All Defense Mock Draft

Louis Friend

Got the idea from Detfan. Can you do a mock with only defense? No free agency to fall back on or plan. Just draft. 

In my mock scenario, Justin Fields dropped to #7 so I traded back with San Francisco for 1.12 and 2.11.

Round 1 Pick 12 (S.F.): Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB/OLB, Notre Dame- My draft crush. I really like JOK's game. The more film I watch of his, the more I can imagine using him in different scenarios. He can do it all.  6'2" 216lbs He has the athleticism we've lacked with our LBers. Can be a superstar at Will. 

0047046-yybf-1280x720-1.jpg

I wasn't going to trade again, but when it came to our #2.9 pick, New England offered 3 picks to move back 5 spots, so I took it. This is my mock, I'll do what I want LOL

Round 2 Pick 11 (S.F.): Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh6'2" 290 lb DT. Explosive pass rusher. Good use of hands. People consider him "undersized" for the position, much like Suh going into the draft. His production says otherwise. He's the most productive Pitt DT since a guy named Aaron Donald. I think Holmes may have heard of him. I think he's our starting 3 gap guy right away.

EGiS4f2XUAAaAvj.jpg

Round 2 Pick 14 (N.E.): Jevon Holland, FS/SS, OregonI don't know how many times I have to say that I'm not impressed with our safeties. Great versatility and ball skills. He can play any scheme. He attacks the ball. Great speed. 

oregon-ducks-s-jevon-holland-lines-up-on

Round 3 Pick 8: Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida StateDoubling up at tackle here. I love Marvin Wilson. Without the leg injury this season and poor start, he would have been a late 1st/ early 2nd round pick. Because of this injury, we get him in the 3rd. Can play any front, but probably better in the 1 gap next to a more explosive DT (like Twyman ;-)).

KKECMGURPRE4NHK4SVXMCPTPJE.jpg

Round 3 Pick 24: Caden Sterns, FS/SS, Texas6'0" 210lb. Smart, aggressive ball hawk, sound tackler, not the most physical. He needs some coaching. He can stand to bite a few kneecaps. 

ap_19244603407586.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=

Round 3 Pick 32 (N.E.): Baron Browning, ILB/OLB, Ohio State6'3" 261lbs. Browning's biggest weakness is consistency. He shows flashes in all areas, but he can break down as well. That team down south moved him all over the place and that doesn't seem to play to his strength which is in coverage or blitzing. Probably best suited as a Sam in the NFL.

BaronBrowning-1024x683.jpg

Round 4 Pick 7: Rodarius Williams, CB, Oklahoma State6'0" 193lbs. Williams biggest flaws are age and slow to react to unfavorable situations. He's a RS senior, will be 25 when his first NFL season starts. He's the older brother of Greedy Williams. Becuase of the division he played in, didn't spend alot of time in press man coverage. The few times he saw it, he was slow to react. But he excels in off man coverage, he uses his size and length to his advantage. Might not be a second contract corner for us, but he'll definitely push Okudah/Oruwariye while he's here. 

EjA5f9lWAAIxPkW.jpg

Round 4 Pick 15 (N.E.): Jordan Smith, DE/OLB, UAB- 6'6" 255 lb athlete. Smith is probably best suited as a 3-4 OLB. He has the length and and natural raw ability to be moved around to multiple roles and fronts. It's hard to pigeon-hole him. I think he can play DE/OLB for us which creative coaching. 

9909091.jpg

Round 5 Pick 9: Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh-  6'5" 250lb DE. Lacks versatility. He's a 4-3 defensive end. He doesn't have the explosive burst of someone like Oweh, but he is relentless. He's solid in the run game. His best trait is probably his consistency. He gives you the same energy and aggressiveness every single snap. I can see him going anywhere from round 2 to round 5. This is a deep DL class and his lack of scheme diversity limits his potential landing spots. 

UXKPYRNJPBHLZLKYHIBOC4T6WI.jpg

2020 Detroit Lions defense:

DE: Julian Okwara/Jordan Smith

DT: Jaylen Twyman/Da'Shawn Hand

DT: Marvin Wilson/John Penisini

DE: Trey Flowers/Patrick Jones

LB: Jamie Collins/Baron Browning

LB: Jahlani Tavai/Jamie Collins

LB: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah/Jordan Smith

CB: Jeff Okudah/Rodarius Williams

FS: Tracy Walker/Caden Sterns

SS: Jevon Holland/Will Harris

CB: Amani Oruwariye/Mike Ford

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

So, exactly how do you make this happen for real?

I'd love a draft like this.  Yes, we would still have needs at WR. But outside of WR I don't think our offense is that far off. This, of course, depends on how Goff is.

no main RB (swift is an elusive receiving back, maybe 10-15 touches total a game) , no #1/2/3 WR at all, NO TE 2, G is horrible, RT is arguably terrible. Goff will just get murdered week 1 when we have no run game so he has to throw and no oline to block for him. Oh wait sounds like last year lol...no wonder the defense was toooo tired to do anything lol. Id like to see how much time d vs offense for us last year. 

48 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

no main RB (swift is an elusive receiving back, maybe 10-15 touches total a game) , no #1/2/3 WR at all, NO TE 2, G is horrible, RT is arguably terrible. Goff will just get murdered week 1 when we have no run game so he has to throw and no oline to block for him. Oh wait sounds like last year lol...no wonder the defense was toooo tired to do anything lol. Id like to see how much time d vs offense for us last year. 

outside of WR, our offense isn't that far off.

