Russell Wilson?

dll2000

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

IF they were going to do it.  Timing it would be key.

Each domino that falls takes a competitive bidder off table.   

Also what is Seattles plan at QB then?   Bears don’t really offer a solution so they have to go elsewhere. 

It think it could be Seattle trades a 2nd for Darnold or Tua and then trades Wilson to Bears for a truckload of picks and a young talent on a rookie contract because of dead cap of Wilson.

If I was Seattle I would ask for Bears next 3 1’s, 3’s, a 2021 2, and JJ.  I think Pace takes that.

I would truck a 2nd to Jets or Miami for Darnold or Tua (I would work them out and interview them first).

It could be argued that it is in Seattle's best interest do make a decision before too long in this scenario.  If Seattle waits too long, they could find themselves in the unfortunate situation where the Bears just decide to trade for Sam Darnold themselves.  Then Seattle would have left themselves hanging in the breeze by losing out on the QB they wanted for their future and also losing possibly the strongest suitor for the QB they are wanting to get rid of.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

As good as Russell Wilson is, and as much as I'd love to see him go to Chicago, that is just TOO much to give up.  You would be in a situation with a great quarterback and not enough assets to put a capable enough team around him during the great years he has left. 

After those years are over, you would then have to spend a couple of years filling potholes with what has been left unattended to at various positions.  By the time you have done that, Russell Wilson will have been in the league for 14 years.  You might be able to squeak out a Super Bowl in the few years after that, but it's a lot to give up for such a short window. 

As much as it pains me to think about it, the wiser move might be to just blow it up right now and, endure a brutal 2-3 win season and start all over with a new regime and an elite rookie prospect in 2022.  That would give the Bears the best chance at a Super Bowl win.  I said the same thing about the Vikings way back in 2018.  They didn't (and probably never would) do it, but sometimes it requires taking a step back before taking two steps forward.

The Jaguars did do this in 2020, and that's why I decided to become a fan of their team.  They are a team that has endured a lot of losing seasons, but now they have a new regime in place, a bunch of draft picks, tons of cap room, and the sky is the limit.  I'd love to see that situation for this great group of Bears fans here on Football's Future.  You could have your pick of quarterbacks, and enjoy his services for 15-18 years.

You may want to rethink your new team.   Their free agency picks thus far are pretty suck relative to what they could have had. 

Not sure Urban knows what he is doing.   May be Spurrier part duex.  Reminds me of his free agency moves when he came in.  

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

It could be argued that it is in Seattle's best interest do make a decision before too long in this scenario.  If Seattle waits too long, they could find themselves in the unfortunate situation where the Bears just decide to trade for Sam Darnold themselves.  Then Seattle would have left themselves hanging in the breeze by losing out on the QB they wanted for their future and also losing possibly the strongest suitor for the QB they are wanting to get rid of.

Yes, but they would be stuck with Russell Wilson.  They are in a strong position either way assuming Wilson doesn’t sulk there.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You may want to rethink your new team.   Their free agency picks thus far are pretty suck relative to what they could have had. 

Not sure Urban knows what he is doing.   May be Spurrier part duex.  Reminds me of his free agency moves when he came in.  

Hard to say.  It would have been more exciting if they had spent more money on some splashy moves.  They have the money and they certainly do have the needs on the roster.  So far, it looks like they just went after some guys for depth.  I'm just going to trust that Urban knows what he's doing, because I'm sure no expert myself.  It's not like they were going to go from 1-15 to Super Bowl contenders in one season anyway.  It's a process that is going to take a few years.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yes, but they would be stuck with Russell Wilson.  They are in a strong position either way assuming Wilson doesn’t sulk there.   

Very true.  There are certainly worse situations to find yourself in than to be "stuck" with Russell Wilson. 

53 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think San Darnold talk came from on air speculation by Colin Cowherd.  

It might be true, but is not known.    Just speculation.  

Carroll's on record as saying he thinks Darnold is going to end up being a good QB. Hard to say if that means he wants him in Seattle, though. 

45 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

As much as it pains me to think about it, the wiser move might be to just blow it up right now and, endure a brutal 2-3 win season and start all over with a new regime and an elite rookie prospect in 2022.  That would give the Bears the best chance at a Super Bowl win.  I said the same thing about the Vikings way back in 2018.  They didn't (and probably never would) do it, but sometimes it requires taking a step back before taking two steps forward.

