Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

Ozzy

And it's a bit weird seeing somebody so excited by a QB's physique. Yes, I don't want an out of shape QB. But the idea that being jacked makes it more likely you'll succeed is a weird one. 

Mediocre QB:

60ebdd741fa85b9e98de5b49ab43d850_lg.jpg

First-Ballot HOFer:

peyton-manning.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And it's a bit weird seeing somebody so excited by a QB's physique. Yes, I don't want an out of shape QB. But the idea that being jacked makes it more likely you'll succeed is a weird one. 

Mediocre QB:

60ebdd741fa85b9e98de5b49ab43d850_lg.jpg

First-Ballot HOFer:

peyton-manning.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&

Did u just call Kaep mediocre? Wow...that’s straight up bigotry bro.

18 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Did u just call Kaep mediocre? Wow...that’s straight up bigotry bro.

That's what Kaepernick was, a mediocre QB. He didn't deserve to be blackballed, but he was a fringe starter at best.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Of course Lance didn't throw the ball like that at NDSU. He was throwing against air. LOL. I'm in disbelief at how much stock you're putting into a Pro Day.

Wilson made some "great throws" because he's a unique and extraordinarily gifted thrower. Had nothing to do with the level of competition "allow[ing] it." Lance played a lower level of competition and certainly didn't make jaw-dropping throws this year in his only game.

That pro day moved the needled to me with Trey Lance, I just doubt Zach Wilson is going to have a similar move the needle performance.  I was wowed by Josh Allen throwing at the combine, I was wowed by Trey Lance and him throwing at this pro day.  How are those any different?  Sure more pressure at the combine and going against your peers with new receivers but in terms of the throws a Pro day is pretty similar and both have no defense, no ****.

Dislike Trey Lance all you wish, I do not care, I was very impressed with him.

Can he become too muscular, yeah sure.  That is a possibility, but as he is right now he is more than ready for NFL contact and pressure.  Arm talent before this yeah Zach Wilson probably had the nod over him, now I am not so sure about that.  

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That pro day moved the needled to me with Trey Lance, I just doubt Zach Wilson is going to have a similar move the needle performance.  I was wowed by Josh Allen throwing at the combine, I was wowed by Trey Lance and him throwing at this pro day.  How are those any different?  Sure more pressure at the combine and going against your peers with new receivers but in terms of the throws a Pro day is pretty similar and both have no defense, no ****.

Zach Wilson doesn't have to move the needle in shorts. He already set the bar high on the field.

Dislike Trey Lance all you wish, I do not care, I was very impressed with him.

I don't dislike Trey Lance. I think he's a risky prospect. And a Pro Day workout isn't going to dissuade me from holding that opinion.

Can he become too muscular, yeah sure.  That is a possibility, but as he is right now he is more than ready for NFL contact and pressure.  Arm talent before this yeah Zach Wilson probably had the nod over him, now I am not so sure about that.  

I see Aaron Rodgers-like throwing ability in Wilson. So if Lance has a slightly stronger arm, it really doesn't matter to me. Wilson can make every throw he'll have to make in the NFL.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't dislike Trey Lance. I think he's a risky prospect. And a Pro Day workout isn't going to dissuade me from holding that opinion.

Agreed. I have Lance as QB4 on my board, they tools are definitely there but his final 5 games of tape at NDSU weren't great. Not to mention he only has 13 starts at a lower level of competition in a very QB friendly scheme. Plus he will have played 1 football game in like 20 moths when the season starts. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. I have Lance as QB4 on my board, they tools are definitely there but his final 5 games of tape at NDSU weren't great. Not to mention he only has 13 starts at a lower level of competition in a very QB friendly scheme. Plus he will have played 1 football game in like 20 moths when the season starts. 

Yep. The hit rate on first round QBs is like 40% to 50%. There are five projected first rounders. In a good/great class, odds are that at least a couple of those guys bust. Lance is a phenomenal talent, but he is a projection, and not an easy one at that. Situation is going to be very important for him.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. The hit rate on first round QBs is like 40% to 50%. There are five projected first rounders. In a good/great class, odds are that at least a couple of those guys bust. Lance is a phenomenal talent, but he is a projection, and not an easy one at that. Situation is going to be very important for him.

Obviously Tribusky and Lance are much different prospects but one year starters definitely scare me. Especially because he's coming from a lower level of competition and ran a pretty basic offense. 

• Like 1

Fact is out of all the RS SOPH prospects recently to declare for the NFL draft, Trey Lance has arguably more arm talent and athletic ability than them all outside of Mike Vick.  

