[of note] Free Agency

odendin

I haven't been on for some years but this is going to be an excited year for offseason mocks..

I've been looking at a few but there's something most people aren't considering - the salary cap.

A lot of teams will need to cut players to get under cap. KC will, too, by like 18 million. But that means, we could get better value OL (other positions), we can get 1 year contracts for someone wanting to win a SB.

It's something to consider when mocking. You can visit other team msg boards to see who they think will be cut (or renegotiated).

2 hours ago, KCsb said:

NFL sets salary cap at $182.5 million

Which puts us at $-21,236,020

I look forward to seeing the upcoming extensions and restructures. My guesses below:

Tyreek Hill: 4 year extension

Tyrann Matheiu: 2 year extension

Mitchell Schwartz: 1 year extension

Eric Fisher: 1 year extension

Patrick Mahomes: Restructure

Chris Jones: Restructure

Anthony Hitchens: Restructure

Potential cuts:

Damien Williams

Dorian O'Daniel

Armani Watts

Darwin Thompson

I was hoping more for other teams to drop big name free agents... KC cutting Fisher and Schwartz, wow!

I think a resigning of Remmers at RT with Niang and we have RT and depth. Maybe Niang can go inside. Give him a glance at LT.

I really think this solidifies LT with the first pick, maybe even a move up. The free agents (so far) arent anything we can afford, or good enough to block Myhomie.

How about Orlando Brown Jr.?  Yea, we would need to give up our 1st and comp 4th, plus maybe a 4th or 5th next year - but the guy is a proven stud LT and only 24 years old.  He would hold down the LT position protecting Mahomes for a lot of years.  Hefty price for a solid long-term solution.

Hard pass on Brown.   We don’t need to be trading draft capital for pricey vets.   Trading a 1st for Frank Clark is a huge reason we’re in this mess right now.   I think it’s important to not panic because of one game,    As long as we have Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce we will be in playoff contention.     Just find a vet at LT that is priced right,  and add competition in the draft.   

I’d rather not push any large FA contracts into the years we’ll need to retain Nnadi and Thornhill.    

Edited by samsel23
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Hard pass on Brown.   We don’t need to be trading draft capital for pricey vets.   Trading a 1st for Frank Clark is a huge reason we’re in this mess right now.   I think it’s important to not panic because of one game,    As long as we have Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce we will be in playoff contention.     Just find a vet at LT that is priced right,  and add competition in the draft.   

I’d rather not push any large FA contracts into the years we’ll need to retain Nnadi and Thornhill.    

Honestly, anyways, I'd rather have 5 decent offensive linemen, than overinvest in one spot and still be stuck with a Reiter/Wylie caliber duo elsewhere. Brown seems like the kind of guy we'd have to pay too much for, and the rest would suffer from it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, anyways, I'd rather have 5 decent offensive linemen, than overinvest in one spot and still be stuck with a Reiter/Wylie caliber duo elsewhere. Brown seems like the kind of guy we'd have to pay too much for, and the rest would suffer from it. 

For sure.   Heck people were complaining about our CB core before last year.    Hit with one pick and turns out that was one of the deepest positions on the team.     Some(most)times it’s all about fit within the team.