Hunter likes tweets about being traded

babababa

19 hours ago, babababa said:

I agree. 

If I was Rick though I'd be concerned. I'd make it a priority to talk to him right away. He needs to know whether or not Hunter is willing to accept waiting another year for whatever he's seeking financially. If a contract restructure has to happen this offseason with him he needs to give the team time to make that happen.

I would have thought Hunter would've been less passive aggressive about making his voice heard. 

To me, if I was Rick, and Hunter came away from the meeting unhappy, I'd be looking to trade him.

The bigger question, say if Hunter does want out, why are super stars wanting to leave these organization? Diggs, Hunter now? Is Jefferson next? Maybe it is a money issue and that can be remedied by making some sacrifices elsewhere, which is the correct move. They need to squash this ASAP after the Diggs deal, it doesn’t look good if players are wanting out.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The bigger question, say if Hunter does want out, why are super stars wanting to leave these organization? Diggs, Hunter now? Is Jefferson next? Maybe it is a money issue and that can be remedied by making some sacrifices elsewhere, which is the correct move. They need to squash this ASAP after the Diggs deal, it doesn’t look good if players are wanting out.

What does Hunter have to be unhappy about? They extended him when he was young. He took it. He's set to be the 18th highest paid person at his position. It's not like he's making pennies. What did he do last year to show he's worth more? Nothing. He was on the trainer's table. He still got paid. 

Is he unhappy with the scheme that has made him a superstar? Unhappy with coaches who seem to love him? 

It must be about money. But even so, that's on him and his agent.

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

What does Hunter have to be unhappy about? They extended him when he was young. He took it. He's set to be the 18th highest paid person at his position. It's not like he's making pennies. What did he do last year to show he's worth more? Nothing. He was on the trainer's table. He still got paid. 

Is he unhappy with the scheme that has made him a superstar? Unhappy with coaches who seem to love him? 

It must be about money. But even so, that's on him and his agent.

I think the answer is right there. He’s underpaid as the 18th highest paid player at his position. But to your point, he picked a bad time to want a new deal after the injury and missing the year.

36 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It is actually sickening to me... if you sign a contract, play it out... Just shut up and play the game. If not, retire and work 40 hours a week like all of us..

Should be in every contract for every sport that, when you sign a contract, you play it or you don’t get paid. Period!!!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

It is actually sickening to me... if you sign a contract, play it out... Just shut up and play the game. If not, retire and work 40 hours a week like all of us..

Should be in every contract for every sport that, when you sign a contract, you play it or you don’t get paid. Period!!!!

The problem is it doesn't work the other way. A team can cut you at any point, and if your contract isn't guaranteed, you don't get paid. 

The only issue I have is that it doesn't appear that the organization has ever treated Hunter (or even Diggs for that matter) poorly, so it's kind of disappointing that he's chosen to go the veiled social media route to make his displeasure with the situation known.  He's in his mid-20s and has a lot of free time, so it's not necessarily unsurprising, but I would have hoped that he, or the people around him, would be aware enough to know that doing so isn't going to help his cause in the court of public opinion.  While it won't receive the mocking backlash like the "clown" emoji from Hercules Mata'afa after he got released, it's not going to win him any favors either.   

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The only issue I have is that it doesn't appear that the organization has ever treated Hunter (or even Diggs for that matter) poorly, so it's kind of disappointing that he's chosen to go the veiled social media route to make his displeasure with the situation known.  He's in his mid-20s and has a lot of free time, so it's not necessarily unsurprising, but I would have hoped that he, or the people around him, would be aware enough to know that doing so isn't going to help his cause in the court of public opinion.  While it won't receive the mocking backlash like the "clown" emoji from Hercules Mata'afa after he got released, it's not going to win him any favors either.   

I can see it from the WRs perspective in terms of usage if the system doesn’t fit what you want your production to be. Or if you completely dislike the QB you’re stuck with it, I get WRs who push for better situations since their production is so dependent upon scheme and ability of the QB.

But a DE who’s on a defensive oriented team whos putting up 12+ sacks every year, what more could you want as a DE? Unless he saw how bad the secondary and DT situation is now and wants a better supporting cast. I feel like the growing cap situation (prior to this year) has made it easier for player movement. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing going forward.

Edited by vikingsrule

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

RE: why are super stars wanting to leave these organization

Because they can get paid (higher dollar) and go to a possibly better destination (possibly with better QBs and a better chance to win). I mean why wouldn't they? Being the nice guy, may or may not get you anywhere. In a way, superstars are saying if your not fielding a competitive team (one way or another), I could try and maneuver my way out, with minimal backlash.

I wonder how many players around the NFL like certain tweets to give a cryptic message of what they want. 

I don't blame Hunter for going after the money. I just don't see him getting traded and/or getting an extension until we see how he does coming back from surgery.

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wonder how many players around the NFL like certain tweets to give a cryptic message of what they want. 

I don't blame Hunter for going after the money. I just don't see him getting traded and/or getting an extension until we see how he does coming back from surgery.

Exactly, I don't see it either.
But that don't exactly stop Hunter from voicing his opinion.
He is free to to put it out there for everyone to see (just like any other player)... its just making attention in the media/public because he is a superstar, and there would be potential suitors interested obviously. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Would a restructure be a fair compromise for the short-term?

Hunter gets more money upon signing and the Vikings get some cap relief. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

The problem is then you're setting a precedent within the organization that a player can complain about a contract that still has 3 yrs left on it.  It's more than just about him.  He didn't have to sign that long of an extension in 2018.  He put himself in this situation.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The problem is then you're setting a precedent within the organization that a player can complain about a contract that still has 3 yrs left on it.  It's more than just about him.  He didn't have to sign that long of an extension in 2018.  He put himself in this situation.

Understood, but if the Vikings don't want to set that precedent, they are free to trade Hunter.
Hunter signing a deal in 2018 and putting himself in A situation, doesn't necessarily preclude him from trying to put himself in a better situation now. He has that availability because of his star/superstar play. I am playing devils advocate here. We all know its a copy-cat league, its working for star players, so he could give it a try

Edited by CriminalMind

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think there’s always going to have to be an exception for superstars going forward. This line of thinking that they just signed a deal and should honor it is so outdated. As the cap explodes, a new bar for comp is set and someone like Hunter quickly becomes underpaid after three years.

Elite players and well managed teams should really look into a % of cap for comp, would eliminate the ballooning of comp after just two years. Hunter not being a top 15 paid edge rusher is a joke. 

If Spielman and Co expect to be competitive they can’t be reactive. They should see the gross discrepancy in comp before it becomes an issue. Besides Kendricks, Smith and Hunter, the defense is largely below average across the board. Why jeopardize one young building block.