This might all be true. Pace and Nagy don't see it that way, as it would mean they'd be fired. Also, George McCaskey doesn't want to fire those two unless he REALLY has to.

23 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hard to say.  It would have been more exciting if they had spent more money on some splashy moves.  They have the money and they certainly do have the needs on the roster.  So far, it looks like they just went after some guys for depth.  I'm just going to trust that Urban knows what he's doing, because I'm sure no expert myself.  It's not like they were going to go from 1-15 to Super Bowl contenders in one season anyway.  It's a process that is going to take a few years.

If they do it right, they could be a (basically) contending team in 2-3 years. So far, it doesn't look like they're doing it right. But free agency isn't over yet. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

IF they were going to do it.  Timing it would be key.

Each domino that falls takes a competitive bidder off table.   

Also what is Seattles plan at QB then?   Bears don’t really offer a solution so they have to go elsewhere. 

It think it could be Seattle trades a 2nd for Darnold or Tua and then trades Wilson to Bears for a truckload of picks and a young talent on a rookie contract because of dead cap of Wilson.

If I was Seattle I would ask for Bears next 3 1’s, 3’s, a 2021 2, and JJ.  I think Pace takes that.

I would truck a 2nd to Jets or Miami for Darnold or Tua (I would work them out and interview them first).

I think this would all be true if Seattle had to trade him. But they don't. They can wait this situation out and it's highly unlikely that Wilson will sit.

And regardless of the current market, a top QB will always be in demand. At any time in any season in NFL history you can find a group of teams that would fall over themselves to trade for a top QB like Wilson.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Go back in time a couple months and tell yourself that "Jimmy Graham is on the hot seat if he can't bring Russell Wilson to Chicago"

I just don't see why he would still be on the roster at this point

He's not worth $10M for next year$ and $7M is cap savings would be huge right now 

Do you not agree?

44 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He's not worth $10M for next year$ and $7M is cap savings would be huge right now 

Do you not agree?

I think he does. He's just pointing out how bizarre the situation is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Do you not agree?

I totally agree.  I also find the mental image of Jimmy Graham realizing he needs to get Russell Wilson to Chicago or he's cut absolutely hilarious.  The image continues with Wilson's agent answering a call  and being like 'what the hell.... why is a player calling me with an offer?"

12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Right now rumor has it that Pete Carroll is hot for Sam Darnold and wants him as Russ's replacement but the Jets want to wait to evaluate top QB prospects (Wilson/Fields) at their pro days in late March before deciding whether to move on from Darnold.

Now I don't know if this is true or that I believe it but I've read that  this is what could be holding up the Russ trade situation...

Rumors for over a month on our side say the same thing. Jets are waiting for the pro days to make the final decision on Sam. Unless someone offers a late 1st which clearly has not happened. Supposedly, 3 teams have offered 2nd round picks.

So what you’re hearing is consistent to what Jets fans have been hearing for over a month. 

• Like 3

What we know:

• Pace and Nagy are on hotseat.
  • Pace and Nagy want to keep their jobs past this year.
  • Pace and Nagy need a better season than last year to keep their job.     
  • Bears don't have a starting QB in Foles that they feel can improve on last year.   
  • Even great rookies usually aren't good out of gate in rookie year.
  • If Bears liked available guys on market they would probably be on team by now last year or this year.  

Conclusion:

They have to trade for a QB to save their job.

Who that is remains to be seen.

I think they want Watson and Russell 1,2.    Both of those are fair long shots though.

Guess we'll see who they end up with.   But it narrows the list considerably.

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think they want Watson and Russell 1,2.    Both of those are fair long shots though.

I think that if there is any possibility of landing Watson, we would have heard a helluva lot more rumors by now. With the Cardinals coming up as a possible destination, I think it's clear that the Texans either want a quarterback in return, or a high enough pick they can nab a new QB. 

I'm actually starting to think that the Cardinals might be Watson's new home. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Probably looking at in order of (guessing) Pace preference for a trade:

1. Watson

2. Wilson

3. Carr

4. Darnold

5. Minshew

6. Tua

Am I missing anyone? 

They could have had Bridgewater, Mariotta, Dalton, etc. before and passed.    I don't think they want Alex Smith or Tyrod Taylor.   

I don't think any other starters would be traded.