Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

On 4/14/2021 at 6:52 PM, Ozzy said:

Those are very solid times for him and he looked really fluid in the field drills as well.   Everyone has him dropping into the 2nd but before the season he was without question a top 20 pick.  Is probably better in the slot than he is in the boundary and in the right system could be awesome.

Could Zach Wilson make this throw rolling that direction with that kind of arch and velocity, I would say no he could not.  But to some Zach Wilson is this amazing QB and Justin Field sucks?  It does not make any sense.  

Wilson did this same throw and did it better. No one thinks Fields sucks.

Edited by KingOfNewYork
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

My best guess is two-fold. 

1. He did some football in high school down in Florida but chose basketball. He was actually pretty successful at it, all things considered. By successful, I mean he was good enough to get picked up by a school and had some accolades coming in. 

2. He was at Tulane- hardly a football powerhouse. But a damn good school. By all accounts, he's fairly bright and wanted to major in business, so Tulane was a good spot. He was on scholarship and his passion was still basketball, so he was likely just content with where he was at. Then, he transferred next door to Loyola (literally, it's right next door), who doesn't have a football program. He spent the 2018-2019 school year there and was on the roster. 

So, anyway he graduated in 2019 (I remember seeing him at the undergrad graduation while prepping for mine). He declared fo the 2019 NBA draft, it went nowhere, and thus began his first real foray into football. 2020 was a dud, so I'd give him a pass on the extra year. 

The whole "Tulane basketball player" bit is a tad misleading. He was as much an ex-Tulane player as he was an ex-Hawaii player, and the narrative being tossed around takes a year away from him by making it sound like a longer layoff. When you actually know the whole story, you realize he played basketball up til it no longer worked out and where he wound up at the time didn't have football. So he basically just took the latter part of 2019 and Covid 2020 to start his football journey. 

Sure Tulane is not a football powerhouse but it is not awful either, and if he was that bad on Tulane as a basketball player why not try it?  I read he was a Tulane basketball player then looked at his stats there which were an absolute joke.  Of course there are reasons for his delay in making his choice and thanks for sharing your insight in the subject.  I still feel it is pretty nuts how bad he was at basketball and why that was the case being so athletic.  

And then to declare for the NBA draft?  But yeah looking around more I see he averaged what 6 points per game at Loyal but isn't that a much lower level of competition than Tulane, pretty sure it is not D1.  Here are some other TEs in the NFL who played college basketball, yeah nothing great but all D1 and all productive and a few were productive for multiple seasons.

Antonio Gates averaged around 16.5 points and 7.8 rebounds and played around 3 years at D1 Kent State/Eastern Mich

Mo Alie Cox averaged around 7.7 points and 4.7 rebounds and played all four years at D1 VCU

Tony Gonzalez averaged around 6.5 points and 4.3 rebounds and played three years at D1 Cal

Ross Travis averaged around 6.3 points and 6.2 rebounds and played all four years at D1 Penn State

Darren Fells averaged around 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds and played all four years at D1 UC-Irvine

Demetrius Harris averaged around 6.5 points and 4 rebounds and played two years at D1 Milwaukee

Reyes was never really productive outside of a much lower level of competition.  Odd but maybe his dream was to play internationally or something who knows.  And you are right after that basketball door shut then he could actually focus on football, I am just saying it should have happened at the college level with him because he was not even really successful at basketball compared to some of these other NFL TEs.  Clearly is more muscular and strong as an athlete and probably never had the skills or overall coordination to play basketball which is pretty damn hard to master at an elite level.

Good for him though will be interesting to see if he can become anything or not.  Going to be hard, Ross Travis is arguably a better athlete, believe he had a 40" vert or something, ran around a 4.6 40, did not have that 30+ reps at 225 power than Reyes has but Travis has barely held on to the NFL, bounced around and still in the league but is pretty hard to make it.  Darren Fells has done great though and obviously Alie Cox is really coming on and Gonzalez is a Hall of Famer as is Gates.