Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

Ozzy

EDGE Josh Kaindoh 6056 260 9 1/2 34 1/2 81 7/8 4.70/4.76 VJ 36.5 BJ 10-5 SS 4.38 3C 7.21 BP 21x

Those are not bad numbers for a dude 6-5 260 coming off an injury.  Pretty decent 40 time for such a huge man.  Is a promising player just has had bad injuries the past two seasons.  Surprised he does not have bigger arms and hands than that though. 

Janarius Robinson his teammate is a freak show with 10 7/8" hands and 86 1/4 wingspan, gave good effort on the field but is not a high level athlete.  If he works to improve his quickness he could be something as well.

How much does this hurt him, if at all?

Former Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith won’t be participating in the Crimson Tide’s first of two Pro Days on Tuesday, March 22, he revealed Monday in a Zoom call with reporters.

He will only weigh in to allow NFL teams to have an official weight on him ahead of the draft...

Smith later revealed that he currently weighs 170 pounds three months after his college career ended, a career that saw the Amite, La., native rewrite the Alabama and SEC record books.

Also:

“I feel like it’s not gonna be no different than college,” I played against some of the best in college. I played in the SEC. I feel like it’s the toughest conference there is. I know a lot of people that’s bigger than that have more problems than me, so I’m not worried about it at all.”

I don't think this quote will age well.

8 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

How much does this hurt him, if at all?

Also:

I don't think this quote will age well.

He does have a point, he went up against Eric Stokes, DJ Daniel, Tyson Campbell and all of their blazing 40 times did not really make any different, then there is Myles Jones, Bryce Thompson, Derek Stingley Jr, Roger McCreary, Marco Wilson, Kaiir Elam, Eli Ricks, Shaun Wade, Sevyn Banks, Nick McCloud etc.  All corners will be in the NFL or at least get a very good shot at making the NFL.  And he pretty much dominated them all and none came close to stopping him this year.  

Not to mention the season before with slightly different group with Dantzler, Fulton, Ambry Thomas and Lavert Hill etc.  Ripped it up against South Carolina that year also, who they did not play this year, and that was against Jaycee Horn and Israel Mukuamu and both of them will be drafted this year.  

So he does have a point, he plays against absolutely elite level corners and has done great against them.  But no he is awful because he is light. 

16 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

But he is so much more of a competitor than Chase...

You are right, I guess he should have sat out all season because of COVID-19 and not play because the QB he had was a backup and not as good as Tua and that could have hurt his draft stock.  He should have taken that road instead, not like he accomplished anything this year or improved his stock at all.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He does have a point, he went up against Eric Stokes, DJ Daniel, Tyson Campbell and all of their blazing 40 times did not really make any different, then there is Myles Jones, Bryce Thompson, Derek Stingley Jr, Roger McCreary, Marco Wilson, Kaiir Elam, Eli Ricks, Shaun Wade, Sevyn Banks, Nick McCloud etc.  All corners will be in the NFL or at least get a very good shot at making the NFL.  And he pretty much dominated them all and none came close to stopping him this year.  

Not to mention the season before with slightly different group with Dantzler, Fulton, Ambry Thomas and Lavert Hill etc.  Ripped it up against South Carolina that year also, who they did not play this year, and that was against Jaycee Horn and Israel Mukuamu and both of them will be drafted this year.  

So he does have a point, he plays against absolutely elite level corners and has done great against them.  But no he is awful because he is light. 

You are right, I guess he should have sat out all season because of COVID-19 and not play because the QB he had was a backup and not as good as Tua and that could have hurt his draft stock.  He should have taken that road instead, not like he accomplished anything this year or improved his stock at all.    

Mac Jones is better than Tua though. Why is the kid not willing to compete at the pro day? Nobody said he should sit out but when people sell crap here about guys being more competitive when they know nothing about each of the guys personally and then one of them does the opposite of what he is claimed to be it’s hilarious at the excuses he will get to fit a narrative. 

5 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Mac Jones is better than Tua though. Why is the kid not willing to compete at the pro day? Nobody said he should sit out but when people sell crap here about guys being more competitive when they know nothing about each of the guys personally and then one of them does the opposite of what he is claimed to be it’s hilarious at the excuses he will get to fit a narrative. 

You say Mac Jones is better than Tua before this season started and after the Michigan bowl game?  No you would not and no one thought that before this season.  Mac played great no question but who would have thought that after struggling and not being all that consistent last year when Tua went down.  DeVonta Smith could have easily thought ok my QB will not be as good, I might not be as effective so why should I not just sit out and protect my draft stock.  Oh and I could infect my family with COVID-19 by playing, so why not just sit out.  Which is what Chase did.

