Hunter likes tweets about being traded

babababa

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The problem is then you're setting a precedent within the organization that a player can complain about a contract that still has 3 yrs left on it.  It's more than just about him.  He didn't have to sign that long of an extension in 2018.  He put himself in this situation.

While there were never any public reports of wanting a new contract, the Vikings signed Everson Griffen to a new contract extension three years into his five year contract. Hunter is now three years into his contract.

The precedent already exists. 

Edited by SemperFeist

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

While there were never any public reports of wanting a new contract, the Vikings signed Everson Griffen to a new contract extension three years into his five year contract. Hunter is now three years into his contract.

The precedent already exists. 

The important part is on what's left in the contract, not what has passed.  That's the precedent.  What's to stop then some guy signing a 4 year deal, having an All-Pro season in the 1st year and then clamoring for an extension since he's now outperformed it?   That's obviously an extreme example, but teams care about what's left in the contract.     

Edited by swede700

27 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think there’s always going to have to be an exception for superstars going forward. This line of thinking that they just signed a deal and should honor it is so outdated. As the cap explodes, a new bar for comp is set and someone like Hunter quickly becomes underpaid after three years.

Elite players and well managed teams should really look into a % of cap for comp, would eliminate the ballooning of comp after just two years. Hunter not being a top 15 paid edge rusher is a joke. 

If Spielman and Co expect to be competitive they can’t be reactive. They should see the gross discrepancy in comp before it becomes an issue. Besides Kendricks, Smith and Hunter, the defense is largely below average across the board. Why jeopardize one young building block. 

While under most circumstances, I'd agree, but the reality is that he's also coming off a serious injury, which has to be taken into account.  I know I'd be more open to it if the injury had not taken place, but the whole situations surrounding what happened with both Daunte and Adrian soured me to that type of tactic being used.  You need to prove that you're healthy first before I consider renegotiating your contract that has 3 yrs left on it.  For me, it's in the similar nature of what if Sharrif Floyd had started demanding a renegotiation of his contract after his unfortunate surgery mishap.  

23 hours ago, babababa said:

I would have thought Hunter would've been less passive aggressive about making his voice heard. 

Liking someone else's tweets about being traded is as passive/aggressive as it gets.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

The only issue I have is that it doesn't appear that the organization has ever treated Hunter (or even Diggs for that matter) poorly, so it's kind of disappointing that he's chosen to go the veiled social media route to make his displeasure with the situation known.  He's in his mid-20s and has a lot of free time, so it's not necessarily unsurprising, but I would have hoped that he, or the people around him, would be aware enough to know that doing so isn't going to help his cause in the court of public opinion.  While it won't receive the mocking backlash like the "clown" emoji from Hercules Mata'afa after he got released, it's not going to win him any favors either.   

I'm thinking that it makes absolute sense.  He had a very serious neck injury.  He knows that his career could end with another one.  He is anxious and afraid and is in need of security...financially and psychologically.

7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I'm thinking that it makes absolute sense.  He had a very serious neck injury.  He knows that his career could end with another one.  He is anxious and afraid and is in need of security...financially and psychologically.

You said it a lot better than I did

57 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Well, there's better ways to handle it than doing it that way.  Plus, his career could end at any moment regardless, so I'm not buying it.  

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m guessing you’ve never asked for a raise?

He got a raise!!! His base salary was in 1.9 million. The following year he went to 9.4 million.. That is raise of almost 500% percent??? He is making 12.1 million this year. 

So again, just shut up and play the game because he got his raise..

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

He got a raise!!! His base salary was in 1.9 million. The following year he went to 9.4 million.. That is raise of almost 500% percent??? He is making 12.1 million this year

I forgot, employees are only allowed to ask for one raise throughout their careers. 

Hunter’s current contract does not put him on the same plane as his peers. He’s significantly underpaid based on his level of production compared to the production of others. 

Asking to be paid what you are worth is perfectly fair. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

While under most circumstances, I'd agree, but the reality is that he's also coming off a serious injury, which has to be taken into account.  I know I'd be more open to it if the injury had not taken place, but the whole situations surrounding what happened with both Daunte and Adrian soured me to that type of tactic being used.  You need to prove that you're healthy first before I consider renegotiating your contract that has 3 yrs left on it.  For me, it's in the similar nature of what if Sharrif Floyd had started demanding a renegotiation of his contract after his unfortunate surgery mishap.  

So your proving a point that if Vikings don't want to give him a further pay raise (based on his play, his injury and/or playing on a non-contender), they should trade him. 

There is a "superstar" exemption whether we believe it or not. 

Edited by CriminalMind

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I forgot, employees are only allowed to ask for one raise throughout their careers. 

Hunter’s current contract does not put him on the same plane as his peers. He’s significantly underpaid based on his level of production compared to the production of others. 

Asking to be paid what you are worth is perfectly fair. 

It’s not about asking. If you go out and prove yourself, you get paid. That’s  how it works. He got paid. 

I never heard once “ The best player to ever play the game” ask for a raise. He was so under paid it wasn’t even funny. Yet, all he did is take pay cuts to make his team better. And 7 rings later, Brady still does his job and never asked once. 

Brady traded “pay cuts” in terms of the salary cap for other preferential business deals with Kraft and the Patriots.  Office Space Leasing, getting his TB12 nutritionist on staff, and other future deals  

His wife is also worth twice as much as him, so he doesn’t really have to worry about going out and earning as much as he can in a relatively short career. 

I am expecting something more concrete to be reported from the Hunter camp, possibly within a week.

The best time for hunter camp to get there side on record (if they want extension and/or trade) is before teams spend all their (newly created) cap space. 

And surely the Hunter camp does not care about the cap figure going down this year, making it more difficult. That's Rick's job to figure out.