Brandon Scherff hit with franchise tag again

It’s not that big of a deal. Hopefully they are doing this with the intention of still locking him up long term and bringing down that number for this year. But he also just might be a one year rental so that we can wait till next year to replace him, when the cap is even higher and then we’d know that we’d have 18 more mil from not resigning Scherff and 14 mil from the dead cap freeing up from smith. 

• Like 1

Yikes. They better agree on a reasonable long term deal. “Resetting the market” at $18M/yr when there are pro bowl Guards hitting the market left and right would be a terrible idea. No way he gets $18M on the open market when most teams strapped for cash. He could only get that kinda cash from Washington.

Now if they tag and trade? I would certainly be open to that. 

Edited by A TRAIN 89
  • Like 1

Stupidity.  Especially ridiculous when at the same time I see the top paid guard in Norwell taking a pay cut.

The brain trust is trying to see how much they can possibly pay a guard in the year the cap goes down.  Are you kidding me.

I would love to keep him, but am I the only one who watched the games this year?  He was very good in maybe 3 and not special or not playing in most of them.

It’s stupid not to give Scherff a contract extension. I’m not always with Grant, but I’m with him on this one.  Scherff was one of only 3 guards to be to be above an 80 grade at pass blocking and run blocking last year, he really gets taken for granted by some in this fanbase just as Trent did.

12 hours ago, offbyone said:

Stupidity.  Especially ridiculous when at the same time I see the top paid guard in Norwell taking a pay cut.

The brain trust is trying to see how much they can possibly pay a guard in the year the cap goes down.  Are you kidding me.

I would love to keep him, but am I the only one who watched the games this year?  He was very good in maybe 3 and not special or not playing in most of them.

You must have been watching a different player. Maybe you weren’t  paying too much attention to how the OL performed when Scherff was out with his knee sprain in the early part of the year. When Scherff was out last year we missed him a lot. When Scherff  returned week 6, Lucas replaced Christian at LT and Schweitzer replaced Martin at RG, our OL got remarkably better and as a result so did our running game and our passing game too because we were more balanced on offense.

Edited by turtle28

Stupid for sure, sign a good guard for half the money and roll with it. I love the guy but not good business acumen. Good grief man, nobody but nobody tags a GUARD......TWICE ! 😠

Edited by RSkinGM

57 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Stupid for sure, sign a good guard for half the money and roll with it. I love the guy but not good business acumen. Good grief man, nobody but nobody tags a GUARD......TWICE ! 😠

People keep saying stuff like this but why? We didn’t spend the money we saved last year by not paying people. We didn’t use the money when Bruce was here either by not paying Smith, Cousins, Crowder, Garçon, Williams, DJax etc. I don’t care anymore about wasting the money on a guard because they aren’t going to spend it otherwise. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

People keep saying stuff like this but why? We didn’t spend the money we saved last year by not paying people. We didn’t use the money when Bruce was here either by not paying Smith, Cousins, Crowder, Garçon, Williams, DJax etc. I don’t care anymore about wasting the money on a guard because they aren’t going to spend it otherwise. 

I was hoping this regime would be different . 

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I was hoping this regime would be different . 

They proved last year they weren’t. We had a butt load of needs and they went dumpster diving. The bad thing is it worked so they’ll think it’s going to work again 

• Like 1

There has to be a deadline set and a clock ticking down on this situation. If you can’t get a long-term deal done by some pre-set date — I’d say the week before the draft — then you need to shut it down and give him permission to find the best possible trade. 

Keeping him for just next season at a cost of $18M (10% of the cap!) and then watching him walk away for nothing but the hope of a comp pick is not a reasonable option. That is an awful outcome, and they need to move aggressively to avoid it. Either a long-term deal at a more manageable cost or a trade for whatever you can get would be preferable outcomes than clinging on for one more really pricey season that will hamstring our ability to land longer-term pieces.

• Like 4