Free Agency

Johnny Nix

Yeah, given his injury history and grand total of 10.5 sacks the last TWO seasons, i'd be a little nervous giving Lawson $12-$13 million a year.  He also generated a ton of pressures, but he hasn't exactly been elite, even when he has been healthy.  If we do lose both though, that's a couple more big holes in what was already a bad defense last year.  I still think priority one needs to be protecting and building around Burrow, even if we have a year where we give up a ton of points.  I don't think anyone sees us as a super bowl contender this year, but thinking long term over the next two drafts and free agency, I think that's how we need to approach building this team to compete in 2022.

I don't think we're going to win anything with Taylor and Anarumo so I agree we should focus on protecting Burrow and let the next coaching staff fix the defense. Maybe Indy signs Lawson or Jackson, but most of the teams with lots of cap space aren't very good. So I wouldn't be surprised if one of them re-signed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, given his injury history and grand total of 10.5 sacks the last TWO seasons, i'd be a little nervous giving Lawson $12-$13 million a year.  He also generated a ton of pressures, but he hasn't exactly been elite, even when he has been healthy.  If we do lose both though, that's a couple more big holes in what was already a bad defense last year.  I still think priority one needs to be protecting and building around Burrow, even if we have a year where we give up a ton of points.  I don't think anyone sees us as a super bowl contender this year, but thinking long term over the next two drafts and free agency, I think that's how we need to approach building this team to compete in 2022.

Biggest reason to sign both those guys is lack of other options. Not a great reason to pay huge money to good but not great players.

I'm not. Bates had a very good season on a very bad defense in 2020. He would be a reasonable tag candidate in 2022 if he plays as well in 2021. Let him prove it's real and he can get a top of the market Safety deal. But let's not pay him based on 1 year. 

43 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

I would like to bring back Quentin Spain. I thought he played well. Hopefully we can add Zeitler and a RT for under 10mil each. 

Resign Spain, sign Zeitler back, pick up Daryl Williams for RT, and open the draft back up to BPA.  I think the three could be had in the $25-$28 range combined and each for about a 3 year deal.  You have XSF to back up at either guard, and Adeniji to back up at T before we add anyone in the draft.

LT: Jonah Williams
LG: Quentin Spain
OC: Trey Hopkins
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Daryl Williams

LT/RT: Hakeem Adeniji
LG/RG: Xavier Sua-Fila
OC: Billy Price

26 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Resign Spain, sign Zeitler back, pick up Daryl Williams for RT, and open the draft back up to BPA.  I think the three could be had in the $25-$28 range combined and each for about a 3 year deal.  You have XSF to back up at either guard, and Adeniji to back up at T before we add anyone in the draft.

LT: Jonah Williams
LG: Quentin Spain
OC: Trey Hopkins
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Daryl Williams

LT/RT: Hakeem Adeniji
LG/RG: Xavier Sua-Fila
OC: Billy Price

I would love it.