Free Agency

Johnny Nix

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Lawson got 3/45 from the Jets so they're both making 15 mil per season. Hendrickson had more sacks than Lawson last year so maybe he's an upgrade. Or maybe not. Bengals probably think they've made a big move in free agency by replacing like for like. 

Feels like a lateral move to me.  Lawson generated more pressures, Hendrickson finished more.  A QB pressure can still result in a good play for the offense, a sack nearly never does. For all the love Lawson is getting shown in FA, he had all of 5.5 sacks in a full season last year.  I would have preferred to have kept Lawson, but I can't imagine we didn't offer him a similar deal, so I'm not crying over the change.

10 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Feels like a lateral move to me.  Lawson generated more pressures, Hendrickson finished more.  A QB pressure can still result in a good play for the offense, a sack nearly never does. For all the love Lawson is getting shown in FA, he had all of 5.5 sacks in a full season last year.  I would have preferred to have kept Lawson, but I can't imagine we didn't offer him a similar deal, so I'm not crying over the change.

Gotta wonder if this is Lou-related.  I mean, same money rate for another year.  

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

So...

What do the Bengals do now with all that money they have and not many players out there worth it to spend it on?

Big time fail yesterday.

Options are:

1. Go big and overspend on Trent Williams.  Jonah moves to either LG or RT.
  2. Re-sign William Jackson.  That he didn't go on day 1 is a good sign.
  3. Curtis Samuel. Would kind of lock us into OL or trade back and then OL at 5.
  4. Trai Turner or Gabe Jackson for G.  Or at least re-sign Spain.  This is the biggest oof.
  5. Riley Reiff.  Not sure how much cheaper than Trent he would be, but he'a another option.  If we sign a tackle, then we could reasonably go G in rd 2 or maybe even rd 3 if we wanted Chase at 5 and an edge or CB at 38

I'm worried, but i'm not going to panic just yet.  Big fail if we don't add any at least average starting OL in FA.

The case for Hendrickson would be that he has as many sacks in his career as Lawson but he was stuck behind Davenport in NO (Saints paid 2 Firsts to draft Davenport). He also has less injury history than Lawson.  So I'm ok with the lateral move. Main concern is reports say he's getting 32 of his 60 mil in first 2 years so it doesn't sound like they've improved the way they structure deals. They're probably counting him at 15 mil or so on the cap, which is very inefficient. 

Hilton would be an upgrade from Alexander.

I'll guess they let Jackson leave and replace him with someone like Hayward.

We need 5 at least average starters on the offense including TE and WR3 but no signs we're even looking there. Striking out on Zeitler doesn't give any credit. But they'll probably sign cheaper stopgaps like Gabe Jackson or Richie Incognito.

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Trent Williams supposedly has a 4 year, $80 million deal on the table from the 49ers.  Not that the Bengals will be in on it, but would any of you be willing to top that for the Bengals?

5 years, $110 million?
4 years, $90 million?

I think at this point it’s assumed we are going Sewell/Slater at 5

24 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

I wouldn’t be upset, but I could see why the team doesn’t want to 

I wouldn't.  That's like 13% of the cap on one player.  In any other year, and our rookie contract QB, then yeah, maybe.  

While not ideal, the team is acting how I thought they would (minus a OG or two) in that they are using FA for the defense then drafting offense.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Trent Williams supposedly has a 4 year, $80 million deal on the table from the 49ers.  Not that the Bengals will be in on it, but would any of you be willing to top that for the Bengals?

5 years, $110 million?
4 years, $90 million?

Yes. In the TCMD mock I just missed getting him with a 4/110 offer that was really 3/72 with fluff in year 4.  

The advantages of adding the best LT in the game are huge. It's a big step toward having an overall above average line. If you remember the 80s, Munoz (and Montoya) were the bedrock and Kozerski, Wilson, Lapham, Reimers, etc were complementary pieces. Plus Mouse was a great O-line coach.

Hopkins and Jonah are adequate but if we added Trent and a couple of journeymen guards, Burrow could survive the 2021 season and develop further.

57 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I wouldn't.  That's like 13% of the cap on one player.  In any other year, and our rookie contract QB, then yeah, maybe.  

While not ideal, the team is acting how I thought they would (minus a OG or two) in that they are using FA for the defense then drafting offense.

I agree that's what they are doing but it's pretty stupid. PFF made the argument at length for signing vets for the O-line over drafting Sewell but I'd just note that protecting Burrow should be the greatest priority of the offseason and counting on rookies to do that is just dumb.