The NFL Has a Star Power Problem

MKnight82

5 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Personally, I want a league built on hard core fans, rather than casual fans. That way they are not bowing to the whims of fickle...what have you done for me in the last 5 minutes....crowd. 

To be fair, hardcore fans are pretty 'what have you done for me lately'. Arians was one of the best in the league a couple years ago. He needs to be fired now. Any player even close to 30 has a down year, they're finished 

8 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Personally, I want a league built on hard core fans, rather than casual fans. That way they are not bowing to the whims of fickle...what have you done for me in the last 5 minutes....crowd. 

if it's only hardcore fans you won't have very good players anymore. $ attracts the best athletes, there's like 15 hardcore fans.

It's a mix of alot of things. The biggest is that people are cutting cords. This is just a fact. Tv across the board has been down for years. The NFL was thought to be the last show that was immune to that. It just took longer. ESPN and FS1 and networks that facilitate the NFL following are dismal at best and are falling apart. Quite frankly the league was in a boom period since the mid 2000's with Brady and Manning being the stars of the league and one is gone and the other is closing in on his exit. There was always going to be a down period eventually. The league is more oversaturated than ever and people just aren't going to spend 3 nights a week watching football. 

I can tell you why seniors are less likely to watch games today on TV. They have changed so many rules to attract younger fans, that us old timers have reached the point where it is hard to recognize the game we have followed for decades.

It is one thing to bring in safety rules to try and avoid injuries, but when you change something like the point after, it just makes the game too different from what we are used to watching. They are so interested in adding to their TV audience that they have lost all their commitment to the purity of the game and feel they can change anything as long as it makes them more money.

I agree, the TV games are over saturated, but another problem people rarely mention, is playing all games on Astro turf or whatever it is called today. In the old days, injuries were rather rare playing on grass, even with all the added violence, but playing on Astro turf is like playing on concrete, even with the newer surfaces. The body takes a huge beating from playing on artificial surfaces, so it isn't at all surprising that a lot of players are lost to injuries.

The fans may love it, but the players hate it for good reason.

Now, the NFL is allowing Trump to tell them what to do and the owners are buckling under the pressure and a lot of us are OK with the protest against racism as long as it is nothing more than kneeling. America has become a country that seems to have lost its way. After all, more people in America have died from guns that the total # of deaths from all the wars they have taken part in, a shameful stat if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I can tell you why seniors are less likely to watch games today on TV. They have changed so many rules to attract younger fans, that us old timers have reached the point where it is hard to recognize the game we have followed for decades.

It is one thing to bring in safety rules to try and avoid injuries, but when you change something like the point after, it just makes the game too different from what we are used to watching. They are so interested in adding to their TV audience that they have lost all their commitment to the purity of the game and feel they can change anything as long as it makes them more money.

I agree, the TV games are over saturated, but another problem people rarely mention, is playing all games on Astro turf or whatever it is called today. In the old days, injuries were rather rare playing on grass, even with all the added violence, but playing on Astro turf is like playing on concrete, even with the newer surfaces. The body takes a huge beating from playing on artificial surfaces, so it isn't at all surprising that a lot of players are lost to injuries.

The fans may love it, but the players hate it for good reason.

Now, the NFL is allowing Trump to tell them what to do and the owners are buckling under the pressure and a lot of us are OK with the protest against racism as long as it is nothing more than kneeling. America has become a country that seems to have lost its way. After all, more people in America have died from guns that the total # of deaths from all the wars they have taken part in, a shameful stat if you ask me.

Count me as a youngin' who vastly prefers grass to astroturf (except solider field, that hardly qualifies as 'grass').

It's likely a combination of factors coming together that has caused football's decline in viewership & attendance... 

General global trends in declining - sport / film / TV - viewership (New generation who don't like sport, or traditional media as much)

Politics (Yes, people hate politics in sport)

Poor off-field behaviour, & constant scandals (Don't believe the saying -  "Any publicity is good publicity")

Decline in the quality of the on-field product

CTE concerns, & a changing perspective

People revolting against what they perceive to be the softening of football

ETC...

It's a transition period imo. The stars from the last generation are aging and the current generation has alot of great players but no elite players whove come out of that yet.