****edit***
I said it isn't that far off. I didn't say we had all pros at every position.  Also in comparison to defense, which this mock is, the offense is much closer in being competitive. I think RG will be fine with HV. RT is a need so are the WR...which I stated in the first post.  Almost every team in the league is a rbc, and we have swift. If not having a No 2 TE going into a complete rebuild is a concern for you, you are going to have a very long year.

We have great draft capital going into next year in which we could use on these positions you stated.  I believe building a solid D with the offense we have now will serve us better and faster than building the O. So yes, outside of WR with what we know we have during a multi-year rebuild, our offense is closer than our defense. All this depends on the performance of Goff...which I also stated.

Edited by LionArkie

3 hours ago, LionArkie said:

****edit***
I said it isn't that far off. I didn't say we had all pros at every position.  Also in comparison to defense, which this mock is, the offense is much closer in being competitive. I think RG will be fine with HV. RT is a need so are the WR...which I stated in the first post.  Almost every team in the league is a rbc, and we have swift. If not having a No 2 TE going into a complete rebuild is a concern for you, you are going to have a very long year.

We have great draft capital going into next year in which we could use on these positions you stated.  I believe building a solid D with the offense we have now will serve us better and faster than building the O. So yes, outside of WR with what we know we have during a multi-year rebuild, our offense is closer than our defense. All this depends on the performance of Goff...which I also stated.

hey i just stated all the things that made us not close. yeah the d stinks. but so does the offense. 

9 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

Swift is our main RB. Whether Kerryon earns playing time behind him and another contract here is the real question. Dan Campbell said the goal is to find ways to keep Swift on the field as much as possible, including using him in the slot. No way he only get 10 touches a game. Anthony Lynn and Duce Staley will see to that.

As much as you might not like the players ( I don't know if you do or not), I'd say Tyrell Williams and Quintez Cephus will be playing WR somewhere. So that's at least 2 WRs. I don't feel comfortable with just them right now, but I expect that group to grow soon.

We are paying Jesse James alot to be our #2 TE and have a young stud in Hunter Bryant behind him that Quinntricia forgot about.

The tright side of our OL is damn good. Borderline elite with Decker/Jackson/Ragnow. That leaves RG/RT open for improvement. I could see the Lions drafting a RT and keeping Vaitai at RG, or drafting a RG and moving Vaitai back outside. Either way, our OL was rated top half of the league last year despite a carousel. 

Our biggest needs on offense are a true #1 WR, ROL, and a future QB to replace Goff in a few years. This hardly outweighs the 7+ starters needed on defense. 

This mock was done with the premise of only defense. That doesn't mean defense is our only concern. This team is void of talent across the board and Holmes has almost a blank slate to work with. Making moves to add draft capital and cap space appear to be a priority and i applaud him doing so. If you would like to do an offense only mock draft, I'd love to see it. This is the best time of year to play around with different scenarios and come up with new ideas. 

While this is a fun exercise, I don't think that you can do it. You're basically hanging Goff out there to dry if you go all-defense unless you somehow heavily support the offense with free agency. 

That being said, I do like most of the picks. I'd much rather trade down and get JOK than take Parsons at 7. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Swift is our main RB. Whether Kerryon earns playing time behind him and another contract here is the real question. Dan Campbell said the goal is to find ways to keep Swift on the field as much as possible, including using him in the slot. No way he only get 10 touches a game. Anthony Lynn and Duce Staley will see to that.

As much as you might not like the players ( I don't know if you do or not), I'd say Tyrell Williams and Quintez Cephus will be playing WR somewhere. So that's at least 2 WRs. I don't feel comfortable with just them right now, but I expect that group to grow soon.

We are paying Jesse James alot to be our #2 TE and have a young stud in Hunter Bryant behind him that Quinntricia forgot about.

The tright side of our OL is damn good. Borderline elite with Decker/Jackson/Ragnow. That leaves RG/RT open for improvement. I could see the Lions drafting a RT and keeping Vaitai at RG, or drafting a RG and moving Vaitai back outside. Either way, our OL was rated top half of the league last year despite a carousel. 

Our biggest needs on offense are a true #1 WR, ROL, and a future QB to replace Goff in a few years. This hardly outweighs the 7+ starters needed on defense. 

This mock was done with the premise of only defense. That doesn't mean defense is our only concern. This team is void of talent across the board and Holmes has almost a blank slate to work with. Making moves to add draft capital and cap space appear to be a priority and i applaud him doing so. If you would like to do an offense only mock draft, I'd love to see it. This is the best time of year to play around with different scenarios and come up with new ideas. 

IM saying his body WILL NOT HOLD UP....we'll see...just seems like a talented kerryon. doesn't have that durability trait at all. 

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Quintricia killed my interest in football the past couple seasons, so I haven't been as up to date on the prospects as I usually am.

However, the idea of an intimidating defense is rejuvenating. 

well my friend this draft has some fun prospects!! Id still wait until after draft. I swear when I learn about the guys they pass on my favorites for them to go to another team and ball out. but just the way she goes. glad we are moving on from a lot