Brandon Scherff hit with franchise tag again

13 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Yikes. They better agree on a reasonable long term deal. “Resetting the market” at $18M/yr when there are pro bowl Guards hitting the market left and right would be a terrible idea. No way he gets $18M on the open market when most teams strapped for cash. He could only get that kinda cash from Washington.

Now if they tag and trade? I would certainly be open to that. 

Depends on what we’d get back for him. We shouldn’t just give Scherff away in a trade for a 2nd or 3rd round pick for example because he’s very important to our OL, especially our running game. 

We can’t lose site of the fact that Scherff is by far and away our best OL and when he’s injured our O is definitely worse.

Now when Trent was here & Scherff was hurt it wasn’t that noticeable when he was out but last year when we had question marks at both LT & LG in September and Scherff sprained his knee it was very noticeable when he missed 1/2 the game with Arizona and the games with Cle, Baltimore & the LA Rams. 

46 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Not yet....😉

He’s not going to be, he was negotiating through the media trying to get the team to give him a new deal. Rodgers sees guys like Mahomes & now Dak get these huge extensions and Rodgers wants that $ too. It wouldn’t shock me if Russell Wilson also gets an extension too rather than being traded. I think both guys are just looking for more money.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

There has to be a deadline set and a clock ticking down on this situation. If you can’t get a long-term deal done by some pre-set date — I’d say the week before the draft — then you need to shut it down and give him permission to find the best possible trade. 

Keeping him for just next season at a cost of $18M (10% of the cap!) and then watching him walk away for nothing but the hope of a comp pick is not a reasonable option. That is an awful outcome, and they need to move aggressively to avoid it. Either a long-term deal at a more manageable cost or a trade for whatever you can get would be preferable outcomes than clinging on for one more really pricey season that will hamstring our ability to land longer-term pieces.

The Rock Applause GIF

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

It was the non-exclusive tag, btw.

so if he gets an offer & we don't match, we get good compensation.

Seriously ?? That's some better. If someone wants him, we work out a trade ( ain't nobody giving up 2 1st ! ) I'll take a second this year and a 3rd next-thank you very much ! Maybe that's the plan -we're just baiting a hook to see if we get a nibble. If we don't , we can pull the tag before he signs it -ala Carolina and Josh Norman .

Edited by RSkinGM

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You must have been watching a different player. Maybe you weren’t  paying too much attention to how the OL performed when Scherff was out with his knee sprain in the early part of the year. When Scherff was out last year we missed him a lot. When Scherff  returned week 6, Lucas replaced Christian at LT and Schweitzer replaced Martin at RG, our OL got remarkably better and as a result so did our running game and our passing game too because we were more balanced on offense.

Yeah I watched and I didn't see a guy who was pancake blocking players every game.  I saw a small sample of top level games.  I remember when Scherff played an elite season and impacted the game.  That wasn't this year or last year.  Heck, he wasn't even on the field for a bunch of games because he can't stay healthy.  Then he was on the field for another handful of games unhealthy and wasn't good.  

I don't care what these popularity contests say.  I watch the games, he was not elite.  He may have been good at times, but not elite.  

It is funny because for years we have been chastising Bruce Allen for the idiocy of how he handled double tagging Cousins...didn't we learn anything?   

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

There has to be a deadline set and a clock ticking down on this situation. If you can’t get a long-term deal done by some pre-set date — I’d say the week before the draft — then you need to shut it down and give him permission to find the best possible trade. 

Keeping him for just next season at a cost of $18M (10% of the cap!) and then watching him walk away for nothing but the hope of a comp pick is not a reasonable option. That is an awful outcome, and they need to move aggressively to avoid it. Either a long-term deal at a more manageable cost or a trade for whatever you can get would be preferable outcomes than clinging on for one more really pricey season that will hamstring our ability to land longer-term pieces.

I agree, but who in their right mind will trade for him with a floor of 18M?  (at least trade something real, not a 6th round pick)

You are right that this gives us time, but I just figure if he doesn't want to work out a reasonable deal, then good riddance.  We had 2 years to sort this out.  He clearly doesn't want to be here.  Move on.

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Seriously ?? That's some better. If someone wants him, we work out a trade ( ain't nobody giving up 2 1st ! ) I'll take a second this year and a 3rd next-thank you very much ! Maybe that's the plan -we're just baiting a hook to see if we get a nibble. If we don't , we can pull the tag before he signs it -ala Carolina and Josh Norman.

