Free Agency

onejayhawk

This is an area that the team will likely address in free agency--safety. With the likely loss of Dan Sorensen, a run support and special teams safety is a priority. While the Chiefs will likely address the position via the draft, a third safety for 2021 will likely come from the FA pool. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_seven_days_of_free_agency_day_7_safety/s1_16631_34347032

J

In the vein of the secondary, the Chiefs have two free agents. Bashaud Breeland is likely gone. Charvarius Ward is a restricted free agent and most likely returning. In addition the Chiefs have L'Jarius Sneed, Rashad Fenton, DeAndre Baker and BoPete Keys.

Lest anyone forget, Baker was a first round draft choice. Sneed was one of biggest impact rookie CBs in a decade. This is not an area where new bodies are needed. Rather, developing young players is the key.

For a different view:
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/3/14/22326950/what-the-chiefs-should-do-at-cornerback

J

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

If you continue to say that Kerrigan or Houston is better than Kpassagnon, I won't take you seriously. Just look at the snap counts and you will know what the DCs think.

J

Kpass: 16 games, 28 total tackles, 1 sacks, 2 TFL

Houston: 16 games, 25 tackles, 8 sacks, 8 TFL

Looks like Kpass wins. But when you consider the snap count of (Kpass 783 vs Houston 645) and that Houston was their #1 DE while Kpass was our #2-3, it shifts the narrative a bit. Houston got more attention, especially when Buckner was injured, and was more efficient. As for what DCs think, Houston had the most snaps on the Colts defense at DE. So he played and he played a lot.

Kpass: .036 tackles per play, .001 sacks per play, .003 TFL per play OR tackle every 28 plays, sack every 783 plays, TFL every 392 plays.

Houston: .039 tackles per play, .012 sacks per play, .012 TFL per play OR tackle every 26 plays, sack every 81 plays, TFL every 81 plays.

Don't get me wrong, Houston is past his prime. But he could fill a role similar to Suggs did while being more productive imo.

edit: I initially wrote this and included Kpass' career stats vs Houston's 2020 stats. I fixed that before posting, but not the initial sentence. So that's why it says Kpass wins, when he clearly doesn't. Also, it's sad that I actually thought his career stats may have been his yearly.

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Tanoh has a legitimate claim for being the worst starting defensive end in football last season. I do not understand why anyone on this forum thinks he is anything resembling a functional starter, let alone better than a guy like Houston.

I had high hopes for him coming out. But going from DE to OLB to DE didn't help his progression and he clearly hasn't elevated his game. Such potential too.

Uups  .. in principal it's possible and would clear about 2 M$ in additional capspace. However, it would create another need at a critical position the team would have to fill - probably at least considering a veteran presence.

21 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Uups  .. in principal it's possible and would clear about 2 M$ in additional capspace. However, it would create another need at a critical position the team would have to fill - probably at least considering a veteran presence.

They only have two players that I'd be interested in:

Jeremy Chinn - No way they trade him

DJ Moore - Potential 1 year rental before he's due an extension. But it's a deep draft, so draft someone for a better contract.

Plus, like you said, it creates another hole at LB in a weak LB class.

44 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

The source is an account that joined March '21 and has 25 followers. I'd tend to think bs