Vikings Release Riley Reiff

RpMc

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Lynch and Watts have both lined up at 3T

I did forget about Lynch, but I certainly don’t see him as any type of replacement. And while Watt has lined up there, I don’t see that as his natural position. Just like NT wasn’t Stephen’s natural position, yet that’s where he lined up last year. 

Wow that is a surprise, especially since Reiff is the best pass protecting offensive lineman on the team last year that was pretty awful pass protecting.  Cleveland is probably a better LT than guard though but I seriously doubt he can play at the level Reiff did last year at LT.  Curious move, does focus the guard position more though and hopefully they can trade back into the 2nd round and steal a guard like Wyatt Davis or Leatherwood.

So with cutting Rudolph, Bailey and now Reiff are they in the positive yet cap wise?

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

How in the world would they afford not only Lamp but also Zeitler?  Seriously doubt that happens and honestly not sure Zeitler is that good of a fit, decent player but not sure in this type of system.    

3T isn’t Stephen’s natural position either. Watts ability to push the pocket and penetrate is much more suitable for that spot as a place holder. 

Stephen is nothing more than a situational run stuffer as a 3T

Edited by RpMc

LT Ezra Cleveland
LG            /                    / Zach Bailey
C Garrett Bradbury
OG            /  Dru Samia
OT Brian O'Neill / Oli Udoh /  Blake Brandel

Looks pretty bad right now, unless they have big time faith in Dru Samia or Zach Bailey to take over one of those starting OG spots and most likely no way that is happening.  Or they think they can bring back Dozier cheap as a OG but not sure that is the best idea either.  All the rest of the guys are free agents or have been cut.  

Will be really curious what they do here.  

And to those that oddly believe the DL is in worse shape than the OL, BS on that one.  They have far more depth and potential players on the DL than we do on the OL who are under contract for next year.  It is really not even close, technically have no massive holes like the OL has currently, would have not have a problem at all with that starting group or the backups especially at DE on both edges.  Interior sure should be addressed possibly but as big of a need as OG is right now?  No way.  

DE Danielle Hunter / DJ Wonnum / Kenny Willekes
DT Michael Pierce / Armon Watts
DT Shamar Stephen / James Lynch
DE Jalyn Holmes / Stephen Weatherly / Hercules Mata'afa /  Jordan Brailford

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Freakout said:

I want to be hopeful but it is tough with the teams history.  Always feels like we take one step forward and then two steps back.

Not necessarily (and apparently I'm the Debbie Downer here lol).

We've made strides with our OL. Letting Reiff go stinks but we created a good amount of cap room now. 

I think this move signals that we go OL in round 1. There is a lot of talent to be found at 1.14, and I think we can get if 4 QBs go before our pick.

14 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Wouldn't Orlando Brown Jr be a huge departure from the athletic profile they have been seeking in offensive linemen recently?  I'll believe that one when I see it.

I’m sure any call to Baltimore is not much more than due diligence. But, there’s also the possibility that calling Baltimore amidst Brown asking for a trade because he wants to play LT, isn’t necessarily about Brown. 

If Brown is demanding to play left tackle, I’d certainly be making inquiries about Ronnie Stanley. 

There’s also the possibility that if you could obtain a player like Brown, you shift your athletic profile. 

Edited by SemperFeist

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And to those that oddly believe the DL is in worse shape than the OL, BS on that one.  They have far more depth and potential players on the DL than we do on the OL who are under contract for next year.  It is really not even close, technically have no massive holes like the OL has currently, would have not have a problem at all with that starting group or the backups especially at DE on both edges. 

You list Holmes as your starting DE opposite Hunter and claim you have no problems with that?

Any DE not named Hunter on this roster is a backup. They aren't starter material.

Yes, I "oddly" believe that Holmes and Stephen can, and should be replaced as I would have had as much pass-rush ability than they showed last year.

Call me crazy.

