative ease for a fraction of the cost. In this offensive system, you need the OL in place and then the rest of the offensive roster can kind of be pieced together...especially if you have the QB in place. That's the beauty of this scheme. Any RB/WR/TE can have success, so long as they're disciplined and know how to play within the scheme.

This isn't Madden. There are ramifications for letting go of a guy like Landry. I'm not necessarily saying we're a lock to keep him in Cleveland for the next 5+ years, but I think the front office can plainly see (just like everyone else can) that Jarvis is a very important piece of this team in terms of his locker room/leadership type roles.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, braylon said:

This isn't Madden. There are ramifications for letting go of a guy like Landry. I'm not necessarily saying we're a lock to keep him in Cleveland for the next 5+ years, but I think the front office can plainly see (just like everyone else can) that Jarvis is a very important piece of this team in terms of his locker room/leadership type roles.

Yup That's what I'm saying, his value extends beyond the field. I'm not sure he's worth the current contract he is on but I'm also not paying Jarvis for strictly what he does on the field, I'm paying him for being one of the biggest, if not the biggest leader/capitan on the team.

You guts make me sick your advocating starting dpj and Higgins against Kc and Tampa. 

How about Pittsburgh then you would advocate to draft Wr what happens if 8 wr go in the first round

AND 10 GO before the second pick Name your 19 pick  that is better than Landry 

Also if Obj comes out in this draft he would be 2nd of the board. 

Also the new TV ensures that Obj

Contract will be small in comparison to his fellow wr receivers.

You guys act like 1200 yard receivers are easy to get Read my lips Berry has or Sascha have not drafted any 1000 yard receivers.

Come on guys we are only 1 correct call by a official from having pushed kc to the brink of elimination just continue with this course.

Before I give away a wr I want to see Berry draft a 1000 yard receiver.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think that is overeating our wr. 

Higgins got nothing on the open market. 

Obj wasnt on pace for a 1k yard even if you take out the bengals game. He didnt even have a 100 yard game as a reciever

Jarvis had one  game for 100 yards. 

We have the most over payed receivers in the league with Landry and OBJ, and it's more likely they are both off the roster next year than on it.

This doesn’t mean he isn’t good or important. Other teams really messed up not signing him. He has never dropped a pass in his career and made big catch after big catch for us. He’s incredibly underrated by the league and by our own fan base. 

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

Yeah this is the last year of both OBJ and Landry, methinks. Unless they take massive pay cuts, they won't be back. We don't need them, to be honest. We can replace them with relative ease for a fraction of the cost. In this offensive system, you need the OL in place and then the rest of the offensive roster can kind of be pieced together...especially if you have the QB in place. That's the beauty of this scheme. Any RB/WR/TE can have success, so long as they're disciplined and know how to play within the scheme.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again now, if we’re moving on from both of those guys next year, we’d be wise to invest something somewhat significant into the position this year.

Im not saying a first per se, but a day 2 pick that would be given a year to develop would be great.

I hate depending on rookies, especially when you don’t have to.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again now, if we’re moving on from both of those guys next year, we’d be wise to invest something somewhat significant into the position this year.

Im not saying a first per se, but a day 2 pick that would be given a year to develop would be great.

I hate depending on rookies, especially when you don’t have to.

Especially when Baker looked so good down the stretch. Give him this year and continue to cement himself and give him confidence, poise, and all of that, and then Year 5 you can afford to do a move like this. This year, IMO, it doesn't make any sense, unless you feel confident in trading OBJ and get some value in return.

JMHO

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Especially when Baker looked so good down the stretch. Give him this year and continue to cement himself and give him confidence, poise, and all of that, and then Year 5 you can afford to do a move like this. This year, IMO, it doesn't make any sense, unless you feel confident in trading OBJ and get some value in return.

JMHO

I can’t imagine OBJ having any value at all tbh with the cap going down, his lack of production over multiple years and coming off an ACL tear.

He and Juice are for sure here this season but we need to start looking at a succession plan.  Moving on from both of them (and potentially Higgins, Natson and Hodge who are only under contract for next season) without someone Baker has had some time to build a rapport with isn’t wise imo.

I still think they're going to trade up for either a WR or a CB. This team is to the point where they need to be aggressive in the early part of the draft, I hope they dont sit idly by and let it fall, I hope they go get who they want

Waddle, Horn or Surtain

Edited by TeHDruiD

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I can’t imagine OBJ having any value at all tbh with the cap going down, his lack of production over multiple years and coming off an ACL tear.

I guess that's what I'm saying. He's not warranting a R2 pick even, so I'd just as soon hold him for a year and hope for the best at this point. HOPEFULLY it was Freddie's season and the COVID offseason and new system holding things back, but it's hard to ignore the correlation with No OBJ=Great Baker and OBJ=Awful Baker, so I'm a bit nervous personally.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He and Juice are for sure here this season but we need to start looking at a succession plan.  Moving on from both of them (and potentially Higgins, Natson and Hodge who are only under contract for next season) without someone Baker has had some time to build a rapport with isn’t wise imo.

I actually have the WR spot as one I'd like to address with 2 picks in R1/R2 over the next 2 drafts for this reason. Throw in the loss of Njoku (meh), that's still another guy Baker loses that he has rapport with.

It's time to look at getting ahead of this before it's too late IMO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

I still think they're going to trade up for either a WR or a CB. This team is to the point where they need to be aggressive in the early part of the draft, I hope they dont sit idly by and let it fall, I hope they go get who they want

I disagree slightly.  While I agree that we don't want to miss out on our targets, I personally couldn't justify a move-up unless someone they have ranked SUPER high falls to the late teens.  The depth of this team needs to improve quite a bit.  Our past years of dismal drafts left the cupboard fairly bare in several position groups, and we need to re-stock the cupboard.

We don't need to necessarily keep all our picks, but we need reliable and upgraded depth on our roster.  And with the number of big contracts we're gonna be shelling out in the near future, we need the depth to be cheap.  Gotta strengthen it through the draft.

Keep most of our picks.  Maybe a selective trade-up or two.  Maybe a selective trade down or two to gain a couple future picks.  Keep the young talent coming in the door.  Our FO needs to take our roster to the next level by improvement through the draft.

• Like 3