Hunter likes tweets about being traded

babababa

After what the Vikings went through with Diggs they now have Hunter liking tweets about being traded to the Raiders and Titans. He apparently hadn't had twitter activity since December and you'd think he'd be aware of what this sort of thing did for Diggs. He probably knows all too well. The tweet-likes happened on Friday -- a day after the Spielman press conference where he claimed that Hunter had not requested a trade or sought a new contract. The greater picture in this timing is that NFL FA is a little over a week away.

https://purpleptsd.com/hunter-enters-rumor-mill/

https://thevikingage.com/2021/03/06/4-trade-destinations-danielle-hunter-minnesota-vikings/

https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/general-news/it-begins-danielle-hunter-has-liked-multiple-trade-related-tweets

29 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

This defense is going to be good this year. Why don’t they just pay Hunter already. Would seem to be the logical move if he is severely underpaid (he is).

Because they’re are other priorities right now. The Vikings don’t need to pay Hunter right now. Right now they need to focus on getting under the salary cap. 

Hunter really doesn’t have the leverage to get a new deal done, other than simply keeping a star player happy. And that can be done at a later date. 

Hunter wants to get paid more, he deserves to get paid more, but that contract can be worked on in April, or May, or June, etc. And there should be zero reason to believe that a deal won’t get done at some point based on the Vikings history of redoing deals to increase a players earnings (Thielen, Joseph, Griffen, etc).

Edited by SemperFeist

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Fans shouldn’t let their PTSD from the Diggs situation affect the way they view this Hunter situation. Nothing reported should indicate that they are remotely similar. 

Hunter is the best viking and is easily top 3 defender. 

Playing devils advocate: how many other Vikings have done the cryptic tweet or likes since diggs?

Assuming there is no legs is likely not the absolute smartest move. Hunter did just see how publically displaying displeasure got Diggs where he want (and a new contract to boot too).

I'd prefer we approach Hunter camp and see if there is resolution possible. Hunter does have leverage, he could sit out and get paid and say it's cause he is not 100% yet. 

• Like 1

I didn’t say there were no legs to Hunter being unhappy, I said their situations weren’t similar. 

Diggs didn’t want to be in Minnesota because of how the team had decided to operate. He didn’t like their offensive philosophy.  He didn’t like the QB. Take your pick. But there was never a report that his desire to leave Minnesota was based on financial reasons. He flat out didn’t want to play for the Minnesota Vikings anymore.

However, with Hunter, every report/rumor surrounding him has been 100% financial based. Hunter wants to be paid more. And he should be paid more. It’s an easy resolution.

And sitting out because he’s “not 100%” isn’t leverage. Missing games for two consecutive seasons isn’t going to get him a contract from anyone. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

I don't think the Vikings, or any other team, would give Hunter a raise right now unless it allows them an easy out. He didn't play last year because of a neck injury. No one knows what he's going to look like next season. If he's showing out the first few weeks of the season, get an extension done. If not, well, see where it goes. 

• Like 2

Not too serious right now and not going to freak out. Clearly was a jab at Rick about not asking to be the highest paid player comment.

Vikings should and will bump his pay. Vikings won't get the proper trade value for him. Zim and Rick who could be gone this year already saw what this unit can do without Hunter and it wasn't much.

26 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't really buy into the rumors,  but what would it take for people to accept a trade if he won't play for anything less than being the highest paid defensive player?

Whatever the Raiders got for Mack. Plus a starter on the O-line. But no one is giving that. 

• Like 3

"The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019 to acquire Mack earlier Saturday. In return, the Bears also received a second-round pick in 2020 and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2020."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

You would think there are teams that would give that much up for Hunter, assuming there are provisions made for injury issues.

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I didn’t say there were no legs to Hunter being unhappy, I said their situations weren’t similar. 

Diggs didn’t want to be in Minnesota because of how the team had decided to operate. He didn’t like their offensive philosophy.  He didn’t like the QB. Take your pick. But there was never a report that his desire to leave Minnesota was based on financial reasons. He flat out didn’t want to play for the Minnesota Vikings anymore.

However, with Hunter, every report/rumor surrounding him has been 100% financial based. Hunter wants to be paid more. And he should be paid more. It’s an easy resolution.

And sitting out because he’s “not 100%” isn’t leverage. Missing games for two consecutive seasons isn’t going to get him a contract from anyone. 

I agree. 

If I was Rick though I'd be concerned. I'd make it a priority to talk to him right away. He needs to know whether or not Hunter is willing to accept waiting another year for whatever he's seeking financially. If a contract restructure has to happen this offseason with him he needs to give the team time to make that happen.

I would have thought Hunter would've been less passive aggressive about making his voice heard. 

To me, if I was Rick, and Hunter came away from the meeting unhappy, I'd be looking to trade him.