Kenny Golladay-Are The Lions Right To Move On?

Just Want A Title

I read two things about the Lions and Kenny Golladay today:

1.  The Lions did not use the Franchise Tag on Kenny Golladay

2.  The Lions offered to make Kenny Golladay the 6th-highest paid WR in the NFL which he turned down.

Assuming the report was accurate I think the money they offered was about right.  He is a really good WR but is he a top-five WR?  I don't think so. I think he just want to play for a franchise that he thinks has a better shot of fielding a winning team.   I don't get why the Lions didn't make sure he won't land in the division.  Our lives will be miserable if he signs with Green Bay.  Thoughts?

Definitely made the right decision, both for the organization and for Golladay. 

Lions aren't paying top dollar for a WR while rebuilding the team. WR is definitely in play at #7 for MUCH cheaper than what Golladay was looking for. 

Golladay isn't wasting his prime years on a rebuilding team. 

I like Kenny G, but not at the price he will command in the open market, and certainly not for our rebuilding team. 

I could care less if he signs in the division.. He is good, not great. This is my personal opinion of course.

Edited by BarryTheBest
  • Like 1

Just now, BarryTheBest said:

I like Kenny G, but not at the price he will command in the open market, and certainly not for our rebuilding team. 

I could care less if he signs in the division.. Again, good not great. This is my personal opinion of course.

Besides, only the Vikings have cap room in our division and they need an upgrade at QB much more than another WR. 

Yeah, I do not see the vikings ponying up to pay him. Stranger things have happened, but they already have Jefferson/Theilen and a qb who is just good enough to keep you at 8-8/9-7. There defense has oles all around as well. Given the reduced cap, no way they afford to pay Kenny. I really do not think anyway.

I think it’s the right move. I don’t believe he’s worth tag money on a team undergoing a rebuild. Draft options plus numerous free agent options are available. 

It would also have major cap implications. I’m curious to see where they spend money in free agency.

Edited by diehardlionfan

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

In my opinion, the only circumstance where not tagging Golladay makes sense is if Holmes and Campbell are going to remain quiet in free agency and hope for a favorable compensatory pick. Otherwise, I don't see it.

I think this is the plan. They have both spoken to building through the draft to produce the core of a team. I do not think we will be going hard for any game changers in FA this year... Could totally be wrong though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I think this is the plan. They have both spoken to building through the draft to produce the core of a team. I do not think we will be going hard for any game changers in FA this year... Could totally be wrong though.

Yeah, I agree, and I actually think that makes sense. If they think that the compensatory pick will be better than what they could've gotten for him in a tag-and-trade scenario, it's the right decision.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

36 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I agree, and I actually think that makes sense. If they think that the compensatory pick will be better than what they could've gotten for him in a tag-and-trade scenario, it's the right decision.

I agree.  Also not tagging Okwara made sense.  If we lose both of them and don't sign significant resources we could have a a couple/few more mid round picks next year.  I think they understand the lack of talent on this team, and although they are not tanking, they are also not being short sighted on the rebuild and forcing it.  I think it hurts to lose a couple of guys that have been developed internally, mainly because we don't often have those kinds of guys, but I think it was the right move either way.  A tag and trade is risky, tagging a WR who was hurt half the year is also risky if you are stuck with him.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree.  Also not tagging Okwara made sense.  If we lose both of them and don't sign significant resources we could have a a couple/few more mid round picks next year.  I think they understand the lack of talent on this team, and although they are not tanking, they are also not being short sighted on the rebuild and forcing it.  I think it hurts to lose a couple of guys that have been developed internally, mainly because we don't often have those kinds of guys, but I think it was the right move either way.  A tag and trade is risky, tagging a WR who was hurt half the year is also risky if you are stuck with him.  

You can always withdraw the tag but a) it looks pretty crappy when you do that and not very player friendly; b) restricts your ability to make moves early on in FA since you have to account for having that guy on your roster. If he chooses to sign it and you can't find a trade partner, you're stuck with him. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

You can always withdraw the tag but a) it looks pretty crappy when you do that and not very player friendly; b) restricts your ability to make moves early on in FA since you have to account for having that guy on your roster. If he chooses to sign it and you can't find a trade partner, you're stuck with him. 

Gotta ask: if he refuses to sign the tag, is it really "crappy" to rescind it?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Gotta ask: if he refuses to sign the tag, is it really "crappy" to rescind it?

It's all about leverage. A lot of teams use the tag to help their leverage in negotiating a new contract. If you're tagging him without intending on negotiating a long term deal, he misses the beginning of free agency and then you drop the tag when a lot of the key spots are taken... that's probably not going to be a good look for the franchise. You have until mid-July to decide on a new contract. Free agency opens in March, draft is in April... there could be a multi-year contract and several millions of dollars lost as a result of that.