FFMD (draft only) - war room

Deadpulse

On 3/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, scar988 said:

I'm thinking if the QB you guys want is on the board, we could do a trade down with you guys. Thinking 1 & 2 and a 5 this year and a 1 next year.

Crazy timing of this trade offer with the real trade that happened. 

1,2,5 plus future 1 is probably more valuable than 22 first, 23 first and 22 comp third, right? Maybe not by much, but it's close enough. Nice work 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Who was on the board? How do I follow this? Where am I? 

We kicked it around on whether or not we wanted to drop down that far, but we had quite an extensive list of guys we were looking at for #43. At one point I Had a list 15 deep. We thought that there would be a good chance that we could still have 1 or maybe 2 guys we were interested in at 43 that would still be available at 72 & 75. If we start to run out, we can also move back up for a much smaller cost. 

• Like 1

With pick 75 in the NFL draft, the 49ers select: 

Picks 99 and 106. 

We moved down again. 

Frankly, we got burned by the first move down from 43 to 72. Board played out very, very badly. Even our safety guys who we were fairly sure would be there at 72 were gone. 

We had 3 people in mind for this pick and kept bouncing around. There's a lot of randomness that goes one, so with 3 guys at the top of our board and probably several others in the vicinity, we didn't think it was the worst thing to kick down 27 spots and grab another late third in the process. 

So we basically turned pick 43 / second round into 3 third round picks, which I'm fine with. As Justone2 said to us, kind of makes sense to take some stabs at more developmental guys with so many one year deals on the roster. Can rotate them in and get them some experience and hopefully they are ready to really contribute the next year. 

We have gotten bludgeoned with bad run outs when trading down. We went through a really rough stretch a few picks back 

With pick 95, we took James Hudson, OT, Cincinnati. 

Was not the desired tackle selection initially, but  he's a very promising developmental guy on tape. Needs a year to be reset and coached up, especially in pass protection. He used to be a defensive lineman and he's more twitchy than testing numbers would show

• Like 2

At pick 99, we took:

Amari Rodgers, WR Clemson. 

He is the epitome of a shanny receiver. He needs to develop his route tree as Clemson used him in a very limited capacity, but he's a future ready made replacement for deebo.

He's versatile as hell. Our very own curtis samuel. Will take snaps out of the backfield, wide or slot. Mean after the catch. Oh, and he helps with special teams. 

Humorous note in that we were considering 3 main players at 75 (where we traded down from) with two backup tackle options. The tackles went and we made our move for the 4th. But one of the 3 main guys (the non tackle) was in fact still available at this pick (from the trade down). That alone makes this a successful trade, though ultimately the extra time thinking about it led to us going in a different direction with the rodgers choice as opposed to the guy we were going to pick at 75 who is still on the board 😂

• Like 1