Alternative Super Bowls - who wins these matchups?

notthatbluestuff

17 minutes ago, scar988 said:

That 98 Vikings team was good. But I still think the better team won on the field in the metrodome in that NFCCG. That Falcons team didn't have the caliber QB y'all had (Cunningham is an all time great, Chandler a journeyman), but outside of WRs and TEs, I think the Falcons were as good or better at every other aspect. The OL was dominant that year, the running back group was killing it with the Dirty Bird himself at the helm, The linebacking corps has two guys who are at minimum Hall of Very Good with Henri Crockett and Keith Brooking in it. The corners and safety units were good too. I think had that team played anyone but the Broncos in the Super Bowl that year, they would have won the Super Bowl.

Very possible, scar.  You're right about your Falcons.  They were a very complete team.  The Vikings were all-time elite in the passing game, and had a decent running game with Robert Smith and Leroy Hoard, but I would agree with you that your Dirty Bird, Jamal Anderson was better.  The Falcons also had a better overall defense.  We had Johnny Randle on defense, and mainly a bunch of second tier players after that.  Their passing game was so incredible they just crushed everybody that year - until they came up against a team that everybody in the country seemed to forget that they had just put up a 14-2 record themselves.  The hype for the Vikings was incredible, and I have to admit that I bought into it, hook, line and sinker.  That game against you guys was the worst day of my entire life as a sports fan.  That one hurt - badly.  After having 20 years to look at it from a wider angle, I have no real problem admitting that we were beaten by a very good team that day.  You earned your trip to the Super Bowl that year.

Edited by Uncle Buck

48 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Very possible, scar.  You're right about your Falcons.  They were a very complete team.  The Vikings were all-time elite in the passing game, and had a decent running game with Robert Smith and Leroy Hoard, but I would agree with you that your Dirty Bird, Jamal Anderson was better.  The Falcons also had a better overall defense.  We had Johnny Randle on defense, and mainly a bunch of second tier players after that.  Their passing game was so incredible they just crushed everybody that year - until they came up against a team that everybody in the country seemed to forget that they had just put up a 14-2 record themselves.  The hype for the Vikings was incredible, and I have to admit that I bought into it, hook, line and sinker.  That game against you guys was the worst day of my entire life as a sports fan.  That one hurt - badly.  After having 20 years to look at it from a wider angle, I have no real problem admitting that we were beaten by a very good team that day.  You earned your trip to the Super Bowl that year.

No doubt. That defensive line is one I wish they could recreate. The combination of Archambeau, Smith, Dronett and Hall was beastly. Tuggle and Biscuit at LB, Bradford and Big Play Ray at CB. The only real weakness on that defense was a SS who was a tackle machine and good against the run, but couldn't cover deep to save his life. And without Eugene Robinson at full speed in the Super Bowl, that was exposed. I just wish Eugene wouldn't have been an idiot, because he blew that shot.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 12:40 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

2001 - Pittsburgh Steelers vs St. Louis Rams

I think about this one sometimes. The Rams would have demolished the Steelers, imo. Probably biggest blowout in SB history. That would have also given the Rams 2 SBs in three years, which would have been an amazing feat.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about STL blowing out PIT. PIT had a great defense and Cowher would have outcoached Martz. Highly doubt they'd win with Kordell Stewart under center, but the game would have likely been competitive.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Raider only lost in 2002 because the opposition had every play and call of ours.  

That and OAK inexplicably changing their gameplan at the last minute. Apparently the original plan was run the ball down TB's throat, but they changed it to being pass happy against the #1 pass defense lol

On 3/7/2021 at 12:40 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

In another reality, these matchups could've taken place. Who would've won?

