Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

While RW makes us a better team on paper, I can't see it happening.  First, how many draft picks will it cost us to get him?  Quite a few, pieces we need to rebuild on offense and reload on defense.  Secondly, RW is owed $30+ the next three years(as of now)  maybe he restructures his contract, but it'll still cost us a lot.  Or current cap space is -$17.5+ million.  We'd have to cut a few players to make that happen as well.  Personally, I'd rather use our draft picks to build our team, not give them away like they're candy like Pace does.  We have 8 picks, Pace thinks we have way too many.

Wilson’s cap hits 2021-23 to a team acquiring him by trade: 

2021: $19M

2022: $24M

2023: $27M

The signing bonus amortization $13M in each of those seasons stays with SEA. 

Toooooooooooootally palatable. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

But I worry about what happens if you acquire him and it's not enough to put the team over the top.

That's the thing. Getting Wilson is just the first move. How you handle everything after that is what's really important. 

Pace is going to have to step up his GM game. In a big way. He can't fail the team anymore--as he did in the last draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's the thing. Getting Wilson is just the first move. How you handle everything after that is what's really important. 

Pace is going to have to step up his GM game. In a big way. He can't fail the team anymore--as he did in the last draft. 

I don’t know that that’s necessarily true, at least not at every position. I think having an elite QB will give him a wider hit radius as far as offensive skill guys go which will give a little more margin for error elsewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a franchise QB as much as the next guy but a really overlooked issue with Watson is his injury history to date. 2 ACL tears (1 on each knee) is something to ponder.

Dec 25, 2019 - NFL Back Lower Lumbar SprainWatson with back injury was listed as limited participant ahead of the Week 17 game against the Titans. He was active and served as the backup to AJ McCarron in the contest

Nov 2, 2017 - NFLKnee ACL Tear Grade 3Watson tore his right ACL in practice.

Nov 20, 2014 - Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3. Watson suffered a torn left ACL in practice. He played with the injury vs. South Carolina on 11/29/14.

Nov 15, 2014 - Non-NFL Knee LCL Sprain Grade 2. Watson suffered a sprained left LCL vs. Georgia Tech.

Oct 11, 2014 - Non-NFL Hand Finger Fracture. Watson sat out 3 games before returning vs. Georgia Tech.

Apr 7, 2014 - Non-NFL Shoulder Clavicle Fracture. Watson sustained a slight crack in his collarbone during a spring scrimmage

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

While RW makes us a better team on paper, I can't see it happening.  First, how many draft picks will it cost us to get him?  Quite a few, pieces we need to rebuild on offense and reload on defense.  Secondly, RW is owed $30+ the next three years(as of now)  maybe he restructures his contract, but it'll still cost us a lot.  Or current cap space is -$17.5+ million.  We'd have to cut a few players to make that happen as well.  Personally, I'd rather use our draft picks to build our team, not give them away like they're candy like Pace does.  We have 8 picks, Pace thinks we have way too many.

 

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I can understand the want to have a great QB regardless of what else happens. And I think the Bears' best chance is most likely with Wilson rather than without him.

But I worry about what happens if you acquire him and it's not enough to put the team over the top.

2SpzJtx.gif

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Imagine if the Bears go into the season with minshew or Mariota after all the Wilson hype. That would be 2016 levels of bleak. 

People will be bummed if they go Darnold and/or Minshew. But that could still turn out well.

If it's Mariota, I'm officially on suicide watch...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, malagabears said:

I want a franchise QB as much as the next guy but a really overlooked issue with Watson is his injury history to date. 2 ACL tears (1 on each knee) is something to ponder.

Dec 25, 2019 - NFL Back Lower Lumbar SprainWatson with back injury was listed as limited participant ahead of the Week 17 game against the Titans. He was active and served as the backup to AJ McCarron in the contest

Nov 2, 2017 - NFLKnee ACL Tear Grade 3Watson tore his right ACL in practice.

Nov 20, 2014 - Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3. Watson suffered a torn left ACL in practice. He played with the injury vs. South Carolina on 11/29/14.

Nov 15, 2014 - Non-NFL Knee LCL Sprain Grade 2. Watson suffered a sprained left LCL vs. Georgia Tech.

Oct 11, 2014 - Non-NFL Hand Finger Fracture. Watson sat out 3 games before returning vs. Georgia Tech.

Apr 7, 2014 - Non-NFL Shoulder Clavicle Fracture. Watson sustained a slight crack in his collarbone during a spring scrimmage

Wilson has been one of most durable QBs ever to play in NFL.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think given all smoke and fire that is not being denied by anyone involved it is highly likely Seattle is squeezing every last concession they can from Pace right now before they pull the trigger.

Going to be interesting that is for sure.

Don't expect to be drafting on day one for foreseeable future.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rams and Bears are going to try to show if you can build a contending team largely outside of the early rounds of draft.

This goes against CW.   It may not be a stupid move given the miss rate on draft picks for everyone.   I think the key is not over paying guys who are no longer highly motivated to succeed or work in offseason and just looking for that last pay day.   Not always easy to identify.      

Will be an interesting experiment to watch. 

Pace has shown he is pretty good at drafting later rounds.   His FA record has been pretty spotty though.    

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard this on a podcast... I must say I don't hate it:

Sign Alex Smith to a cheap, 1 year $3M deal to compete with Nick Foles for the starting job.

Trade up from #20 to #11 for Trey Lance. Cost will be #20, #52, #164.


Trey Lance sits for all of 2021 no matter what. If Smith is the starter and gets hurt, Foles go in (and vice-versa). In 2022 you unleash Trey Lance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think given all smoke and fire that is not being denied by anyone involved it is highly likely Seattle is squeezing every last concession they can from Pace right now before they pull the trigger.

As they should. I am honestly mentally prepared for it to be an absurd compensation: 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd for Russell Wilson and their 2021 4th round pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...