What kind of OFFENSE would you build?

Hunter2_1

If you were a GM (or coach) and given the reigns of a team, with a blank slate, to craft an offense to win titles, what type of offense would you go for? Or what style would you prefer? So essentially, you are given freedom to coordinate your favoured style of offense, and you'd have chances to include your players that fit into the scheme through drafting and FA etc

Some ideas;

- Vertical passing attack where you look to make big plays and dominate through the air. Usually you have talented receivers, speed and size out wide. 

- A quick passing offense, where you negate a pass rush by making 2 or 3 step drops and pass. Usually involves shallow crossing routes, rub routes, spacing plays, slant/flat concepts etc. With this ideology, you'd usually control clock and take small chunks all the way down the field when it's most efficient. Example: Patriots 2016.

- An emphasis on the ground, running the ball. Controlling the game, clock and "taking their will". You have smart and dominant run blocking linemen and a RB to take advantage. 

- Spread Option. Primarily used out the shotgun formation and uses multiple wide receivers. Running game is based on the quarterback making multiple option reads based on the defense's alignment.

- Up tempo/no huddle. Tire and confuse the defense

For me, I quite like the idea of dominating the time of possession. Particularly when going up AGAINST a good offense. 

I'd employ a quick passing style, throwing to set up run, and really try and control the clock. I'd need shifty receivers that can intelligently find space, and I'd need a running back that can make yards between the tackles and outside, and be an option for hot throws. The OL isn't AS important, as my QB would be getting rid of the ball before a pass rush can materialise. 

Positives: You keep the opposition offense off the field, you tire the defense which opens up opportunities, you negate a pass rush, you demoralise the D with 3rd down conversions (if all goes to plan)

Negtives: You risk not making enough yardage to score, you're on the field a long time so more opportunity for the D to turn you over, it is hard to get a big play which is often the difference. 

I would go for a solid franchise QB and build my offense around his skill set. Setting out any offense or defense without knowing how the talent fits in, just does not work. You build around the skills of the players you have, you never try to force a system on your team that does not suit their talents.

2 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I would go for a solid franchise QB and build my offense around his skill set. Setting out any offense or defense without knowing how the talent fits in, just does not work. You build around the skills of the players you have, you never try to force a system on your team that does not suit their talents.

Yes, you build around the skills of the players you have. In this case, you get to draft and bring those players in. So, what type of players/offensive strategy would you prefer? 

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yes, you build around the skills of the players you have. In this case, you get to draft and bring those players in. So, what type of players/offensive strategy would you prefer? 

You make it sound like I can have any type of franchise QB I want, but in real life, it just does not work that way. You have to be very lucky to get a franchise QB never mind choosing his skill set.

Anyway, I like Dallas' offense, I am old school and like running the ball to set up the pass, but I would definitely prefer a stronger QB than Dak, one, who can really take advantage of team's defenses stacked up to defend the run. In that system, I would want a vertical passing attack to take advantage of the single coverage my receivers would be getting against a defense concentrating on stopping the run.

1 minute ago, Iamcanadian said:

You make it sound like I can have any type of franchise QB I want, but in real life, it just does not work that way. You have to be very lucky to get a franchise QB never mind choosing his skill set.

Anyway, I like Dallas' offense, I am old school and like running the ball to set up the pass, but I would definitely prefer a stronger QB than Dak, one, who can really take advantage of team's defenses stacked up to defend the run. In that system, I would want a vertical passing attack to take advantage of the single coverage my receivers would be getting against a defense concentrating on stopping the run.

Yeah but in real life we don't have Brady vs Rodgers in an ability-off. This forum is for fun :)

Yeah, another way is just "what's your favourite type of offense". Old school running to set up the pass! Boom. 

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah but in real life we don't have Brady vs Rodgers in an ability-off. This forum is for fun :)

Yeah, another way is just "what's your favourite type of offense". Old school running to set up the pass! Boom. 

I can actually see more teams taking my approach, over the last dozen years, defenders have gotten smaller, quicker and faster to defend the pass as their #1 priority, but they are a lot weaker as run defenders and OC's and HC's are soon going to be looking for ways to expose these weaknesses by running the ball a lot more.

On average, running the ball still makes up around 33% of a team's offense, but I could see the 50/50 approach fast coming, especially as you do not need a great franchise QB to run it, see: Dak and your need for a great LT is also not as great.

I think real changes are coming to pro football offenses, it just makes common sense to attack team's weaknesses and if those weaknesses include defenders designed to defend only the pass, then why not attack them by running the ball????

Something like a quick passing attack for the air assault. I wouldn't want my signal caller taking a lot of hits or sacks. Also utilizing the backs and tight ends with quick strikes when necessary. Obviously pages from the book of Walsh which everyone has in their pockets at this point regardless what they run. I've always been a fan though of what Shanahan and Kubiak did with their offenses. Especially in the late 90's when I I think it was at it's finest with the talent on the Broncos roster at the time. Boot legs and rollouts along with that ZBS where they basically ran the same play over and over again on the ground for Davis, Gary, or Anderson when his time came. So I guess the offensive line would have to be able to be quite nimble (I know the best ones are of course) and move themselves quickly like jack rabbits compared to some bigger boys. 

30 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I can actually see more teams taking my approach, over the last dozen years, defenders have gotten smaller, quicker and faster to defend the pass as their #1 priority, but they are a lot weaker as run defenders and OC's and HC's are soon going to be looking for ways to expose these weaknesses by running the ball a lot more.

On average, running the ball still makes up around 33% of a team's offense, but I could see the 50/50 approach fast coming, especially as you do not need a great franchise QB to run it, see: Dak and your need for a great LT is also not as great.

I think real changes are coming to pro football offenses, it just makes common sense to attack team's weaknesses and if those weaknesses include defenders designed to defend only the pass, then why not attack them by running the ball????

Well I tell you what, watching Pittsburgh ram it down Kansas City's throat last night, reminded me of the good old muddy, iron-fisted days. If you can't stop the offense ripping off 6-8 yards per carry, you're going to lose all the time. 

11 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

pretty much this.

personally i would love to run something what the jags are running right now. just need that QB upgrade tho. 

Jags are just running power aren't they? Whilst simultaneously not allowing Bortles to torpedo their season 

20 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well I tell you what, watching Pittsburgh ram it down Kansas City's throat last night, reminded me of the good old muddy, iron-fisted days. If you can't stop the offense ripping off 6-8 yards per carry, you're going to lose all the time. 

Should have watched the jags-steelers the prior week. Jags ran the ball 12 straight times on a drive. 

For w.e reason the steelers thought it would be smart and try to beat the jags passing the ball

Archived