1998 - Minnesota Vikings vs Denver Broncos

2002 - Philadelphia Eagles vs Oakland Raiders

2007 - New England Patriots vs Green Bay Packers

2009 - Indianapolis Colts vs Minnesota Vikings

2010 - Green Bay Packers vs New York Jets

2012 - Atlanta Falcons vs Baltimore Ravens

2014 - Green Bay Packers vs New England Patriots

2015 - New England Patriots vs Carolina Panthers

2018 - New Orleans Saints vs Kansas City Chiefs

Interesting topic, but it's brutal as a Packers fan. I think the Packers would have gotten beat in 2007. I really liked their chances in 2014. I think we beat the Patriots earlier in the year, but that wasn't playoff Tom. It's probably unlikely that we would have lost to the Jets in 2010. Actually, that was the year we beat Pittsburgh, so I guess not so brutal. New England vs. Green Bay in 2011 would have been interesting too. We were 15-1 in the regular season and New England won their last 10 games before losing to the Giants.

23 hours ago, biggie. said:

Uh, what? That sounds more like 2015.

and @ChazStandard

He's referring to the first one at MH, isnt he? " 2014 - The Denver Broncos crushed the New England Patriots 26-16, the score looking closer than it was, to advance to Super Bowl XLVIII." 

We had Gronk for the 2nd one. 

Edit; I see what you mean. The superbowl after the game we had Gronk was the Panthers one. The first one with no Gronk was when they got ruined by Seattle. I think...

Edited by Hunter2_1

14 hours ago, biggie. said:

That and OAK inexplicably changing their gameplan at the last minute. Apparently the original plan was run the ball down TB's throat, but they changed it to being pass happy against the #1 pass defense lol

Yup, a lose lose scenario and Tampa Bays secondary played lights out. 

On 3/7/2021 at 10:40 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, scar988 said:

That 98 Vikings team was good. But I still think the better team won on the field in the metrodome in that NFCCG. That Falcons team didn't have the caliber QB y'all had (Cunningham is an all time great, Chandler a journeyman), but outside of WRs and TEs, I think the Falcons were as good or better at every other aspect. The OL was dominant that year, the running back group was killing it with the Dirty Bird himself at the helm, The linebacking corps has two guys who are at minimum Hall of Very Good with Henri Crockett and Keith Brooking in it. The corners and safety units were good too. I think had that team played anyone but the Broncos in the Super Bowl that year, they would have won the Super Bowl.

I had the Falcons making a Wild Card that year before the season started (I had SF going to the SB against the Chiefs). You could see that they were improving, and they had more talent than people thought, especially with the addition of WR Tony Martin. It was sort-of surprising to see them fall off a cliff the next two years.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

1998: Broncos. They were still really good 

2001: Rams 

2002: Eagles 

2007: honestly this is a toss up to me. Packers were great and Pats were fading later in the year. Most people would have said this was a dangerous match up for them 

2009: Colts 

2012: Ravens 

2014: Patriots 

2015: Panthers 

2018: Saints 

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

1998: Broncos. They were still really good 

2001: Rams 

2002: Eagles 

2007: honestly this is a toss up to me. Packers were great and Pats were fading later in the year. Most people would have said this was a dangerous match up for them 

2009: Colts 

2012: Ravens 

2014: Patriots 

2015: Panthers 

2018: Saints 

I have to disagree about the possible Packers-Patriots matchups.  I think the 2014 Packers would have defeated the Patriots.  They had already beaten the Patriots that season, and it took probably the most improbable series of events to eliminate them that season. We had the MVP, two pro-bowl WRs, plenty of pass rush, Eddie Lacy before the Chinese Buffet, and HaHa Clinton Dix before he figured out that he can get credit for a tackle if he touches the guy with the ball while someone else takes him down.

However, in 2007, that Patriots team rolls the Packers.  While McCarthy seemed to reel Favre's recklessness in a bit, that Patriots team scored a lot, and sooner or later risky Brett Favre would come out to play.  He threw 2 INTs trying to force something to happen against the Giants, and did so in losses to the Cowboys and both Bears games.  The game is probably close until about the end of the half or early third.  Pats go up 2 scores, Favre presses, Pats up 3 scores.  Game is effectively over with 3 or 4 minutes in the 3rd.  Packers score one more time to make it look closer than it really was.  Patriots are the first 19-0 team.