Dak Deal is DONE!!!!

textaz03

6 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Since the Dak deal is done let's play what if.....

What if Dallas didnt win games an got the #2 pick would Dak had gotten re-signed?

Same as what NYFDB said. 

Though, I’m not as confident in saying that now as I was back in Oct/Nov. I think Zach Wilson would have been tough for them to pass up.

Crazy times... I’ve been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 weeks.  I’m finally out and starting to get strength back.  Obviously, I’m not a big fan of the extension.  The more I think about it though, it’s not Dak that a really have the problem with.  I have simply lost ALL faith in the franchise to build a complete team.  We had 4 years of paying Dak peanuts and Jerry never went all in.  

Currently, I think we have a 1-2 year window while Dak’s cap numbers aren’t completely prohibitive.  We are making cap room.  But for what purpose?  To roll over next year?  Or will they finally try to go all in this year?  4 draft picks in the top 100.  We could improve the defense through the draft and get aggressive in FA.  But I fear it will be more of the same BS.

3 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Crazy times... I’ve been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 weeks.  I’m finally out and starting to get strength back.  Obviously, I’m not a big fan of the extension.  The more I think about it though, it’s not Dak that a really have the problem with.  I have simply lost ALL faith in the franchise to build a complete team.  We had 4 years of paying Dak peanuts and Jerry never went all in.  

Currently, I think we have a 1-2 year window while Dak’s cap numbers aren’t completely prohibitive.  We are making cap room.  But for what purpose?  To roll over next year?  Or will they finally try to go all in this year?  4 draft picks in the top 100.  We could improve the defense through the draft and get aggressive in FA.  But I fear it will be more of the same BS.

You never go all in until you at least get to a conference championship or a SB. Makes no sense. We win a division and get bounced, we get saddled with a 1st place schedule (soon to be 3 teams instead of two). You also never expected this defense to go steel curtain overnight in any year in recent memory. The Bucs went all in with Brady I get it but that is a very unique circumstance that rarely happens. Usually it’s teams like the Eagles and Chiefs that try to hold on to veterans to get another one. Did the Pats go all in any one of those last three SB championships? The Rams? That to me is an all-in move. It was a crazy move but maybe Stafford will be that good. The only all in types of moves are when you sign a HoF QB with a 1-2 year shelf life.

Edited by WheatieMan

The two additional void years are what make this deal interesting- suggests he’ll likely restructure in ‘22 and drop his cap hit down to $18M, lower even than this year’s. Of course after that it goes $48M, $51M, and finally $20.8M in dead money in ‘25 with him not under contract. Hopefully the cap does surge up to $300M or close to it by then.

• Like 1

Wow. I did not know this:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/15/drew-brees-retires-nfl-free-agency-fmia-peter-king/

In 2016, the Cowboys quarterback coach was former NFL QB Wade Wilson, who, sadly, died in 2019 of complications from Type 1 diabetes. Inside the Dallas scouting world, Wilson was a notoriously tough quarterback grader. Many times in his 17 pre-draft seasons as an NFL quarterbacks coach, the available quarterbacks weren’t good enough. They had some problem that Wilson considered disqualifying. But in 2016, after the Dak Prescott workout, Wilson told head coach Jason Garrett, “This guy can play. This is a guy we’d like.” Garrett’s ears perked up. And when Prescott was tabbed to make one of the team’s few pre-draft visits to Cowboys headquarters in 2016, Garrett quizzed him on a few plays and on his recent DUI in Mississippi. When Garrett met with players before the draft, he liked to ask the questions fast and intersperse them with character questions, so the player might not have time to give what might be a polished answer to something troubling on his résumé. Prescott answered everything right. He picked up the plays from this foreign offense with photographic-memory proficiency. He took full accountability for the DUI, blaming no one but himself.

Prescott’s grade, in Garrett’s world, shot way up. So on day three of the draft, when Prescott’s name came off the board, Garrett was very good with that.

After the funeral, which Garrett and Prescott attended, Prescott told Garrett something he’d never planned to tell him. Remember my pre-draft visit to the facility? Remember how you quizzed me about those plays and my off-the-field stuff? Garrett said of course he recalled it.

Well, Prescott told him, before that meeting, Wilson had briefed him in great detail on the plays Garrett would be quizzing him about, and told him he’d be pressing him on the DUI also. Prescott aced the test, it turns out, because Wilson had given him the questions and the answers before he walked into his Dallas Cowboys final exam.

Read the whole thing - but this is fascinating. 

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2021/

I just want to note that Dak's cap number this year, $22.2M, currently ranks 11th among NFL QBs, or 12th, if you count Wentz's $33M dead cap figure with Philadelphia. Next year, it's $33.2M, which ranks 8th, but can be restructured down to $18M, which would be 14th.

In other words, anyone whining about his cap value relative to his rank amongst QBs is either very anxious for 2023-2024, or simply does not like Dak as a QB and wants to make their voice heard on that front.

Edited by matt79511

22 hours ago, matt79511 said:

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2021/

I just want to note that Dak's cap number this year, $22.2M, currently ranks 11th among NFL QBs, or 12th, if you count Wentz's $33M dead cap figure with Philadelphia. Next year, it's $33.2M, which ranks 8th, but can be restructured down to $18M, which would be 14th.

In other words, anyone whining about his cap value relative to his rank amongst QBs is either very anxious for 2023-2024, or simply does not like Dak as a QB and wants to make their voice heard on that front.

Dak's deal is going to look insanely cheap, possibly as soon as next year.