Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

Ozzy

He worked out at Florida's pro day, former Tulane basketball player who last played in 2018, never has played football before.

EyOtiIHWEAsipr5.jpg

Sammis Reyes:  6-6 260 

4.65 in the 40-yard dash

31 reps at 225 pounds 

Has signed with Washington today.  Again last played basketball in 2018, has been training at IMG with the international pathway program.  Dude is a physical freak show athlete, that is a nuts 40 time and bench for someone his size.  Quite amazing.  Washington is damn lucky to get him.  He was never a good basketball player though which is odd the transition too so long, and usually in that transition they are good basketball players, he barely did anything at Tulane playing basketball.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

He worked out at Florida's pro day, former Tulane basketball player who last played in 2018, never has played football before.

EyOtiIHWEAsipr5.jpg

4.65 in the 40-yard dash

31 reps at 225 pounds 

Has signed with Washington today.  Again last played basketball in 2018, has been training at IMG with the international pathway program.  Dude is a physical freak show athlete, that is a nuts 40 time and bench for someone his size.  Quite amazing.  Washington is damn lucky to get him.  He was never a good basketball player though which is odd the transition too so long, and usually in that transition they are good basketball players, he barely did anything at Tulane playing basketball.

Yeah why not give him a shot? Absolute freak show. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

EyOtiIHWEAsipr5.jpg

4.65 in the 40-yard dash

31 reps at 225 pounds 

Luckily football is much easier to excel at than basketball

3 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Yeah why not give him a shot? Absolute freak show. 

Of course give him a shot, and yeah those are crazy numbers.  I am just questioning, one why did he suck so bad at basketball and two since he sucked so bad why did he not play football earlier?  It is not like basketball players transitioning to TE is a rare thing in the NFL.  Washington has Logan Thomas who had a great season last year so yeah why not take another chance at a developmental TE.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Luckily football is much easier to excel at than basketball

I would agree with that, basketball has obviously less players on a NBA team, so less opportunities and the list of good basketball players that have not even been in the NBA is absolutely massive.  Most good football players at least get a shot, basketball that does not always happen, not to mention all the competition with foreign athletes as well trying to get into the league, something that does not happen often with football at all.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Of course give him a shot, and yeah those are crazy numbers.  I am just questioning, one why did he suck so bad at basketball and two since he sucked so bad why did he not play football earlier?  It is not like basketball players transitioning to TE is a rare thing in the NFL.  Washington has Logan Thomas who had a great season last year so yeah why not take another chance at a developmental TE.

My guess is that while he is in peak physical condition, athletic skill is the issue.  It's not just about putting up measuring numbers

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

My guess is that while he is in peak physical condition, athletic skill is the issue.  It's not just about putting up measuring numbers

True but it also could speak to possibly him not being able to take coaching or direction.  Still no clue why he did not play football if clearly basketball he was not successful at even in college.  

But sure numbers are just numbers.

Brock Lesnar  6’3″, 283 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.7 seconds
Vertical jump: 35 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet
225lb bench press: 30 reps

But Brock Lesnar was National Champion wrestler at the University of Minnesota, so he clearly was an athlete successful in another sport and tried football and failed despite awesome athletic numbers.  This Reyes dude was not even successful at basketball so not sure why that transition hasn't happened before now.  But usually the big 6-6 or 6-7 250 dude who played basketball in college was at least good at it before realizing he cannot make it to the NBA and tried football out.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Those are very solid times for him and he looked really fluid in the field drills as well.   Everyone has him dropping into the 2nd but before the season he was without question a top 20 pick.  Is probably better in the slot than he is in the boundary and in the right system could be awesome.

Could Zach Wilson make this throw rolling that direction with that kind of arch and velocity, I would say no he could not.  But to some Zach Wilson is this amazing QB and Justin Field sucks?  It does not make any sense.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Good times. He better hope this makes team forget about his play this year.

All this year really proved to me is that he isn't a boundary CB.  Play him at S and/or in the slot and you are going to get an athletic playmaker who can cover and rush the passer some as well.

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Those are very solid times for him and he looked really fluid in the field drills as well.   Everyone has him dropping into the 2nd but before the season he was without question a top 20 pick.  Is probably better in the slot than he is in the boundary and in the right system could be awesome.

Could Zach Wilson make this throw rolling that direction with that kind of arch and velocity, I would say no he could not.  But to some Zach Wilson is this amazing QB and Justin Field sucks?  It does not make any sense.  

I love Zach, but do not feel that Justin sucks. Overgeneralize much?

On 4/14/2021 at 6:55 AM, Ozzy said:

True but it also could speak to possibly him not being able to take coaching or direction.  Still no clue why he did not play football if clearly basketball he was not successful at even in college.  

But sure numbers are just numbers.

Brock Lesnar  6’3″, 283 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.7 seconds
Vertical jump: 35 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet
225lb bench press: 30 reps

But Brock Lesnar was National Champion wrestler at the University of Minnesota, so he clearly was an athlete successful in another sport and tried football and failed despite awesome athletic numbers.  This Reyes dude was not even successful at basketball so not sure why that transition hasn't happened before now.  But usually the big 6-6 or 6-7 250 dude who played basketball in college was at least good at it before realizing he cannot make it to the NBA and tried football out.

My best guess is two-fold. 

1. He did some football in high school down in Florida but chose basketball. He was actually pretty successful at it, all things considered. By successful, I mean he was good enough to get picked up by a school and had some accolades coming in. 

2. He was at Tulane- hardly a football powerhouse. But a damn good school. By all accounts, he's fairly bright and wanted to major in business, so Tulane was a good spot. He was on scholarship and his passion was still basketball, so he was likely just content with where he was at. Then, he transferred next door to Loyola (literally, it's right next door), who doesn't have a football program. He spent the 2018-2019 school year there and was on the roster. 

So, anyway he graduated in 2019 (I remember seeing him at the undergrad graduation while prepping for mine). He declared fo the 2019 NBA draft, it went nowhere, and thus began his first real foray into football. 2020 was a dud, so I'd give him a pass on the extra year. 

The whole "Tulane basketball player" bit is a tad misleading. He was as much an ex-Tulane player as he was an ex-Hawaii player, and the narrative being tossed around takes a year away from him by making it sound like a longer layoff. When you actually know the whole story, you realize he played basketball up til it no longer worked out and where he wound up at the time didn't have football. So he basically just took the latter part of 2019 and Covid 2020 to start his football journey. 

Edited by ronjon1990

On 4/14/2021 at 5:52 PM, Ozzy said:

You would be wrong.

• Like 1