What's your draft big board? 2021 edition!

RaidersAreOne

I'm expecting these players to definitely be gone by 17 so I'm excluding them:

• Trevor Lawrence
  • Zach Wilson
  • Trey Lance
  • Justin Fields
  • J'Marr Chase
  • Penei Sewell
  • Kyle Pitts
  • Patrick Surtain
  • Rashawn Slater
  • Jaycee Horn

Big Board

1. Caleb Farley
  2. Kwity Paye
  3. Christian Darrisaw
  4. DeVonta Smith
  5. Samuel Cosmi
  6. Teven Jenkins
  7. Gregory Newsome
  8. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
  9. Micah Parsons
  10. Jaylen Waddle

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Caleb Farley

Virginia Tech CB Caleb Farley‘s surgery is an outpatient procedure and is being portrayed as fairly minor. However, as Wingo discussed on the show, back surgeries are anything but minor.

“There is no such thing in my opinion as a minor back surgery. I have a friend of mine, Mark Schlereth, who played for a bunch of years in the NFL. He had 29 surgeries, 16 on one knee, he had one back surgery. He always told me, ‘I would trade 16 more knee surgeries for one back surgery.'”

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We drafted a CB at 19 last year with a broken thumb so we should take one this year at 17 with a broken back.

I don't love Farley's back injury but this is apples and oranges. Arnette isn't in the same zip codes when it comes to talent as prospects coming out. Also sunk cost fallacy as investing in Arnette shouldn't be a reason we don't invest in Farley. Especially considering Arnette isn't an outside CB in the NFL IMO. We don't know much about his "back" surgery at all. I'm assuming its a microdisectomy but even that is a fairly broad term. Saying "back" injury is just like saying "knee" injury...well is that an ACL? meniscus? arthroscopy? etc. If Farley is cleared by team docs and he's available at 17 he has to be pretty high on our board IMO.

3 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I don't love Farley's back injury but this is apples and oranges. Arnette isn't in the same zip codes when it comes to talent as prospects coming out. Also sunk cost fallacy as investing in Arnette shouldn't be a reason we don't invest in Farley. Especially considering Arnette isn't an outside CB in the NFL IMO. We don't know much about his "back" surgery at all. I'm assuming its a microdisectomy but even that is a fairly broad term. Saying "back" injury is just like saying "knee" injury...well is that an ACL? meniscus? arthroscopy? etc. If Farley is cleared by team docs and he's available at 17 he has to be pretty high on our board IMO.

Well we agree on something today. Arnette is a Nickel in this league, and him starting on the outside this year would be just wasting time. I also absolutely love Farley as a prospect. My 9th player in the draft, farrrr and away the best CB in the draft as well. Not big on Surtain and Horn at all. 

However, definitely concerned about the injury for sure. To the point, I'm not sure if I'd actually pull the trigger. However, if the Raiders did pick him, I'd be totally ok with the pick. Sometimes you have to involve risk in the 1st Round. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Well we agree on something today. Arnette is a Nickel in this league, and him starting on the outside this year would be just wasting time. I also absolutely love Farley as a prospect. My 9th player in the draft, farrrr and away the best CB in the draft as well. Not big on Surtain and Horn at all. 

However, definitely concerned about the injury for sure. To the point, I'm not sure if I'd actually pull the trigger. However, if the Raiders did pick him, I'd be totally ok with the pick. Sometimes you have to involve risk in the 1st Round. 

Very much agree man! Landing a legit #1 CB on a rookie contract is one of the best things for a team IMO. Mullen as a #2 and Arnette as a slot/#3 makes our backfield look a lot better that's for sure. Unfortunate that professional athletes have such pressure on them to take the quick fix (surgery) even though it's not always needed and in the long term conservative rehab is better indicated. That's a whole other convo but I hope he truly, truly needed the surgery if he got it. 

• Like 1

Right now I think I'm about here with our first two picks...

Round 1:

1. Christian Darrisaw, OT

2. Caleb Farley, CB

3. Micah Parsons, LB

4. JOK // Moerhig

5. Ojulari // Paye // Jenkins // Phillips

Round 2:

1. Christian Barmore, DT

2. Levi O, DT

3. Joseph Ossai, Edge

4. Liam Eichenberg, OT

5. Richie Grant // Jevon Holland, S

• Like 1

My Updated 1st Round:

1) LB Micah Parsons

2) OT Christian Darrisaw

3) CB Caleb Farley

4) S Trevon Moehrig

5) EDGE Ojulari/Paye (I go back and forth with these two)

Obviously, included only realistic prospects that would be available. 

It’s possible none of those are there. I will post a Final Big Board the day before the draft for both pick 17 and 48. Probably 7 to 8 guys each pick. 

20 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Team doctors won't be able to evaluate him before the draft. He tore his ACL in 2017, had issues with back spasms in 2019, had a back surgery on one disk during the 2020 offseason, and just had another back surgery last month on a different disk after sitting out the entire 2020 season. Reports are that he's not even 100% sure that he'll be ready to play when training camp starts. 

I think it's a little early to say that Arnette can't be an outside CB in the NFL. Troy Hill was one of the best outside CB's in the league in a cover 3 scheme and he's smaller, slower, and has shorter arms than Arnette. 

He only played in 23 games at Virginia Tech and tore his ACL, had two back surgeries, and dealt with other back injuries that were unrelated to his surgeries. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm expecting these players to definitely be gone by 17 so I'm excluding them:

• Trevor Lawrence
  • Zach Wilson
  • Trey Lance
  • Justin Fields
  • J'Marr Chase
  • Penei Sewell
  • Kyle Pitts
  • Patrick Surtain
  • Rashawn Slater
  • Jaycee Horn

Big Board

1. Caleb Farley
  2. Kwity Paye
  3. Christian Darrisaw
  4. DeVonta Smith
  5. Samuel Cosmi
  6. Teven Jenkins
  7. Gregory Newsome
  8. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
  9. Micah Parsons
  10. Jaylen Waddle

Greg Newsome II is super underrated. I don't think a CB in the 1st is the move, but hot take I think he could be better than Horn, Surtain, and Farley.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

23 games played and has had a major knee injury and two back surgeries. Risky business. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Greg Newsome II is super underrated. I don't think a CB in the 1st is the move, but hot take I think he could be better than Horn, Surtain, and Farley.

I would be suprised if he ended up better than the consensus top 3. I just think the top three are outright more physically talented than Newsome, while also being just as skilled. I do think, however, that Newsome is probably a better prospect that both Henderson and Terrell from last season.

Farley has Jalen Ramsey potential. If not for the injuries, I believe he would be the first corner taken.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

23 games played and has had a major knee injury and two back surgeries. Risky business. 

But again... you like Phillips at 17 who had 3 concussions in 10 games, retired from football and has played in a total of 20 career games.

You have an agenda. You don't like CB in round 1, so you're bending the narrative on Farley while overlooking the fact Phillips is one hit to the head from ending his career.