Compete?  I thought he was just not running routes and not doing "field drills", you think his route running and hands are in question?  I think he is working out and doing the physical drills, hopefully he is.  Would be disappointing if he does not.  Honestly the on the field work who cares because seriously none of those things are a question.  

The progression he has made from what he was when he came to Alabama to who he is now helps show how hard he works and it is literally proven in his development.  Chase has not had to work as hard because he had more physical gifts coming into it, not to mention a better QB and better receivers around him that one breakout season he had.  And to pretend his competitive nature is not a reason for Smith's drive and success is just being naive.  

He has had people doubt him from day one, you think when he got to Bama people did not say, damn you are too thin to be a good receiver in the SEC.  And look what he did in his career.  Same thing happening now and to pretend that is not just more fuel and drive for him, well it is.  So in a way, great that he is getting such doubt after being so dominating this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

You say Mac Jones is better than Tua before this season started and after the Michigan bowl game?  No you would not and no one thought that before this season.  Mac played great no question but who would have thought that after struggling and not being all that consistent last year when Tua went down.  DeVonta Smith could have easily thought ok my QB will not be as good, I might not be as effective so why should I not just sit out and protect my draft stock.  Oh and I could infect my family with COVID-19 by playing, so why not just sit out.  Which is what Chase did.

Compete?  I thought he was just not running routes and not doing "field drills", you think his route running and hands are in question?  I think he is working out and doing the physical drills, hopefully he is.  Would be disappointing if he does not.  Honestly the on the field work who cares because seriously none of those things are a question.  

The progression he has made from what he was when he came to Alabama to who he is now helps show how hard he works and it is literally proven in his development.  Chase has not had to work as hard because he had more physical gifts coming into it, not to mention a better QB and better receivers around him that one breakout season he had.  And to pretend his competitive nature is not a reason for Smith's drive and success is just being naive.  

He has had people doubt him from day one, you think when he got to Bama people did not say, damn you are too thin to be a good receiver in the SEC.  And look what he did in his career.  Same thing happening now and to pretend that is not just more fuel and drive for him, well it is.  So in a way, great that he is getting such doubt after being so dominating this year.

I’m not doubting his competitiveness but I think it’s funny you can call him more competitive when you don’t know Chase. You don’t know any of these men and what is in their hearts or minds. You haven’t sat down and had a conversation with Chase and why he opted out. So let’s stop pretending like we know. 

17 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I’m not doubting his competitiveness but I think it’s funny you can call him more competitive when you don’t know Chase. You don’t know any of these men and what is in their hearts or minds. You haven’t sat down and had a conversation with Chase and why he opted out. So let’s stop pretending like we know. 

Facts are facts.

Both had unproven QBs on their teams coming into this season.

Both could have infected their family and friends with COVID-19 or got it themselves.

Both lost big time receiver weapons around them that went out for the draft in 2020.

Both could have their draft stock decrease with poor play on the field.

Both could have got hurt during the season.

So one did this, the other did that.   Pretty hard to rip on the guy that won a National Title and won the Heisman while the other one sat at home.  And to say ones drive or competitive nature had nothing to do with it?  Not so sure about that one but yeah is hard to read.  Still I say the proof of that drive and competitive nature is what DeVonta became compared to what he was coming into Alabama and arguably the best receiver room in the history of college football.  Oh and he came out in the end as the best one out of them all at the college level.  But no he is not competitive?  Ok.  

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Facts are facts.

Both had unproven QBs on their teams coming into this season.

Both could have infected their family and friends with COVID-19 or got it themselves.

Both lost big time receiver weapons around them that went out for the draft in 2020.

Both could have their draft stock decrease with poor play on the field.

Both could have got hurt during the season.

So one did this, the other did that.   Pretty hard to rip on the guy that won a National Title and won the Heisman while the other one sat at home.  And to say ones drive or competitive nature had nothing to do with it?  Not so sure about that one but yeah is hard to read.  Still I say the proof of that drive and competitive nature is what DeVonta became compared to what he was coming into Alabama and arguably the best receiver room in the history of college football.  Oh and he came out in the end as the best one out of them all at the college level.  But no he is not competitive?  Ok.  

Again you are losing the fact I am not questioning Smiths toughness or competitiveness. I sarcastically said that about the pro day because Chase was getting called less of a competitor for sitting out. But I knew Smith would get some kind of pass. And yep, he sure did from you. To doubt another man’s drive and competitive nature during a global pandemic where thousands of individuals have died without having sat down and spoken with him yourself is weak. I’ll never question another man’s heart if I haven’t spoken with him personally. I will never pretend I understand his thinking and what it is to walk in his shoes especially during a time like this.  But if that’s your desire go for it. 

