Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Yeah I understand the reasoning, but don't agree with it. I work with a few people who are not getting vaccinated and nothing I say will change that. It would really suck for me to lose out on a paycheck because of their ignorance. 

I believe everyone should have a choice whether they get it or not, but I also believe that anyone who has done even a small amount of unbiased research would find that getting the shot is the way to go. I think the strong arm approach actually turns more people away than just supplying information and letting people decide for themselves. Everyone should be allowed to make a stupid choice, as much as I disagree with it, however allowing that stupid choice to take literally take money away from a responsible person's family is too much. 

It's comical how politicized it's become.

And my favorite argument: "we don't know the long term side effects of the vaccine". What is more likely to give you long term side effects: a vaccine engineered to help reduce the burden of your symptoms. Or a particle (virus) that has mutated several times, causes systemic inflammation, autoantibodies leading to clots, and has killed millions.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Everyone should be allowed to make a stupid choice, as much as I disagree with it, however allowing that stupid choice to take literally take money away from a responsible person's family is too much. 

the problem with treating it this way is that that stupid individual choice also *decreases the vaccine's efficacy for everyone,* not to mention the increased possibility for more variants and the immediate threat it poses to immunocompromised people (and, for the time being, children under 12) who can't get the vaccine. it simply cannot be compartmentalized as individuals making a stupid choice, which is exactly why we require plenty of other vaccines.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

And my favorite argument: "we don't know the long term side effects of the vaccine". What is more likely to give you long term side effects: a vaccine engineered to help reduce the burden of your symptoms. Or a particle (virus) that has mutated several times, causes systemic inflammation, autoantibodies leading to clots, and has killed millions.

Mine was the whole: “the medical community was deliberately ignoring the deaths from individuals after getting the shots”

• Like 1

While I'd very much like to keep this topic open so we can discuss Football-related aspects of this news (like how it will affect certain players' chances of making a roster), I see it is already starting to tip over to COVID-related discussion and it will likely just spiral uncontrollably if I let it stay open.

You can discuss COVID here:

yall think people will come or have we scared them all out of here too many times?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the problem with treating it this way is that that stupid individual choice also *decreases the vaccine's efficacy for everyone,* not to mention the increased possibility for more variants and the immediate threat it poses to immunocompromised people (and, for the time being, children under 12) who can't get the vaccine. it simply cannot be compartmentalized as individuals making a stupid choice, which is exactly why we require plenty of other vaccines.

Places should require proof of vaccination to enter as opposed to forcing the vaccinated to wear masks iyam. LA County got this wrong. Make life more difficult for the unvaccinated.  

Edited by TLO
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, TLO said:

Places should require proof of vaccination to enter as opposed to forcing the vaccinated to wear masks iyam. LA County got this wrong. Make life more difficult for the unvaccinated.  

A vaccine passport would probably be even more controversial even though it shouldn’t be. It’s also probably just easier to have everyone wear masks indoors rather than deal with the logistics of a passport. 

• Like 1

To lure some of the people talking about the NFL news, ill throw back to a few pages ago talking about how any healthcare worker in Maine has to have a full MMR Varisella AND flu vaccine on record to work. THIS IS A STATE REQUIREMENT. No one is protesting it (well I am, but for business reasons lol), its not controversial. Its just an industry standard. If you are a traveling nurse, almost EVERY hospital in the entire country requires a flu vaccine and an MMR. The NFL docking pay due to an outbreak and causing forfeitures is, IMO, not even close to the level it could and probably SHOULD be. Vaccine requirements, and strick ones at that, exist and have existed for a long time. IT IS NOT NEW. Entire industries and businesses have operated successfully under these restrictions and requirements for decades. If an NFL player wants the PRIVLEDGE of playing in the NFL and making millions, I don't think its wild or out there that they are required a vaccine of ANY variety. However, the NFL isnt even doing that. There is a risk you forfeit a game and pay for a week or so. Oh no.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

"We don't know the long term side effects...."

While they consistently eat processed food and rarely workout...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

To lure some of the people talking about the NFL news, ill throw back to a few pages ago talking about how any healthcare worker in Maine has to have a full MMR Varisella AND flu vaccine on record to work. THIS IS A STATE REQUIREMENT. No one is protesting it (well I am, but for business reasons lol), its not controversial. Its just an industry standard. If you are a traveling nurse, almost EVERY hospital in the entire country requires a flu vaccine and an MMR. The NFL docking pay due to an outbreak and causing forfeitures is, IMO, not even close to the level it could and probably SHOULD be. Vaccine requirements, and strick ones at that, exist and have existed for a long time. IT IS NOT NEW. Entire industries and businesses have operated successfully under these restrictions and requirements for decades. If an NFL player wants the PRIVLEDGE of playing in the NFL and making millions, I don't think its wild or out there that they are required a vaccine of ANY variety. However, the NFL isnt even doing that. There is a risk you forfeit a game and pay for a week or so. Oh no.

****. I remember going back for my MBA, and having to take a few vaccines. Once these vaccines have full FDA approval I'm hoping many state/city/county workers are mandated to take it, schools mandate it, and a whole bunch of businesses mandate it as well.

I don't agree with gov'ts mandating it. At least not here as it would cause way too many issues, but the US prides itself on capitalism, so let the businesses have their rights! Seems like a fair middle ground to me. If you don't like your business's policies, then move on. I've moved on from jobs due to crappy managers. Lord knows there are enough jobs out there right now. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, -Hope- said:

I agree with you, I don't think we require any vaccines that are yet to have FDA approval (unless I'm missing any which is possible). The government being able to mandate a non-approved vaccine is a slippery slope that could eventually get out of hand. Again, I don't agree with those who refuse to get it, but I can understand (some of) their POV.

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

I don't agree with gov'ts mandating it. At least not here as it would cause way too many issues, but the US prides itself on capitalism, so let the businesses have their rights! Seems like a fair middle ground to me. If you don't like your businesses policies, then move on. I've moved on from jobs due to crappy managers. Lord knows there are enough jobs out there right now. 

Agree 100% with this. Any player in the NFL who doesn't like what the owners of the company are doing with their company can move on and find a job like any of us regular people do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Again, I don't agree with those who refuse to get it, but I can understand (some of) their POV.

Refusing a vaccine that isn't mandatory because you don't think the government should mandate vaccines isn't even coherent, much less understandable.

All these idiots are doing, ironically enough, is putting more pressure on business and governments to mandate that slippery slope they're so afraid of.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Refusing a vaccine that isn't mandatory because you don't think the government should mandate vaccines isn't even coherent, much less understandable.

All these idiots are doing, ironically enough, is putting more pressure on business and governments to mandate that slippery slope they're so afraid of.

Right, but putting the pressure on the businesses to make that call is different because if an employee doesn't agree with them, they can leave and find another job. If the government makes the call then you're saying that if you don't agree, you need to leave the country? 

I feel that you can believe both that refusing the vaccine is stupid and that the government should not be able to mandate a non-approved vaccine. It doesn't have to be one or the other. 

• Like 1