Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

46 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I have been hearing whisperings of him possibly resigning.  Some are from random twitter people and some are from Mary Kay (which I don't like reading or ever believing) but I want to believe....

If true, I imagine it's gonna take at least a few days.  If he was gonna re-sign with us right away, then he would've agreed to a re-structure/pay cut.

If he can beat the Browns' number in the open market, he's gone.  If not, he may come back at a lower number to us.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 5:16 PM, NudeTayne said:

Maurice Hurst, DT, just got cut by the Raiders. He might be a good get and is still relatively young.

As far as I can tell, he cleared waivers.  That's surprising, seeing as he was still on his rookie deal.

Must be something else going on with this one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

If true, I imagine it's gonna take at least a few days.  If he was gonna re-sign with us right away, then he would've agreed to a re-structure/pay cut.

If he can beat the Browns' number in the open market, he's gone.  If not, he may come back at a lower number to us.

I don't think that's a bad way to handle it.  I actually like how Berry and Co are handling that because if we couldn't keep him, were giving him the opportunity to do the best for he and his family, and if that's with us he can still stay!  It makes him happier about taking a pay cut too because he knows were not being unfair about it.

7 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

As far as I can tell, he cleared waivers.  That's surprising, seeing as he was still on his rookie deal.

Must be something else going on with this one.

Yeah I thought the same thing.  He's got to be dealing with something or may be a problem child.  Also there was a reason he dropped so far in the draft right?

9 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Thats right!  Well then I don't see that as a reason he was cut from the Raiders.

I would love to know what it was.

Yeah, it's a good question. Because the guy who started over him is pretty universally considered to have played much, much worse than him.

I have a low view of that coaching staff, so I'm willing to chalk it up to incompetence and personality dynamics. But obviously I don't know for sure and could definitely be wrong.

The guy's college film is INSANE. Not sure I've seen another DT his size use OGs as battering rams to beat their own QBs into submission the way he did in NCAA.

23 minutes ago, FGK said:

Yeah, it's a good question. Because the guy who started over him is pretty universally considered to have played much, much worse than him.

I have a low view of that coaching staff, so I'm willing to chalk it up to incompetence and personality dynamics. But obviously I don't know for sure and could definitely be wrong.

The guy's college film is INSANE. Not sure I've seen another DT his size use OGs as battering rams to beat their own QBs into submission the way he did in NCAA.

And honestly when we played him his rookie year, I thought he CONSTANTLY got to the QB and put pressure on him.

Not much of a run defender but he can certainly rush the passer.

21 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Not much of a run defender but he can certainly rush the passer.

Yeah, he's definitely a penetrating, upfield focused DT as opposed to more of a space eater. But that does sometimes make for splash plays in the run game when he ends up in the backfield during the handoff. But yeah, you're not signing him to dramatically upgrade your run defense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Something tells me with drafting Tommy Togiai, signing Marvin Wilson, and taking a shot at Malik Jackson, that we can now be pretty confident we're not expecting Richardson back :-P.

That being said I like the signings of McDowell and Wilson, these are low risk high reward signings.  If they don't work out, okay.  If they do, that's only better for us!

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Something tells me with drafting Tommy Togiai, signing Marvin Wilson, and taking a shot at Malik Jackson, that we can now be pretty confident we're not expecting Richardson back :-P.

That being said I like the signings of McDowell and Wilson, these are low risk high reward signings.  If they don't work out, okay.  If they do, that's only better for us!

= genius

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

McDowell is only 24. He was a monster at Michigan State and gave OSU problems.

Heck, he was supposed to go to tOSU. Larry Johnson has to be going nuts with all of the almost Buckeyes on the team.

Marvin Wilson

Jadeveon Clowney

Myles Garrett

Malik McDowell

Porter Gustin

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1