Yeah, I’d only do it if we’re getting at least a 2nd for Scherff, but preferably a 1st at the least for him. We’re talking about an All-Pro guard who was top 3 in pass and run blocking last year. People can act like guards of that quality grows on trees but I think all we need to do is look at our revolving door at LG over the last 2 decades to know that that’s not true.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I’d only do it if we’re getting at least a 2nd for Scherff, but preferably a 1st at the least for him. We’re talking about an All-Pro guard who was top 3 in pass and run blocking last year. People can act like guards of that quality grows on trees but I think all we need to do is look at our revolving door at LG over the last 2 decades to know that that’s not true.

I haven't seen that verified anywhere by the way . The NON-exclusive tag .

22 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Yeah I watched and I didn't see a guy who was pancake blocking players every game.  I saw a small sample of top level games.  I remember when Scherff played an elite season and impacted the game.  That wasn't this year or last year.  Heck, he wasn't even on the field for a bunch of games because he can't stay healthy.  Then he was on the field for another handful of games unhealthy and wasn't good.  

I don't care what these popularity contests say.  I watch the games, he was not elite.  He may have been good at times, but not elite.  

It is funny because for years we have been chastising Bruce Allen for the idiocy of how he handled double tagging Cousins...didn't we learn anything?   

He played 13 games last year. There was a noticeable difference between when he was in there vs when he wasn’t. I can’t help that you didn’t notice it as much as others, it’s very hard to notice the difference between elite and just “good” guard play but it’s clear our OL and offense is much better when Scherff plays & it’s not going to be easy to replace him IMO. We’ve been trying to find a steady good to great LG for two decades, I’d hate to create the same problem for our RG spot that we’ve continued to have at RG for 20 years.

I think it’s clear, the effectiveness of our offense - particularly in our running game the final 10 games - was clearly better w/ Scherff and the biggest reason for that was the return of Scherff for the 1st Giants game through the playoff game.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I haven't seen that verified anywhere by the way . The NON-exclusive tag .

Me either, usually that takes a few days or even a week still that stuff starts trickling out.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He played 13 games last year. There was a noticeable difference between when he was in there vs when he wasn’t. I can’t help that you didn’t notice it as much as others, it’s very hard to notice the difference between elite and just “good” guard play but it’s clear our OL and offense is much better when Scherff plays & it’s not going to be easy to replace him IMO. We’ve been trying to find a steady good to great LG for two decades, I’d hate to create the same problem for our RG spot that we’ve continued to have at RG for 20 years.

I think it’s clear, the effectiveness of our offense - particularly in our running game the final 10 games - was clearly better w/ Scherff and the biggest reason for that was the return of Scherff for the 1st Giants game through the playoff game.

Putting the games aside that he didn't play, did anyone think he consistently played elite for the games he actually played?

I didn't.  You don't notice a good olineman.  That is a good thing.  But you notice elite.  Watch Nelson if you want to see elite. 

And lets be clear we are talking about paying him significantly more than the highest paid guard now in a year when the cap shrunk.  That requires elite consistently.  Do you think he is the best guard in the game?  Even top 3?  Cause you are gonna pay him more than all of them.

30 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Putting the games aside that he didn't play, did anyone think he consistently played elite for the games he actually played?

I didn't.  You don't notice a good olineman.  That is a good thing.  But you notice elite.  Watch Nelson if you want to see elite. 

And lets be clear we are talking about paying him significantly more than the highest paid guard now in a year when the cap shrunk.  That requires elite consistently.  Do you think he is the best guard in the game?  Even top 3?  Cause you are gonna pay him more than all of them.

I mean, he was voted an All-Pro. Trent Williams was elite for years and never made All-Pro. Several people who analyze players for a living have Scherff ranked right up at the top so yes, he’s an elite guard. I mean, what other standard is there to go by? And Quenton Nelson is probably the best OL in all of football so comparing him to Scherff isn’t really fair. That’d be like claiming Jonathan Allen isn’t worth the money because Aaron Donald is better. 

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, he was voted an All-Pro. Trent Williams was elite for years and never made All-Pro. Several people who analyze players for a living have Scherff ranked right up at the top so yes, he’s an elite guard. I mean, what other standard is there to go by? And Quenton Nelson is probably the best OL in all of football so comparing him to Scherff isn’t really fair. That’d be like claiming Jonathan Allen isn’t worth the money because Aaron Donald is better. 

Fair point.  I personally didn't see that on the field.

Nevertheless, whatever his status is, I can't pay him >20% more then the currently highest guard in a year of a shrinking cap.  I saw only a marginal difference with Schweitzer in there yet we are going to pay him 3 times as much.  

What would happen if the trend continues and he is only healthy a 1/4 of the time?  How can we pay this much for such a consistent trend.  

I am glad we are trying to keep one of our own, but I don't see that he wants to be here or he would have agreed to a contract.