Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

Also, for what it's worth, I see us in the future with our analytics guys and philosophy, letting higher priced guys in "non essential" positions walk so that we can start landing high compensation picks. Unfortunately, that means losing guys like Conklin and maybe even Wyatt Teller should he price himself out this year, and then using said compensation picks and others to address those areas of need, without acquiring "big market free agents".

10 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I disagree slightly.  While I agree that we don't want to miss out on our targets, I personally couldn't justify a move-up unless someone they have ranked SUPER high falls to the late teens.  The depth of this team needs to improve quite a bit.  Our past years of dismal drafts left the cupboard fairly bare in several position groups, and we need to re-stock the cupboard.

We don't need to necessarily keep all our picks, but we need reliable and upgraded depth on our roster.  And with the number of big contracts we're gonna be shelling out in the near future, we need the depth to be cheap.  Gotta strengthen it through the draft.

Keep most of our picks.  Maybe a selective trade-up or two.  Maybe a selective trade down or two to gain a couple future picks.  Keep the young talent coming in the door.  Our FO needs to take our roster to the next level by improvement through the draft.

I agree, it's a double edged sword because elite talent can come from anywhere in the draft. I guess my hang up is the amount of players who suffered injuries and lack of medical checks makes some of these guys sketchy to me. 

For me if you're spending on quality needs (S, CB, DE) you're positioning yourself to target specific players in the middle of the 1st where it's not going to cost too much to go get them. Or you're leaving yourself open to take whatever falls but I have a feeling they're not going to sit back and wait. My gut says someone is going to become their must have and is more valuable than a few late picks at the end of the rounds

Butttttt these are analytics guys and an ego comes with that. More picks the better no doubt. Njoku and OBJ are chess pieces in this draft as well

1 hour ago, TeHDruiD said:

I still think they're going to trade up for either a WR or a CB. This team is to the point where they need to be aggressive in the early part of the draft, I hope they dont sit idly by and let it fall, I hope they go get who they want

Waddle, Horn or Surtain

I’d be shocked if they make a big move as it’s not backed analytically.

Perhaps if the cost is minimal, but I wouldn’t expect a big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

I disagree slightly.  While I agree that we don't want to miss out on our targets, I personally couldn't justify a move-up unless someone they have ranked SUPER high falls to the late teens.  The depth of this team needs to improve quite a bit.  Our past years of dismal drafts left the cupboard fairly bare in several position groups, and we need to re-stock the cupboard.

We don't need to necessarily keep all our picks, but we need reliable and upgraded depth on our roster.  And with the number of big contracts we're gonna be shelling out in the near future, we need the depth to be cheap.  Gotta strengthen it through the draft.

Keep most of our picks.  Maybe a selective trade-up or two.  Maybe a selective trade down or two to gain a couple future picks.  Keep the young talent coming in the door.  Our FO needs to take our roster to the next level by improvement through the draft.

This guy gets it.

1st: Gregory Rousseau DE Miami Fl.
2nd: Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse
3rd: Chaz Surratt WLB North Carolina
3rd: Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State
4th: Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma State
4th: Tamorrion Terry WR Florida State
5th: Garrett Wallow WLB TCU
6th: Paddy Fisher MLB Northwestern
7th: Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue
UDFA: Justin Hall WR Ball State

*2022 WR Depth Chart:

#1: Tylan Wallace
#2: Rashard Higgins
#3: Tamorrion Terry
#4: Donovan Peoples-Jones
#5: Khadarel Hodge
#6: Justin Hall

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cheap. We wouldn't have a true #1 unless Terry/Wallace hits big, but that's a strong cast for this offense. We could sign or draft a #1 if we really needed to next off-season.

47 minutes ago, sonny44 said:

"non essential" positions, what's that?

OL, with our success in the running game?

Guard.  It’s not hard to find a competent OG.  You don’t need to have two 8 figure a year guards to have a good run game.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

I'm starting to come around on Clowney. I still think he lacks the work ethic to be great but the upside is there. Low risk, high reward, really no reason for me to be against it

We don’t need him to be great. Just be a good number 2 and keep Lamar in check. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sonny44 said:

"non essential" positions, what's that?

OL, with our success in the running game?

Typically, that just means a position in today's NFL that isn't a Quarterback, LT, EDGE, or CB position. While you need capable players at every position, the analytics approach is that the other positions, given the price points, would be more luxury positions, whereas having a great to elite player at those "essential" spots are a MUST.

So, for example, the consensus would be to let Wyatt Teller walk (that would suck) and replace him with a solid replacement level player that is more average to good (or great if you can get a steal) and save tens of millions of dollars to load up elsewhere, and simultaneously netting a compensation pick, therefore doubling up.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Typically, that just means a position in today's NFL that isn't a Quarterback, LT, EDGE, or CB position. While you need capable players at every position, the analytics approach is that the other positions, given the price points, would be more luxury positions, whereas having a great to elite player at those "essential" spots are a MUST.

So, for example, the consensus would be to let Wyatt Teller walk (that would suck) and replace him with a solid replacement level player that is more average to good (or great if you can get a steal) and save tens of millions of dollars to load up elsewhere, and simultaneously netting a compensation pick, therefore doubling up.

He’ll ignore this response and come back in a week or two telling us how we should run the triple option or some ish...

8 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

1st: Gregory Rousseau DE Miami Fl.

giphy.gif

2nd: Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse

QQeZcZL.gif

3rd: Chaz Surratt WLB North Carolina

t9bScLe.gif

3rd: Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State

AbsoluteIncompatibleBluefish-max-1mb.gif

4th: Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma State

tenor.gif

From a value standpoint, this is arguably my favorite scenario. I'd personally prefer Samuel as opposed to Melifonwu, but I understand those that perhaps wouldn't, especially in complimenting Hill and Ward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

From a value standpoint, this is arguably my favorite scenario. I'd personally prefer Samuel as opposed to Melifonwu, but I understand those that perhaps wouldn't, especially in complimenting Hill and Ward.

Oh I'd take Samuel over Melifonwu too, but he'll be long gone. Might not be there when we pick, even.