Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

On 7/15/2021 at 7:26 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Delta variant looks to be causing a lot of problems right now.

Anyone have any data on who's been infected by it from an unvaccinated standpoint vs a vaccinated standpoint and anything that might itemize what vaccine's efficacy are against it?

Nothing itemized so far. In terms of efficiency, we just know that Israel has the Pfizer vaccine as 64% effective at preventing symptomatic infection (Fauci thinks the numbers are actually higher). I’m assuming transmission prevention is also lower too. But otherwise, it’s still in the 90 percent tile at preventing severe illness and hospitalization. 

Edited by Xenos

31 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Nothing itemized so far. In terms of efficiency, we just know that Israel has the Pfizer vaccine as 64% effective at preventing symptomatic infection (Fauci thinks the numbers are actually higher). I’m assuming transmission prevention is also lower too. But otherwise, it’s still in the 90 percent tile at preventing severe illness and hospitalization. 

I saw the Israel study but there are studies out there that show the protection is much better (literally read this just now lol):

88% - https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.22.21257658v1

79% - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

87% - https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.22.21257658v1

Also saw something that says symptoms of this more resemble the common cold as well.

Definitely not going to concern myself w/ it and will excitingly board a plane in a month to go on my second vacation in 4 months lol. Third will be Vegas sometime when the Raiders have a home game to witness that madness!

Regardless, it does suck to see numbers rising all over the country as I was hoping the major downward trend would be the last of it.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I saw the Israel study but there are studies out there that show the protection is much better (literally read this just now lol):

88% - https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.22.21257658v1

79% - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

87% - https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.22.21257658v1

Also saw something that says symptoms of this more resemble the common cold as well.

Definitely not going to concern myself w/ it and will excitingly board a plane in a month to go on my second vacation in 4 months lol. Third will be Vegas sometime when the Raiders have a home game to witness that madness!

Regardless, it does suck to see numbers rising all over the country as I was hoping the major downward trend would be the last of it.

I was hoping so too. But looks like we’re reaping the joys of the Delta variant and the people who don’t have a legitimate reason to remain unvaccinated.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Sounds similar to me. I cannot put anything foreign into my body without repercussions. I have an unknown autoimmune disorder that causes my immune system to be hyper active. I basically react to everything and have a very bland diet as a result. I especially react to medications, even antibiotics, they are surely going to put me in the hospital. I’m fine like 98% of the time now (which I’m very blessed for) because I have figured out all of my triggers that sends me into a flare up, but this was through many years of trial and error. 

As for the vaccine, I have played it safe and have not taken it. It has been approved for some autoimmune disorders but mine is a strange one. Plus, when it does come to sickness, my hyper active immune system usually kicks anything in 1 day. For example, whenever I get the flu, I beat it in 24 hours while the rest of my household is miserable for two weeks. Not sure I’d have the same reaction to COVID but I’d rather take my chances currently. 

I have always respected other people and have worn a mask the entire pandemic and still do (I think now I’m the only one in the entire area with a mask which suckssss and makes me look out of place. Oh well). 

This is why I have been debating waiting for NovaVax. It is a more proven method and more long term data. I have read way too many animal studies, especially chimps, that have autoimmune disorders and get an mRNA vaccine and it goes horribly wrong. Although, to be fair, these were different mRNA vaccines. 

What did your Dr. recommend? Waiting as well?

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What did your Dr. recommend? Waiting as well?

Paraphrasing, basically said “in theory” it should be fine but do what your comfortable with. Basically very strategically worded his words. These doctors do not want a malpractice suit by advising against the vaccine, but they also can’t guarantee safety if you have some strange thing going on. So he worded it in a way that covered him both ways. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Paraphrasing, basically said “in theory” it should be fine but do what your comfortable with. Basically very strategically worded his words. These doctors do not want a malpractice suit by advising against the vaccine, but they also can’t guarantee safety if you have some strange thing going on. So he worded it in a way that covered him both ways. 

That makes sense. 

My point has always been that folks like you with apparent legitimate medical reasons should be the most outraged that those who do not remain unvaccinated. Especially of you, or anyone close to you, is high risk for Covid. Imagine some otherwise healthy, but unvaxxed rube infects you (despite your cautions) because you can't get vaccinated, and then you unknowingly pass it to your grandfather who dies.

That chain of events has already happened and killed people certainly. People who would still be alive if that healthy person had received the vaccine.

• Like 1

Do your freedom and rights still win if you're in a makeshift hospital?

Springfield, Missouri is one of the most overwhelmed areas of the nation. Public health officials have asked the state to convert dormitories, hotels or other large spaces for the care of less seriously ill COVID-19 patients so that the city's two hospitals can focus on the sickest.

