Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Anybody else who has had it have their sense of smell come and go for like a month? 

I don't remember when I got it, but I stopped feeling like **** in about two days, couldn't smell anything for about a week, then I could recognize smells again (they were off, but I knew if something smelt bad/fruity/etc).  Then it kinda came and went and now I still can't smell anything regularly.  Every now and then I'll recognize I smelled something, but then later I'll try smelling something and nothing. 

It's been like a month. 

that sucks dude, I have heard a lot of similar stories. Everything published is still just theorizing the longevity of the post infection symptoms. 

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

that sucks dude, I have heard a lot of similar stories. Everything published is still just theorizing the longevity of the post infection symptoms. 

Honestly it doesn’t really bother me much.  You’d think it would, but it’s like... Eh.  If I still couldn’t taste anything I’d be crying by now.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Honestly it doesn’t really bother me much.  You’d think it would, but it’s like... Eh.  If I still couldn’t taste anything I’d be crying by now.

its probably the least consequential long term effect, if I had to choose one that'd be it. That being said, double check your smoke detectors since you don't have a reliable natural one at the moment

• Like 2

"As of 3/8, We're at 21.5% of the total population having rcvd at least one shot in my county. Probably closer to 23% today. Last I checked, We're doing about a half of a percent of the population per day rcving their first dose. The last day of April is about 50 days away, so even if we don't improve on administering shots- we'd be approaching 50% of the entire population having rcvd at least one shot as we enter May. I cannot see a scenario (outside of something off the wall happening) where the vaccines are not opened up to everyone by early May at the latest. "

It'll be interesting to keep tabs on my county's progress. As of 3/21- we're officially at 29.2% rcving at least one dose. It took 12 days to do 7.7% more of the population. We're doing .59% of the population per day rcving at least one dose. This is with J&J at limited supply. Supply is only going to continue to ramp up, so it's on the states to get these vaccines injected into the population's arms at the fastest rate possible!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Anybody else who has had it have their sense of smell come and go for like a month? 

I don't remember when I got it, but I stopped feeling like **** in about two days, couldn't smell anything for about a week, then I could recognize smells again (they were off, but I knew if something smelt bad/fruity/etc).  Then it kinda came and went and now I still can't smell anything regularly.  Every now and then I'll recognize I smelled something, but then later I'll try smelling something and nothing. 

It's been like a month. 

As I stated a little earlier, I've had many friends say it's lasted for a couple months and another, although the exception to rule, say it's been 7 months and she couldn't even eat some foods bc he sense were all jacked up. She said she would throw up at the smell of many of her favorites. Another friend says foods are infinitely spicier than they once were and almost uneatable these days. She got it back in May. 

It seems like it's fairly common and fingers crossed it doesn't effect you nearly that long. 

Not free:

Vaccinated mothers pass covid antibodies to babies in utero and through breastmilk, early studies show.

One preprint, which was published this month, studied more than 130 vaccinated women — 84 of whom were pregnant and 31 lactating. It found that these women had similar immune responses to the vaccine as nonpregnant women, suggesting that the vaccine would be just as effective for them. Andrea Edlow, who co-authored the study, said one interesting aspect was that the researchers were able to compare antibody responses between the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. They found that the women who had received the Moderna vaccine had higher levels of one type of antibody, called IgA. This mucosal antibody is typically found in breastmilk and protects breastfed babies against diseases, such as covid-19, that attack mucosal areas, particularly the respiratory tract. And a case study published last month found that a pregnant woman who had received one dose of a two-dose mRNA vaccine also had detectable antibodies in her umbilical cord blood upon giving birth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/21/vaccine-pregnancy-antibodies-babies-covid/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Not just PR issues. They screwed up royally by not using the most updated data. Telling half truths (and to me using out of date data is at best a half truth) is socially acceptable in politics, but not drug development. 

Silver lining, if anyone is wondering whether regulators take their jobs seriously and review data, here's your answer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not just PR issues. They screwed up royally by not using the most updated data. Telling half truths (and to me using out of date data is at best a half truth) is socially acceptable in politics, but not drug development. 

Silver lining, if anyone is wondering whether regulators take their jobs seriously and review data, here's your answer.

One reason I’m glad that it’s being called out right now.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, Outpost31 said:

It's been like a month. 

I was like that for awhile.  I had it in November.  Now I'm dealing with this weird thing where most negative type smells all smell the same to me.  They all have this odd burnt stale coffee-ish smell, mixed with a hint of something infected.  Sort of hard to explain.  It's really strange, but it sounds like it's a common side effect for people that lost their smell to have a few months later.  Urine, feces, coffee itself, fried foods, gasoline all smell the same, just at different intensities.  I didn't realize what was going on until I was driving recently, with my wife, and the smell hit me really hard;  She made a disgusted face, and I asked her what that smell was, and she said a skunk.  It freaked me out for a second, because it smelled nothing like a skunk to me, but then I realized what was going on, and started looking into it.  Strange phenomena.