15 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Again you are losing the fact I am not questioning Smiths toughness or competitiveness. I sarcastically said that about the pro day because Chase was getting called less of a competitor for sitting out. But I knew Smith would get some kind of pass. And yep, he sure did from you. To doubt another man’s drive and competitive nature during a global pandemic where thousands of individuals have died without having sat down and spoken with him yourself is weak. I’ll never question another man’s heart if I haven’t spoken with him personally. I will never pretend I understand his thinking and what it is to walk in his shoes especially during a time like this.  But if that’s your desire go for it. 

Actually it is millions have died not thousands.  Would I like to speak with all these guys and know more about their family.  Sure, but sorry do not have that chance so all I have is reading their body language on the field and off the field, listen to what they say and how the interact with others.  Also look at their circumstances and situations they are put in and the choices they make in those situations.  

During a international pandemic where everyone knows someone who could be affected by it, what did you do.  Sit out and not play a game that will soon be your profession, or risk a lot and actually play and not only succeed but be wildly successful and accomplish things no one thought you could accomplish.  And yeah I think you and many others do question Smith's toughness and competitiveness and ability to play because he is light in weight.  But no it is you just making jokes about it and then call it being sarcastic?

So yeah I will question it with Chase, because you have two receivers who could have both decided to sit out.  One did and the other did not.  You telling me sitting out was harder to do than playing during a international pandemic?  Nah I do not believe that, one thing is harder the other is not.  With Chase, the choice of sit and rest on what you did the year before with a QB who was the #1 pick overall and a receiver who should have won rookie of the year in the NFL on your team next to you along with a RB who was a 1st rounder also. 

So DeVonta Smith is not running at his Pro day?  Again the field drills he is not running I assume because that is not a question, it is about his speed and overall athletic ability.  But yeah if Smith sits and does not athletically perform at the Pro day I would be disappointed in that no question about it.  The Senior bowl stuff was injury related but yeah would have loved to see him there also.  But not like guys did not refuse to run at the combine constantly year after year and many are top prospects.

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Actually it is millions have died not thousands.  Would I like to speak with all these guys and know more about their family.  Sure, but sorry do not have that chance so all I have is reading their body language on the field and off the field, listen to what they say and how the interact with others.  Also look at their circumstances and situations they are put in and the choices they make in those situations.  

During a international pandemic where everyone knows someone who could be affected by it, what did you do.  Sit out and not play a game that will soon be your profession, or risk a lot and actually play and not only succeed but be wildly successful and accomplish things no one thought you could accomplish.  And yeah I think you and many others do question Smith's toughness and competitiveness and ability to play because he is light in weight.  But no it is you just making jokes about it and then call it being sarcastic?

So yeah I will question it with Chase, because you have two receivers who could have both decided to sit out.  One did and the other did not.  You telling me sitting out was harder to do than playing during a international pandemic?  Nah I do not believe that, one thing is harder the other is not.  With Chase, the choice of sit and rest on what you did the year before with a QB who was the #1 pick overall and a receiver who should have won rookie of the year in the NFL on your team next to you along with a RB who was a 1st rounder also. 

So DeVonta Smith is not running at his Pro day?  Again the field drills he is not running I assume because that is not a question, it is about his speed and overall athletic ability.  But yeah if Smith sits and does not athletically perform at the Pro day I would be disappointed in that no question about it.  The Senior bowl stuff was injury related but yeah would have loved to see him there also.  But not like guys did not refuse to run at the combine constantly year after year and many are top prospects.

Thousands at the time of his opt out decision is what I was pointing  to. Don’t think it was in the millions yet. Smith said he would weigh in for teams that questioned his weight and that is it from reports. We will see what he actually does. The sarcasm comes from the ridiculousness that you are judging a man you don’t know for his competitiveness but looking to give a pass for another you also don’t know. I don’t question Smith. I have him as a top 7 player in this class. So try again.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:52 AM, Ragnarok said:

I've seen mocks with Melifonwu in the 1st.  I dont see him going any later than the 2nd round.

If he's related to Obi Melifonwu, I'd be much more concerned about his mental makeup than his athleticism.... Obi was a genetic freak of nature coming out, but he was softer than marshmellows. "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"...

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

If he's related to Obi Melifonwu, I'd be much more concerned about his mental makeup than his athleticism.... Obi was a genetic freak of nature coming out, but he was softer than marshmellows. "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"...

They are brothers.