Russell Wilson?

dll2000

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Rappaport just said it looks like the deal isn't happening...

Michael Silver...who is close to the situation said that Seahawks will deal Wilson if Bears blow them away with an offer so the ball is in Pace's court 

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He didn't say it on Twitter.  

Really? I thought that was the basis for the story I read. My phone gave me that one, I don't remember what it was. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Either way, hopefully the story is wrong. Obviously. 

You said an hour ago.  So i combed through his recent tweets and found nothing.

Above is his latest - I missed it because it was 8 hours back.   But it is essentially same exact thing. 

He says Seattle GM is listening to offers but is not doing anything with them at moment.

That doesn't really mean anything one way or other.   If he is right it means Bears aren't close to completing any kind of deal.  

He isn't Adam Shefter though.  He isn't as connected.   Seems weird neither Bears no Seattle are denying rumors and reports of trade talks.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I watched that video. He never said "a deal is unlikely." He said it wasn't imminent and that it will take some time to complete due to so many variables

Cool. We'll see what happens. The story cast things in a...more pessimistic light. 

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

There's definitely been something going on, for sure. 

Right now rumor has it that Pete Carroll is hot for Sam Darnold and wants him as Russ's replacement but the Jets want to wait to evaluate top QB prospects (Wilson/Fields) at their pro days in late March before deciding whether to move on from Darnold.

Now I don't know if this is true or that I believe it but I've read that  this is what could be holding up the Russ trade situation...

• Like 1

I'll just say on the whole Russ Wilson situation...what keeps this dream alive for me is the fact that the team has not cut Jimmy Graham, who if you asked most Bears fans earlier in the offseason what they thought, he was a pretty likely cut candidate due to the $7M cap savings the team would have received in doing so and with the team having drafted a young & emerging TE in Kmet early last year

I personally think the reason he's still around is simply because they are trying to recruit his good buddy Russ.

If they can find a way to get a trade done then I have no issues with them keeping Graham for his last year...otherwise he should probably be cut lol

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Right now rumor has it that Pete Carroll is hot for Sam Darnold and wants him as Russ's replacement but the Jets want to wait to evaluate top QB prospects (Wilson/Fields) at their pro days in late March before deciding whether to move on from Darnold.

Now I don't know if this is true or that I believe it but I've read that  this is what could be holding up the Russ trade situation...

This all might be true. But... in this scenario the Seahawks would be thinking they are in the driver's seat, and they clearly aren't.

Sure, they have the leverage, but they don't have the absolute control they think they do. Time is running out on them. If they want to move Wilson and acquire Darnold, then simply do it. If this is all what's going on, then Schneider and Carroll are miscalculating. The Seahawks don't have a lot of draft capital at the moment, making it incredibly easy for another team to swoop in and get Darnold. Then they'd have a QB who may go to demanding a trade, and their first alternative would be gone. 

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I'll just say on the whole Russ Wilson situation...what keeps this dream alive for me is the fact that the team has not cut Jimmy Graham, who if you asked most Bears fans earlier in the offseason what they thought, he was a pretty likely cut candidate due to the $7M cap savings the team would have received in doing so and with the team having drafted a young & emerging TE in Kmet early last year

I personally think the reason he's still around is simply because they are trying to recruit his good buddy Russ.

If they can find a way to get a trade done then I have no issues with them keeping Graham for his last year...otherwise he should probably be cut lol

Go back in time a couple months and tell yourself that "Jimmy Graham is on the hot seat if he can't bring Russell Wilson to Chicago"

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I think San Darnold talk came from on air speculation by Colin Cowherd.  

It might be true, but is not known.    Just speculation.  

On 3/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, G08 said:

As they should. I am honestly mentally prepared for it to be an absurd compensation: 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd for Russell Wilson and their 2021 4th round pick.

As good as Russell Wilson is, and as much as I'd love to see him go to Chicago, that is just TOO much to give up.  You would be in a situation with a great quarterback and not enough assets to put a capable enough team around him during the great years he has left. 

After those years are over, you would then have to spend a couple of years filling potholes with what has been left unattended to at various positions.  By the time you have done that, Russell Wilson will have been in the league for 14 years.  You might be able to squeak out a Super Bowl in the few years after that, but it's a lot to give up for such a short window. 

As much as it pains me to think about it, the wiser move might be to just blow it up right now and, endure a brutal 2-3 win season and start all over with a new regime and an elite rookie prospect in 2022.  That would give the Bears the best chance at a Super Bowl win.  I said the same thing about the Vikings way back in 2018.  They didn't (and probably never would) do it, but sometimes it requires taking a step back before taking two steps forward.

The Jaguars did do this in 2020, and that's why I decided to become a fan of their team.  They are a team that has endured a lot of losing seasons, but now they have a new regime in place, a bunch of draft picks, tons of cap room, and the sky is the limit.  I'd love to see that situation for this great group of Bears fans here on Football's Future.  You could have your pick of quarterbacks, and enjoy his services for 15-18 years.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I just don’t see the impetus for Seattle to trade him quickly. I doubt they’re waiting to make a move for Sam Darnold. They’re waiting to be blown away by an offer.

IF they were going to do it.  Timing it would be key.

Each domino that falls takes a competitive bidder off table.   

Also what is Seattles plan at QB then?   Bears don’t really offer a solution so they have to go elsewhere. 

It think it could be Seattle trades a 2nd for Darnold or Tua and then trades Wilson to Bears for a truckload of picks and a young talent on a rookie contract because of dead cap of Wilson.

If I was Seattle I would ask for Bears next 3 1’s, 3’s, a 2021 2, and JJ.  I think Pace takes that.

I would truck a 2nd to Jets or Miami for Darnold or Tua (I would work them out and interview them first).

• Like 1