Free Agency

onejayhawk

The salary cap will be announced soon. Expect massive fallout, regardless of the number. If it's high, feeding frenzy. If it's low, panic.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/3/8/22319347/when-the-nfl-salary-cap-is-announced-expect-bedlam

The Chiefs are unusually exposed this year, with a great many player 24 finishing their contracts, not counting the restricted and exclusive rights FA. Here is a list.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/kansas-city-chiefs/available/

This is an article on the WR
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_seven_days_of_free_agency_day_1_wide_receivers/s1_16631_34291310

Edited by onejayhawk

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

UFA's the Chiefs could/should release:

Sammy Watkins, Alex Okafor, B.Breeland, D.Wilson, K.Osemele, A.Sherman, A. Hamilton, T.Charlton, Dan Kilgore

savings: $26 million

Those guys are already UFA, they aren’t calculated into the negative figure already.   

So , just two days left until the tampering season kicks off, two more for the new League year. After restructuring Mahomes's deal the Chiefs are sitting at about 13 M$ available cap room, giving them some room to maneuver.Given the number of own free agents I don't expect any splashy FA signings though but a consoolidation of the roster especially at OL and may be the WR corps.

Wednesday also is the deadline to tender ERFAs and RFA. So far 1, Arrowhead Drive has been very silent about it. Guys being brought back via (E)RFA may set the tone for the rest of the offseason (Wylie, Ward, Pringle, Yelder, Keizer).

One veteran that I really like as a potential fit for the Chiefs is Washington defensive end Ryan Kerrigan. Washington obviously has Young and Sweat at DE, so I see them letting him move on. Smart veteran who would provide leadership and still has some pass rush juice, plus will likely not be looking to break the bank....and may even want a shot at joining a winning team over a payday. I stumbled on this site when looking up offensive tackle draft prospect write-ups...it is pretty in depth and seems to incorporate alot of film study on NFL pass rushers for a PFF style ranking based on "true sack rate":

https://trenchwarfare.substack.com/p/introducing-the-true-sack-rate-tsr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

One veteran that I really like as a potential fit for the Chiefs is Washington defensive end Ryan Kerrigan. Washington obviously has Young and Sweat at DE, so I see them letting him move on. Smart veteran who would provide leadership and still has some pass rush juice, plus will likely not be looking to break the bank....and may even want a shot at joining a winning team over a payday. I stumbled on this site when looking up offensive tackle draft prospect write-ups...it is pretty in depth and seems to incorporate alot of film study on NFL pass rushers for a PFF style ranking based on "true sack rate":

https://trenchwarfare.substack.com/p/introducing-the-true-sack-rate-tsr

I like him as well. I would go for him and Houston (rumored that we may go after him and may come cheap to try to win a chip) and have a rotation of Clark, Danna, Kerrigan, Houston, Draft pick at DE.

1 hour ago, Bullyball said:

I like him as well. I would go for him and Houston (rumored that we may go after him and may come cheap to try to win a chip) and have a rotation of Clark, Danna, Kerrigan, Houston, Draft pick at DE.

That would be a solid rotation with some pass rush potential for sure.

Kerrigan is a one trick pony. He is also going to be 33 years old and his production slipped significantly before they drafted Young. Houston has the same issues half a year younger and he's out of place at DE. We could bring him in to retire as a Chief, but he isn't a rotation DE

The Chiefs can re-sign Taco if they want a situational pass rusher.

J

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Kerrigan is a one trick pony. He is also going to be 33 years old and his production slipped significantly before they drafted Young. Houston has the same issues half a year younger and he's out of place at DE. We could bring him in to retire as a Chief, but he isn't a rotation DE

The Chiefs can re-sign Taco if they want a situational pass rusher.

J

Houston played DE pretty fine for the Colts. The purpose of both Kerrigan and Houston is to have some time of platoon pass rush. We had none of that with Tanoh, Oakfer. Both Houston and Kerrigan will provide pass rush and maybe cheaply since they're older and may want to have a chance at a Superbowl.

12 hours ago, Bullyball said:

Houston played DE pretty fine for the Colts. The purpose of both Kerrigan and Houston is to have some time of platoon pass rush. We had none of that with Tanoh, Oakfer. Both Houston and Kerrigan will provide pass rush and maybe cheaply since they're older and may want to have a chance at a Superbowl.

That's going a little far. Yes, Houston played DE. Saying he was fine is stretching it. The extra bulk hurt his burst, which was always his biggest asset. In fact, the same is true of Kerrigan, though in Kerrigan's case he had nothing else in his game. losing some through age made him a situational player.

J

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

That's going a little far. Yes, Houston played DE. Saying he was fine is stretching it. The extra bulk hurt his burst, which was always his biggest asset. In fact, the same is true of Kerrigan, though in Kerrigan's case he had nothing else in his game. losing some through age made him a situational player.

J

I don't think saying he was fine is stretching it at all. He wasn't a superstar but he provided some pass rush and he would be a situational player for us. The plan will be to have a platoon with Clark, Danna, Houston, Kerrigan and a draft pick. We don't have money to sign someone like Romeo from Det; Houston and Kerrigan could be cheap and they're clear upgrades over Tanoh and Oakfer.

We had little pass rush and even if Houston and Kerrigan are not what they used to be, they were still productive. Both had better pass rush win rates than all of our DEs; now if we keep them in a platoon and draft a future starter we will have upgraded the pass rush (something we did not have outside of blitzing).

Edited by Bullyball

7 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

They are not an upgrade on Tanoh Kpassagnon and it's not close. Houston might still be on a level with Okafor. 

J

Tanoh provided no pass rush whatsoever this past year. He's solid against the run but he provides no pass rush on the field from the edge or inside. You're can't be serious that Tanoh is an upgrade.