Jets franchise tag S Marcus Maye

Bianconero

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We knew this was going to happen. Now get to a long term deal. Don’t drag it out to further the general consensus that we can’t resign players who deserve it.

Absolutely. As long as he is not asking for top S money get it done. I understand he was the #5 S last year. The tag is average of the top 5, correct? Just offer the tag money over 3 years.

Hopefully we can agree a 4yr deal around the $11m a year mark. 

Makes me wonder what Washington will do with Scherff. He’s another older player when he fit FA for the first time so it does make you question if we don’t agree a long term deal this year with Marcus what will happen in the future?

Will we use the tag on him again next year as he will be 29/30 by the end of that deal so maybe we and other teams wouldn’t commit big money and a longer deal. Now is the time for Marcus to get his long term deal. I just hope he’s open to taking a little less for more years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Makes me wonder what Washington will do with Scherff

Wonder no more. He was tagged again. 

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Now is the time for Marcus to get his long term deal.

I really think JD wants him to sign a long term deal like 3-4 years with an out after 2. But it takes both sides to be willing to negotiate. The tag is just a contractual extension so negotiations can be extended until July. I am curious as to what the percentage of tagged players who sign a long term deal vs those that play on the tag is. The offseason is the busiest time for an NFL front office. There is not a lot of time to think of contract extensions between the end of the SB and the start of FA. At least after the draft FO’s can concentrate just on contracts. The tag gives them that time. 

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

Hopefully we can agree a 4yr deal around the $11m a year mark. 

Makes me wonder what Washington will do with Scherff. He’s another older player when he fit FA for the first time so it does make you question if we don’t agree a long term deal this year with Marcus what will happen in the future?

Will we use the tag on him again next year as he will be 29/30 by the end of that deal so maybe we and other teams wouldn’t commit big money and a longer deal. Now is the time for Marcus to get his long term deal. I just hope he’s open to taking a little less for more years. 

I don't think Scherff goes anywhere. They tagged him and will sign him to a long term deal. 

Good move. No reason to cave to an agent here. We have Davis capable of replacing him should the demands become unreasonable. I don't think it will get to that point, but you have to use leverage when you have it. We basically have two starting free safeties. Use that to negotiate the best deal you can for all concerned.

And once that is signed, you can maybe think about packaging Davis in a deal for a quarterback.

3 hours ago, xrade said:

Wonder no more. He was tagged again. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think Scherff goes anywhere. They tagged him and will sign him to a long term deal. 

I mean for a long term prospective. Like the guy hits FA for the first time at 27/28 and then plays the franchise tag for two years h til he’s 30ish. Teams will be much less likely dropping big money on a 30year old.