Kenny Golladay-Are The Lions Right To Move On?

Just Want A Title

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree.  Also not tagging Okwara made sense.  If we lose both of them and don't sign significant resources we could have a a couple/few more mid round picks next year.  I think they understand the lack of talent on this team, and although they are not tanking, they are also not being short sighted on the rebuild and forcing it.  I think it hurts to lose a couple of guys that have been developed internally, mainly because we don't often have those kinds of guys, but I think it was the right move either way.  A tag and trade is risky, tagging a WR who was hurt half the year is also risky if you are stuck with him.  

I think you nailed it here. It is also so critical to look at the success that the Rams and Saints have had with mid/late round picks over the last 5 years or so as well. Holmes/MCDC either had a huge hand in those selections, or were right there along the way in MCDCs case. They are confident in their ability to find equal or greater talent with the comp picks we ultimately get. This is how I see it anyway.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Gotta ask: if he refuses to sign the tag, is it really "crappy" to rescind it?

Don't ask us, ask the guys under contract to this team or who might be in the near future. If they think it is, then you have a problem, don't you.

If players hate being tagged in the first place, and they do, imagine how much more they hate to be tag and traded (edit: with no agreement in place with the new team). Not to say you could never do it, but I'd think that you would only do it if the benefit to your team far outweighs the hit you're going to take to your reputation with players. It doesn't here.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Don't ask us, ask the guys under contract to this team or who might be in the near future. If they think it is, then you have a problem, don't you.

If players hate being tagged in the first place, and they do, imagine how much more they hate to be tag and traded (edit: with no agreement in place with the new team). Not to say you could never do it, but I'd think that you would only do it if the benefit to your team far outweighs the hit you're going to take to your reputation with players. It doesn't here.

Huh? I was asking about rescinding a franchise tag that was applied to a player that refused to sign it.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It's all about leverage. A lot of teams use the tag to help their leverage in negotiating a new contract. If you're tagging him without intending on negotiating a long term deal, he misses the beginning of free agency and then you drop the tag when a lot of the key spots are taken... that's probably not going to be a good look for the franchise. You have until mid-July to decide on a new contract. Free agency opens in March, draft is in April... there could be a multi-year contract and several millions of dollars lost as a result of that. 

Well, sure. I'm referring to tagging a player, the player refuses to sign the franchise tender, and you rescind the tag. If that player is refusing to sign it, I can't imagine rescinding it is "crappy"... it would seem that doing so is directly in-line with that player's wants.

• Like 1

I think the big thing here, is that neither guy truly is worth the tag amount.  Maybe they get that value in free agency but at the same time, I wouldn't want to pay either of these guys the tag price for a year.  KG may think he is worth more, and I get that contracts increase every year so you can't really say every top 5 paid player is top 5 at their position, but KG has had one year where he was a top 10 in receiving yards and led the NFL in TD's.  That same year he was not even in the top 40 in receptions.  So he was a big play guy, but it didnt lead to consistent wins or first downs.  His next best year he was 17th in yards and 30th in receptions, top 40 in TDs.  Its not worth paying a guy for one year when he had an unsustainably high YPC and then was hurt all of last year.  My guess is he is viewed closer to Corey Davis on the free agent market than he is Allen Robinson and yet he wants Allen Robinson type money.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the big thing here, is that neither guy truly is worth the tag amount.  Maybe they get that value in free agency but at the same time, I wouldn't want to pay either of these guys the tag price for a year.  KG may think he is worth more, and I get that contracts increase every year so you can't really say every top 5 paid player is top 5 at their position, but KG has had one year where he was a top 10 in receiving yards and led the NFL in TD's.  That same year he was not even in the top 40 in receptions.  So he was a big play guy, but it didnt lead to consistent wins or first downs.  His next best year he was 17th in yards and 30th in receptions, top 40 in TDs.  Its not worth paying a guy for one year when he had an unsustainably high YPC and then was hurt all of last year.  My guess is he is viewed closer to Corey Davis on the free agent market than he is Allen Robinson and yet he wants Allen Robinson type money.  

injuries this year really killed him so hes more on potential at this point..I agree. Im ready to move on.