Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’ll ignore this response and come back in a week or two telling us how we should run the triple option or some ish...

I see you already responded in a much more succinct and probably deserving manner while I was typing up and wasting my well thought out response...

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Guard.  It’s not hard to find a competent OG.  You don’t need to have two 8 figure a year guards to have a good run game.

Yeah, let's say you even did something "stupid" and drafted Wyatt Davis in the 2nd, who then jumps in next year and starts. Let's also say that he's really solid. 

59 CLE         $5,599,887 $1,432,645 $1,018,161

Translation: 4 years, roughly $5.5 million

compared to:

Joe Thuney, who is making $16 million ANNUALLY (3 year, $48 million)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Oh I'd take Samuel over Melifonwu too, but he'll be long gone. Might not be there when we pick, even.

Give me Trey Sermon in the 4th instead of the FSU WR and that's ideal for me. I'd always like to have 3 capable RB's in this scheme. The likelihood of having both Chubb and Hunt healthy is very low. 

We’ve already got a blueprint for who is essential as a player. Ogunjobi got the boot despite being a solid rotational piece. Conversely, Higgins got a one year deal. I think the year to year deals are going to be a staple of the front office for anyone who isn’t a top tier talent. Pretty much every guy on defense on a one year deal was let go. It makes sense because they mostly sucked. But keeping the money freed up is what’s most important.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

We’ve already got a blueprint for who is essential as a player. Ogunjobi got the boot despite being a solid rotational piece. Conversely, Higgins got a one year deal. I think the year to year deals are going to be a staple of the front office for anyone who isn’t a top tier talent. Pretty much every guy on defense on a one year deal was let go. It makes sense because they mostly sucked. But keeping the money freed up is what’s most important.  

I think their idea is to retain guys who aren’t easily replaced .  If you’re a replacement level player, or play a position that isn’t particularly hard to fill with a decent player, you’re likely not going to get a monster deal.

Like any FO I’m sure they’d love to keep everyone, but the salary cap is what it is.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
Fingers faster than brain and mwil makes fun of me

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I see you already responded in a much more succinct and probably deserving manner while I was typing up and wasting my well thought out response...

Yeah, let's say you even did something "stupid" and drafted Wyatt Davis in the 2nd, who then jumps in next year and starts. Let's also say that he's really solid. 

59 CLE         $5,599,887 $1,432,645 $1,018,161

Translation: 4 years, roughly $5.5 million

compared to:

Joe Thuney, who is making $16 million ANNUALLY (3 year, $48 million)

BuT wE dOn’T NeeD a GuaRd!!!

Yeah I agree, draft good players, have a succession plan, etc.  I’d rather they draft a good player at a position they don’t need than a bad one at a position they do.  That doesn’t help.

Finding good players in the draft, regardless of position, is the goal.  They either help your team or help your cap situation allowing you to spend the money elsewhere and help the team there.

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

BuT wE dOn’T NeeD a GuaRd!!!

This font or this gif basically always gets a like from me.

tenor.gif

Yeah I agree, draft good players, have a succession plan, etc.  I’d rather they draft a good player at a position they don’t need than a bad one at a position they do.  That doesn’t help.

Bitonio is getting older (and he's expensive), as is Tretter. Our WR corps is 2 years away from being completely gone, and Hunt will be on the last year of his contract, and we still haven't re-signed Chubb.

Ironically, 2023 and beyond is almost completely up in the air on paper.

I won't complain one bit if they go all in and continue to just reload the OL every other year to keep this ground and pound and protect Baker scheme going.

Finding good players in the draft, regardless of position, is the goal.  They either help your team or help your cap situation allowing you to spend the money elsewhere and help the team there.

Exactly

Comp picks are just a bonus, but the cap flexibility to address these positions and the fallout is critical.

Just now, Reginaldm9 said:

Also I can’t wait to see the responses when we decide to franchise tag Chubb rather than back the Brinks truck up. 

I just had this conversation the other day with @NateDawg. We both hope that they re-sign him, but I'd all but guarantee they Franchise Tag him in 2022.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the transition tag could be in play for Chubb tbh, franchise for sure.

That's the one thing I faulted Sashi for the most with Schwartz. Instead of using it on him, they just pulled their offer. 

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's the one thing I faulted Sashi for the most with Schwartz. Instead of using it on him, they just pulled their offer. 

I can see it both ways.

On one side you were willing to pay that, so just do it.

On the other I get wanting to establish the fact you’re not just going to be used as leverage to get better contracts from other teams.

I don’t think Sashi made the right call, but I get the rationale.

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Higgins got nothing on the open market. 

no WR got anything on the open market tho. Higgins had a good season last year and was one of the few WRs who actually got a decent amount of targets and avg 16yards a catch. believe only 9 total WRs did that last year and Hollywood was one of them 

We have some tough decisions to make soon.  I love Landry on the field and in the locker room.  But our culture has changed.  Losing him won’t destroy it.  We can thank him for being a part of that for years to come.  I do think he walks.

That said, just call me Nostradamus.  Higgins has a very solid year again, and this time will be rewarded by the Browns.  Not with a bank breaking contract but a solid 3 to 4 year deal.  He can replace Juice on the field.

OBJ will not be back.  He just isn’t that good anymore.

moneyball.  Chubb will be gone.  

Njoku will be gone.

RBs we have Hunt and we will have another guy drafted to split with him.  Possibly a mid round draft pick this year to be groomed.

dpj may or may not be able to step in as a starter.  It depends on if he develops this year.

We are going to cash in on comp picks.  This I think is our last year of big FA signings for a while.  When Landry, OBJ, Chubb, Njoku all leave at the same time for big contracts we will own the middle of the 2023 draft because of it.

our dollars next year will be to pay Baker, Ward, and teller.