Free Agency

onejayhawk

17 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Looks like they are bringing back Keizer on a 1-year deal as well.

I honestly couldn't tell ya a single thing he does well. I feel like we could get the same, to more of a, contribution out of a late round/UDFA player. 🤷

Edited by Chiefs_5627

Keizer is purely a blocker. He played in 16 games and had 6 receptions. In two previous years, with two previous teams, he never got into a game.

He's not even the full time blocker. I think he was the run blocker and Yelder was the one for pass plays, but it could be the other way around. 

J

8 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I honestly couldn't tell ya a single thing he does well. I feel like we could get the same, to more of a, contribution out of a late round/UDFA player. 🤷

Hopefully Veach is bringing him back to fill out the roster right now as known quantity camp fodder and he will eventually be bounced by a younger player with more upside as we get closer to the final roster.

• Like 1

That means DE is now the clear #1 priority. The signing of Jarron Reed may indicate Jones and/or Wharton is available for DE snaps. There is also Mike Danna to consider. However, TK played almost 75% of the snaps. That is a lot to replace. 

J

The Chiefs may--or may not--have replaced the Sausage. Camp will tell.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/4/1/22363001/report-chiefs-signing-fullback-michael-burton

Also RB Elijah McGuire
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/31/chiefs-sign-elijah-mcguire/

Neither looks to be a major signing, but you never know til you test them.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

4 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Damien is a Jaguar on a 1 year deal.

Our LB depth is bad. If Zaven Collins is there at 31, he has to be the pick imo. I feel comfortable getting an OT in the 2nd with this class.

Hitchens

Gay *coming off a torn meniscus

Niemann

O'Daniel

Harris

Cobb

Smith

Collins is slipping in the lists. It's becoming a real possibility that he is an option at #31, though I would not call him a must have player. 

Wilson was our steadiest LB. I suspect Cobb is better than you credit him. Niemann always has been. 

There is some news on why Jarren Reed was available. Money, of course. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_jarran_reeds_refusal_to_restructure_contract_led_to_release_from_seahawks/s1_13132_34529753

J

• 1 month later...

Interesting....

Wide receiver Dede Westbrook has not found a team for the 2021 season, but it looks like he may have a couple of options on his radar.

Josina Anderson reports that the Bengals and Vikings have both had “preliminary conversations” with the wideout. She adds that some Chiefs players have also reached out to Westbrook to see if he’s interested in joining the team.

Westbrook was a fourth-round pick by the Jaguars in 2017 and he caught 159 passes for 1,716 yards and nine touchdowns over his first three seasons. Westbrook slipped down the depth chart in 2020 and he caught one pass for four yards before tearing his ACL in October.

Teams will want to know that he’s recovering well from that injury before moving past conversations to striking a deal that would give Westbrook a chance to rebound from a rough 2020 season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/10/report-bengals-vikings-have-had-conversations-with-dede-westbrook/