FFMD 2021

Ragnarok

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I think the best thing about last year was that people who had opinions/differences just kept quite and let the others play.

In past years participates and casual form users seems to "mess with" who ever was running things based on how they felt things should go.

I can't really run these anymore, about 4-5 people just generally don't like me and disagree with me when I say the sky is blue on this site so... Makes team work hard and you guys did really well last year. No one wants a wet-towel on this kumbiah camp fire.

There are some years where I have been much more involved in the draft process, watch a bunch of film and have pretty good ideas of the guys I like/don't like. Then there are other years (like this one) where I haven't been able to watch as much and just rely on outside opinions, mock draft sites, etc. I like to use this process to learn more about different guys in the draft, get a different perspective (which, I may or may not agree with) and generally get a bit more 'football smart' by listening to other people who have more knowledge than I do. 

I think it's really important that if you have an opinion, especially a contrarian one, to provide context and support. Just saying "guy X sucks" doesn't do anything and people with an opinion either way will just stay in their respective camp. If you say "guy X isn't a good player because of this, this this, that, that, etc." then it at least opens up the conversation for a proper debate. There could be things that you see someone else doesn't or your perception of something could be off. Even if you leave it as 'we'll agree to disagree', you can/should leave with some element of respect for the person as they're taking a stand. 

This whole post isn't a sleight at you @SimbaWho, just inspired by your thoughts above. One of the guys that I really appreciate in this forum is @Sllim Pickens. Even in times where we'll disagree, I tend to find that his positioning is coming from a point of knowledge and generally does a good job at explaining why. It at least opens me up to a different perspective. We don't have to agree on things at the end of the day but I see where he's coming from. 

I would say that my football knowledge has increased due to conversations with Sllim and a few other folks here. 

19 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

TL being the GM actually worked out really well as it put him in more of a listen to others position rather than the “lovable “ inciting contrarian 

Found this comment interesting.

My only reason for coming to FF is to discuss football. We all have - and defend - our own opinions, and my disagreements with others largely stem from my opinions of the Lions usually being more "glass half full" than others.

That makes me an "inciting contrarian"?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My only reason for coming to FF is to discuss football. We all have - and defend - our own opinions, and my disagreements with others largely stem from my opinions of the Lions usually being more "glass half full" than others.

You forgot "loveable"...lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ok dude no need to take offense. I’ve known you a long time if you can’t admit to yourself that sometimes you like to argue for the sake of arguing I’m not going to convince you at this point.  I think I made the analogy a decade ago or so that some times you view the board like debate class. You’ve been assigned to argue a certain point and are going to try your best to do so regardless if you actually believe it or not.  You’ve filled multi page threads full of semantic arguments that fail to address the point a few hundred times.  

Its all good, that’s your roll on the board and this place would be dead more often than not if not for your appreciated contributions.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Ok dude no need to take offense. I’ve known you a long time if you can’t admit to yourself that sometimes you like to argue for the sake of arguing I’m not going to convince you at this point.  I think I made the analogy a decade ago or so that some times you view the board like debate class. You’ve been assigned to argue a certain point and are going to try your best to do so regardless if you actually believe it or not.  You’ve filled multi page threads full of semantic arguments that fail to address the point a few hundred times.  

Its all good, that’s your roll on the board and this place would be dead more often than not if not for your appreciated contributions.  

Didn't take offense; just found it interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 6:29 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Last year was a true democracy.  If someone disagreed, their voice was heard and a vote was taken.  Even if TL didn't agree with the vote, he did what the majority wanted.  Even when TL had an idea on wanting someone and wanted to move up, when others disagreed, he let the majority rule.  The reason it went well is because everyone who wanted to be involved, played nice and felt like their voice was heard opposed to previous ones when the GM did as they pleased and alienated the staff.  Thats the biggest thing. Its supposed to be a forum wide mock group exercise, not a GM mock with a GM from each team making decisions.  So as long as that stays in place, it is more fun for all, other than the GM who has to organize it all of course. 

^ This.

• Like 2