Trey Lance
Dwayne Haskins
Sam Darnold
Jameis Winston
DeShone Kizer
Johnny Manziel
Mike Vick

The dude has crazy elite level talent and until Zach Wilson and Justin Fields show equal or greater workout performances, yeah I still have Lance way up there because of the show he put on and the elite level arm talent he displayed.  

On 3/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, NYRaider said:

Obviously Tribusky and Lance are much different prospects but one year starters definitely scare me. Especially because he's coming from a lower level of competition and ran a pretty basic offense. 

So it is Trey Lance's fault that NDSU canceled their season and he could not play his RS SOPH season?  I guess to some around here it is his fault that the pandemic happened.  Would have been great to see Lance this year granted, and sure he played in a pretty basic offense but what he did in that pro day shows he has far more potential than what he showed passing the football on NDSU.

Still waiting to hear the 5 QBs in the NFL currently who are physically stronger and more well put together than Trey Lance is right now.  But some talk of him as if he is some muscled bound hulk who cannot move and is not twitchy or well conditioned.  How someone cannot be impressed with that pro day he had, I have no idea, especially after almost a year off basically.

Jalen Camp Georgia Tech WR
6-2 226
39.5 Vertical

30 reps at 225

Dan Archibong Temple DL
6-5 295
28 reps at 225

Pretty damn good numbers for him, and dude is physically put together, could be a great late round draft pick and a potential beast as a slot WR or an offensive weapon out of the backfield.  Great looking athlete out of Georgia Tech though who has great toughness for a receiver.  Not great showing for Archibong but I like him a lot as a 3/4 DE in the later rounds potentially, has pass rushing potential as well, and that bench is solid for such a tall dude.  Could not find any numbers for Dayo Odeyingbo from Vandy and their Pro day.

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So it is Trey Lance's fault that NDSU canceled their season and he could not play his RS SOPH season?  I guess to some around here it is his fault that the pandemic happened.  Would have been great to see Lance this year granted, and sure he played in a pretty basic offense but what he did in that pro day shows he has far more potential than what he showed passing the football on NDSU.

Still waiting to hear the 5 QBs in the NFL currently who are physically stronger and more well put together than Trey Lance is right now.  But some talk of him as if he is some muscled bound hulk who cannot move and is not twitchy or well conditioned.  How someone cannot be impressed with that pro day he had, I have no idea, especially after almost a year off basically.

It's not his fault but the reality is that he only has 16 starts against non-division one opponents. In his one and only game of 2020 he struggled with his ball placement/accuracy and only completed 15/30 passes. Almost all of his completions were on check downs, screens, or too wide open receivers. He made like one impressive NFL throw the entire game against Central Arkansas.

I'm sure he did look impressive at his pro day. It's a workout in basketball shorts designed to make him look good. How many quarterbacks look bad at their own pro days throwing to receivers they know and have been working with? 

Who cares about how strong he is? JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and Vince Young were all great athletes with big arm talent as well. Did that lead to great NFL careers? Is Tom Brady a body builder that can throw the ball 80 yards? To be successful in the NFL it's more about what's between the ears and ball placement than being a great athlete or having a rocket arm. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's not his fault but the reality is that he only has 16 starts against non-division one opponents. In his one and only game of 2020 he struggled with his ball placement/accuracy and only completed 15/30 passes. Almost all of his completions were on check downs, screens, or too wide open receivers. He made like one impressive NFL throw the entire game against Central Arkansas.

I'm sure he did look impressive at his pro day. It's a workout in basketball shorts designed to make him look good. How many quarterbacks look bad at their own pro days throwing to receivers they know and have been working with? 

Who cares about how strong he is? JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and Vince Young were all great athletes with big arm talent as well. Did that lead to great NFL careers? Is Tom Brady a body builder that can throw the ball 80 yards? To be successful in the NFL it's more about what's between the ears and ball placement than being a great athlete or having a rocket arm. 

Yup Tom Brady is the standard, all QBs should be measured off of Tom Brady athletically, good logic.  Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen are all really bad athletes as well like Tom and all are top 6 QBs in passing yards last year outside of Tom Brady and Matt Ryan.  

I watched his Pro day and was very impressed, most I doubt even watched it and if they did, if it did not impress you at all might need to watch it again or think again about what exactly are you paying attention to during it.  But no it is just a QB throwing against no defense, just like Josh Allen did at the combine a few years back and those who were not wowed by that then are clearly not wowed by Trey Lance now.  Very similar situation, and Josh Allen was pretty bad at Wyoming that final season, did that really matter with that kind of arm talent?  

Sure there are the JaMarcus Russell situations but name me another 20 like that, amazing arm talent and awful NFL QB.

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure there are the JaMarcus Russell situations but name me another 20 like that, amazing arm talent and awful NFL QB.

Show me examples of QB's that only started for a season in college and went on to become successful NFL starters.