UF Health Jacksonville in Florida is thinking about setting up tents in their parking lot to help with overflow after the cumber of their COVID-19 patients doubled to 77 over the past couple of weeks. The hospital's director of infection prevention, Chad Neilsen, said the hospital expects to surpass its January high of 125 COVID-19 inpatients within the next few weeks.

Source

Edited by kingseanjohn
add source

22 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Sounds similar to me. I cannot put anything foreign into my body without repercussions. I have an unknown autoimmune disorder that causes my immune system to be hyper active. I basically react to everything and have a very bland diet as a result. I especially react to medications, even antibiotics, they are surely going to put me in the hospital. I’m fine like 98% of the time now (which I’m very blessed for) because I have figured out all of my triggers that sends me into a flare up, but this was through many years of trial and error. 

As for the vaccine, I have played it safe and have not taken it. It has been approved for some autoimmune disorders but mine is a strange one. Plus, when it does come to sickness, my hyper active immune system usually kicks anything in 1 day. For example, whenever I get the flu, I beat it in 24 hours while the rest of my household is miserable for two weeks. Not sure I’d have the same reaction to COVID but I’d rather take my chances currently. 

I have always respected other people and have worn a mask the entire pandemic and still do (I think now I’m the only one in the entire area with a mask which suckssss and makes me look out of place. Oh well). 

This is why I have been debating waiting for NovaVax. It is a more proven method and more long term data. I have read way too many animal studies, especially chimps, that have autoimmune disorders and get an mRNA vaccine and it goes horribly wrong. Although, to be fair, these were different mRNA vaccines. 

J&J vaccine then?

Healthcare workers choosing not to get vaccinated is just ridiculous.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/17/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

Unvaccinated health care workers are causing staffing issues

While health officials have preached the need for Americans to get vaccines, one industry in particular is also facing a growing crisis with unvaccinated workers: health care. 

In one example, the University of Florida Health Jacksonville hospital is going through staffing issues due to unvaccinated staff and is seeing an uptick in hospitalizations due to Covid-19, according to Chad Neilsen, director of infection prevention.

The hospital has seen a 50% increase in Covid-19 admissions in the last two weeks and 10% more Covid-19 patients per day, Neilsen told CNN. The average age of Covid-19 inpatient admission is 54, the lowest UF Health Jacksonville has ever seen.

Staffing at the hospital is becoming a big issue, Neilsen noted, as unvaccinated staff are being exposed to and getting Covid-19 in addition to undergoing burnout. There is only around 52% vaccine compliance among employees at UF Health Jacksonville, according to the director. 

"Unvaccinated employees seem to be taking longer to recover and longer to return back to work," Neilsen said, as the hospital is considering pausing elective surgeries.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Healthcare workers choosing not to get vaccinated is just ridiculous.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/17/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

I'm guessing they can't mandate it until the vaccines are no longer on the EUA? Because from what I read the earliest that may happen is Jan 2022 (Source).

It blows my mind that people are so worked up over this yet we have so many other required vaccines for work, travel, school, etc.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm guessing they can't mandate it until the vaccines are no longer on the EUA? Because from what I read the earliest that may happen is Jan 2022 (Source).

It blows my mind that people are so worked up over this yet we have so many other required vaccines for work, travel, school, etc.

No, the Jan 2022 is the latest it can get approval. It’s estimated to be approved within two months.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/16/health/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-fda-priority-review/index.html

The FDA official told CNN on Friday that a decision on full approval is likely to come within two months. The agency considers this matter a priority, said the official, who asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Edit: technically they can mandate it given the recent ruling for Methodist Hospital.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm guessing they can't mandate it until the vaccines are no longer on the EUA?

This is correct. It's crazy. In Maine, as a healthcare worker in order to work ANYWHERE you must have the following:

1. Rubeola (measles);

2. Mumps;

3. Rubella (German measles);

4. Varicella (chicken pox);

5. Hepatitis B; and

6. Influenza.

https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/infectious-disease/immunization/providers/documents/Immunization Requirements for Healthcare Workers.pdf

Have to imagine COVID will be on their once its fully FDA approved. As it stands, just last week we had a nurse who had been an employee for years meet a new patient to work in their home for 40+ hours a week. It went EXTREMELY well... until the family found out she wasnt and didnt intend to get vaccinated so they turned her down. When it becomes are requirement, given how many caregivers we currently have unvaccinated with no plans to get it, I imagine the nursing shortage in Maine is going to get much much worse. Most states only require a Hep B declination to work in Homecare settings. All my nurses will just go there.