So we have 2 OL and 2 DL that need new starters. Our guards can't protect the QB and our DL can't pressure the QB. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Let the draft value determine the pick. Right now that still looks to me like Kwity Paye if he's available, as DE is a premium position compared to OG. If that guard from Ohio State (Wyatt Davis) wasn't injured he could've been the pick even though #14 for a guard is drastic. Vera-Tucker is being mocked to the Vikings sometimes, but he's being valued as more of a mid-late round pick. So would you trade down? Otherwise the value for the position is there at DE with Paye.  

You will disagree because you don't like Paye's production last season. Can you at least acknowledge how most draft-site draft boards have Paye in the 10-15 range? If the Vikings aren't taking him it's usually because the Giants or Lions are taking him before us.

I have no problem saying that offensive line is a bigger need right now than the defensive line. To me, it isn't even close. Going into the draft with the current defensive line wouldn't be a complete cluster, but if the Vikings are heading into the draft with the current offensive line heads should roll.

I am not ready to say anything about what I think the team should do at any point in the draft. Let's see how free agency goes. Ideally, the glaring holes on the offensive line will be filled with something or another before the draft. Ideally the team can draft for value instead of being forced to draft either of the lines.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, babababa said:

You list Holmes as your starting DE opposite Hunter and claim you have no problems with that?

Any DE not named Hunter on this roster is a backup. They aren't starter material.

Yes, I "oddly" believe that Holmes and Stephen can, and should be replaced as I would have had as much pass-rush ability than they showed last year.

Call me crazy.

So we have 2 OL and 2 DL that need new starters. Our guards can't protect the QB and our DL can't pressure the QB. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Let the draft value determine the pick. Right now that still looks to me like Kwity Paye if he's available, as DE is a premium position compared to OG. If that guard from Ohio State (Wyatt Davis) wasn't injured he could've been the pick even though #14 for a guard is drastic. Vera-Tucker is being mocked to the Vikings sometimes, but he's being valued as more of a mid-late round pick. So would you trade down? Otherwise the value for the position is there at DE with Paye.  

You will disagree because you don't like Paye's production last season. Can you at least acknowledge how most draft-site draft boards have Paye in the 10-15 range? If the Vikings aren't taking him it's usually because the Giants or Lions are taking him before us.

I say again is he better than AJ Epenesa or Gross-Matos from last year as a college prospect overall looking at their entire career?  The fact is no he is not and both of them were 2nd round picks.  Will see how his pro day is, sure if he runs some crazy 40 time but even that who knows how accurate it is with some of these other times.

I would not hate getting Paye but getting a OL is more important I feel based on the list I showed you.  And sure Holmes might not be a starter but Wonnum absolutely could be and so could Weatherly if need be.  Not to mention all the other backups they have who have shown potential.  Both OG spots right now are absolute zeros in terms of legit starters so that is a massive problem unless they love the backups, but see how well that worked with Samia last year, not well.

They should trade out of the pick, because honestly no one fits that draft placement value in the positions they need.  But sure if we got Paye there are much worse things than that, just again I feel he is a bit overrated at this point, especially as a 14th pick overall.  Best case to trade out would be if Mac Jones falls and they work something with the Bears or Patriots or someone.  

Looking at the OL and DL, no way is one not better than the other in terms of youth, overall talent and long term potential.  Especially now since more top level OL will be going late 1st round with the Chiefs just cutting both starting tackles.  Ravens I feel will go interior OL as well 1st round possibly, same with Buffalo, and the Colts since they lost a starting OT to retirement, and the Bears if there is no QB could be looking OL, and the Raiders as well who just cut both starting guards also.  So yeah the OL will go fast and come the 3rd round might not have a ton left.  Quinn Meinerz could go early 2nd round from being possibly late 3rd or 4th rounder just on need alone of some teams for interior guys which there are not a ton of.  Pass on these dudes now and they will not be around in the 3rd unless one really likes Robert Hainsey types who could be there or Royce Newman.