Just look at QBs. 5 years ago we had Rodgers, Big Ben, Rivers, Brady, the Manning brothers, Brees, Romo, Flacco, Ryan, Stafford, and Vick. Guys like Luck, Alex Smith, and Newton were young guys who were bottom half position-wise. Now we're watching all of those stars age toward retirement while we see who's gonna rise up from the likes of Luck, Newton, Wilson, Mariota, Winston, Carr, Cousins, Wentz, Prescott, and Watson.

I believe we're simply just in a short between period. The new superstars will come out in the next year or 2.

Altho, I will say safety and offensive lineman talent is pretty low imo

1 minute ago, riceman80 said:

It's a transition period imo. The stars from the last generation are aging and the current generation has alot of great players but no elite players whove come out of that yet.

Just look at QBs. 5 years ago we had Rodgers, Big Ben, Rivers, Brady, the Manning brothers, Brees, Romo, Flacco, Ryan, Stafford, and Vick. Guys like Luck, Alex Smith, and Newton were young guys who were bottom half position-wise. Now we're watching all of those stars age toward retirement while we see who's gonna rise up from the likes of Luck, Newton, Wilson, Mariota, Winston, Carr, Cousins, Wentz, Prescott, and Watson.

I believe we're simply just in a short between period. The new superstars will come out in the next year or 2.

Altho, I will say safety and offensive lineman talent is pretty low imo

A big thing is the last crop largely came out (Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees) out of the shadow of Montana/Marino/Elway. They didn't have to play in the same league as them and look inferior early on. Whereas Luck/Newton/Smith/Dak still have to play in a league where you can see Brady and Rodgers tearing it up and looking world class on a consistent basis while Brees puts up gaudy numbers on a crap team. So the younger guys can't stand on their own.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

A big thing is the last crop largely came out (Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees) out of the shadow of Montana/Marino/Elway. They didn't have to play in the same league as them and look inferior early on. Whereas Luck/Newton/Smith/Dak still have to play in a league where you can see Brady and Rodgers tearing it up and looking world class on a consistent basis while Brees puts up gaudy numbers on a crap team. So the younger guys can't stand on their own.

Agreed. Hard for new guys to shine when the stars who've been burning bright for so long as still shining. That's why I said it'll come out in the next year or 2 cuz weve already seen Peyton and Romo retire and I doubt Big Ben, Brady, Brees, Rivers, and Eli will be around in 2019

Meh. People keep talking about lower ratings, NFL shooting themselves in the foot, etc and yet the NFL will make more money than ever this year and future forecasts have that continuing. 

What people don't understand is that steaming NFL games doesn't count towards the ratings. That is the main reason why ratings are "down". This isn't limited to the NFL either, it's happening to all sports.

8 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

What people don't understand is that steaming NFL games doesn't count towards the ratings.

You're right and I don't think it's a stretch to say online methods of viewing can account for most if not all of the ratings decline.

44 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is pretty much the long and short of it

Well that and tv has been trending down for the last ten years and finally the NFL is feeling the effects after a boom period.

Everything else is just pet issues that people have. Like politics. Politics driven cable news shoes were up last year, don't oh the most popular athletes of all time were politically charged figures, sports and politics have always been interwoven. For every one who hates the protests their is someone who checked it out for it. 

The rules? Over the last 5 years under the current set of rules the NFL has been more popular than at any point in its history. 

CTE? We saw guys like Seau kill themseleves and that didn't stop the ratings. Why would it be all of a sudden having an impact now? 

40 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Everything else is just pet issues that people have. Like politics. Politics driven cable news shoes were up last year, don't oh the most popular athletes of all time were politically charged figures, sports and politics have always been interwoven. For every one who hates the protests their is someone who checked it out for it. 

I think the thing is that people against the protests feel like there's a double standard. There are obviously people in sports talk that are against the protest who won't speak up out of fear of backlash,  possibly even firing. Meanwhile the sports writers who love this stuff get to pound the table all day long. In sports media it's a one sided conversation that doesn't accurately reflect the way the country actually feels about it. I think that's what really bothers people. Not so much politics in general. That one side is being forced on them.

Archived