FFMD 2021

Scoundrel

On 4/10/2021 at 10:13 PM, Cutler06 said:

So, all we got is more depth, no new starters ? A bit disappointing, but seems like quality depth at least. Some will take over next year. Think Fangio remains with this roster ?

Unless we go QB or ILB in at 9. I don't see many day 1 starters for us in this draft. Tho I think Ojulari, Javonte Williams and McGrone could see a big numbers of snaps in this roster.

Meinerz, Sterns and Trill Williams would be depth that may only see the field often because of injury, but could become starters next year. Specially Meinerz.

On 4/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, Cutler06 said:

So, all we got is more depth, no new starters ? A bit disappointing, but seems like quality depth at least. Some will take over next year. Think Fangio remains with this roster ?

1 hour ago, BowserBroncos said:

Unless we go QB or ILB in at 9. I don't see many day 1 starters for us in this draft. Tho I think Ojulari, Javonte Williams and McGrone could see a big numbers of snaps in this roster.

Meinerz, Sterns and Trill Williams would be depth that may only see the field often because of injury, but could become starters next year. Specially Meinerz.

The draft seldom provides Day 1 starters.   Once a decision to trade back to the 20's and 30's was made, that made it even more likely.      For every 2017 NO draft, the reality is that most successful drafts aren't seen until Year 2.

Look at Jason Licht's drafts, who's credited with building internally:

2017 - OJ Howard #19 (really hasn't come through yet, so much promise), Rd 3 Chris Godwin - broke out huge in 2019, did very little 2017 and started to flash in 2018, but nothing like 2019.

2018 - Vita Vea #12, Ronald Jones & Carlton Davis Rd2, Jordan Whitehead & Alex Cappa Rd3 - none of the players outside Vea had much of a 2018 impact.   Started to see impact in 2019, and them boom, 2020.  But year 1 only Vea was a monster right away (and early pick).

2019 - Devin White #5, Sean Murphy Bunting Rd2, Jamel Dean & Mike Edwards Rd3, Scott Miller Rd6 - same deal, White was a monster.   Everyone else was learning on the job, and went through major growing pains, before their play surged up in 2020.

2020 - Wirfs 13 & Winfield Jr Rd2

Winfield was an impact year 1 guy.  But everyone else outside of Rd1 - the impact was in year 2, or even year 3.   

I'm not saying the above draft is a TAM redux.   I'd have taken a different guy or 2 - but I totally get the thinking here.    Drafts should never be judged by how they fill year 1 holes IMO.    Every hole except maybe G (and I think it's justifiable with Glasgow not really being a foundation piece and easy to part ways with after 2021) will be a necessity in year 2.   That's how successful drafts are built.   FA is how you address year 1 gaps, with the exception of an early Rd1 pick.  If you get the year 1 impact, great.  But it's really a bonus outside of a top 15 pick IMO, unless you're going after a devalued position (like RB).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

That's a positive though.