Hunter likes tweets about being traded

babababa

59 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I am expecting something more concrete to be reported from the Hunter camp, possibly within a week.

The best time for hunter camp to get there side on record (if they want extension and/or trade) is before teams spend all their (newly created) cap space. 

And surely the Hunter camp does not care about the cap figure going down this year, making it more difficult. That's Rick's job to figure out. 

And Rick could certainly say, "We're not trading you and we're not extending you right now."  What is Hunter going to do in that scenario?  Hold out?  He has little to no leverage at this point to make such a demand...and I've said that from day 1.  I certainly have no real issue with him making the request, I just don't like the manner of it.  Just as with Diggs, to me, it's unprofessional to use social media in that manner.  Do it behind the scenes.  Don't take it to the public.  

Edited by swede700

Honestly, he didn't even do anything overtly/covertly on twitter.  He liked posts about himself and about people wanting him... so what?  I don't put this in the Diggs, sub-tweeting and mysterious, message category at all.

• Like 1

Just now, RpMc said:

Honestly, he didn't even do anything overtly/covertly on twitter.  He liked posts about himself and about people wanting him... so what?  I don't put this in the Diggs, sub-tweeting and mysterious, message category at all.

Or working out in another team’s apparel. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And Rick could certainly say, "We're not trading you and we're not extending you right now."  What is Hunter going to do in that scenario?  Hold out?  He has little to no leverage at this point to make such a demand...and I've said that from day 1.  I certainly have no real issue with him making the request, I just don't like the manner of it.  Just as with Diggs, to me, it's unprofessional to use social media in that manner.  Do it behind the scenes.  Don't take it to the public.  

I agree not to take it public. But if Spielman is saying we’re not trading you and we’re not extending you right now, what alternative does Hunter have? Spielman is essentially telling Hunter that they are not going to listen, which is honestly terrible coming from management if you’re trying to build a positive culture that attracts more talent. 

Id normally side with the Vikes on this one, but we’re dealing with a young franchise building block who’s had a HOF trajectory up to this point. Give him what he wants so he doesn’t have to passive aggressively use Twitter. An extra year of Reiff or Barr isn’t worth losing 5+ more years of someone a Hunter’s caliber. 

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The level of speculation in this thread is just astounding.

Along with the lack of understanding.  The salary cap (or Barr/Reiff) isn't standing in the way of a Hunter extension.  They could extend his contract while simultaneously lowering his cap hit for the year;  In fact, that's typically what happens in extensions, and it's something I've brought up multiple times as a way to gain cap relief for this year.

Edited by RpMc

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Along with the lack of understanding.  The salary cap (or Barr/Reiff) isn't standing in the way of a Hunter extension.  They could extend his contract while simultaneously lowering his cap hit for the year;  In fact, that's typically what happens in extensions.

Not to mention that the Vikings have a strong history of rewarding players who outplay their contract. So, there should be no reason to believe that it won’t happen again in regards to Hunter. 

Plus, the team has usually done these types of extensions over the summer. 

26 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Along with the lack of understanding.  The salary cap (or Barr/Reiff) isn't standing in the way of a Hunter extension.  They could extend his contract while simultaneously lowering his cap hit for the year;  In fact, that's typically what happens in extensions, and it's something I've brought up multiple times as a way to gain cap relief for this year.

I'm personally not misunderstanding anything.  I understand they could do it.  I also know the cap isn't standing in the way of it.  What I'm specifically talking about is the bigger picture.  (Now going into my job-speak) It's like how, we in Compliance, like to say how we're different than Legal...Legal people advise you whether you can do something...we advise you whether you should do something.  You can do it either way, that's the risk you take, but I'm just advising you of the risks.  🤣  

On 3/8/2021 at 6:09 AM, Vikes22 said:

It is actually sickening to me... if you sign a contract, play it out... Just shut up and play the game. If not, retire and work 40 hours a week like all of us..

Should be in every contract for every sport that, when you sign a contract, you play it or you don’t get paid. Period!!!!

So, the team shouldn't be able to cut him either, right? Your stance is wrong. A player can be underpaid if they have a contract, or overpaid. Wanting to get fairly compensated, relative to your peers, is not a bad thing. It sickens me that fans take the side of owners so often.....

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

He could sit out and still get paid, and say its injury related, as he is not yet fully recovered.
That's potentially a tremendous amount of leverage.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

He could sit out and still get paid, and say its injury related, as he is not yet fully recovered.
That's potentially a tremendous amount of leverage.

Well, showing up and not participating is certainly one way to handle it, but I wouldn't call that leverage.

Just now, swede700 said:

Well, showing up and not participating is certainly one way to handle it, but I wouldn't call that leverage.

How wouldn't you call that leverage?

He did have neck surgery, he can claim that he is unfortunately just not ready to step on the field and still injured.

He could take this avenue as a way of forcing a trade in training camp/now, if they decide against giving him an extension if that is he what he is after.

If Hunter stays off the field again this year, and gets 100% of pay, partially contributing to a poor Vikings record, one would think that increases the chance of Rick/Zim firing at the end of the year.

It all depends upon whether his ultimate goal is to get a long-term deal or to get traded.  If he wants to get a long-term deal, holding "in" is not a way to get that done.  If he wants to get traded, then sure, I guess you'd consider that leverage...although it could set a bad precedent for his new team and diminish his trade value.  The correct route to take is the Dalvin Cook route...show up, do your job, and the team will take care of you, if that's what you truly want.

If Hunter stays off the field, he doesn’t get full pay, can be fined for not showing up, and a whole host of other things. 

For him to receive his full pay, he’d have to go on injured reserve. For that to happen he has to show up.