Like… I don’t want it to seem like I’m against vaccines.  I’m not.  I know because of my leanings people assume I’m anti-vaccine, but I’ve never been.

I consider myself to be extremely open minded, and although, as @incognito_man can attest to, I jump to conclusions quickly on things like this, I do come around to sense and logic after a while.

Vaccines for me though?  I’m hesitant.

I’ve got serious immune system issues.  Alopecia totalis, kidney problems, thyroid issues, severe allergies…

When I had my hernia repaired, I had a local anisthetic (sp).  An allergic reaction to that made my right ******** swell to the size of a softball.  LITERALLY.  That’s not an exaggeration.

When I have an allergic reaction to certain foods and brands, it knocks me on my butt for a week.  I’m talking I have to sit down to take a shower exhaustion bad.

Covid though?  A day off and I was able to function the next day.  I might have lost my sense of smell, but I was able to workout (light) the next day, and by the following Monday (started on Thursday night), I was able to do my full workout.

I’m a mostly healthy person and I do a lot to stay healthy.  I know what I faced with covid, and I know how I react to flu like illnesses.

But with my history of allergic reactions, I feel like I’m risking life-threatening reactions or possibly long-term effects.

If I took the time to recount all my allergic reactions, compare those with my existing immune system and the vaccine and I had a doctor tell me it’s 100% safe for someone like me, I’d probably do it.

I also trust herd immunity making covid a non-issue going forward and relying on any natural immunity I will hopefully build up from having had covid or from the possibility of getting the Delta variant.

I just don’t like the notion being put out there that certain people aren’t at risk from the vaccine.  I’ve read enough anecdotal evidence and have had enough personal evidence both inside and outside my family to be a little hesitant.

My grandpa on my mother’s side caught covid, lost his appetite for a day and had cold like symptoms.  Dude’s 80 and has been unfit and unhealthy for a decade now.  Fast forward a few months, he gets the jab (not sure which), dead a week later.

Coincidence?  Most likely.  Considering my immune thing is hereditary on the mother’s side?  Ehhhh.  I’m pausing there and questioning whether or not that reaction might be hereditary.  My mom has a lot of the same allergy reactions I do.  Tylenol would send her to the ER.  Sends me to bed, but could kill her.

So I’m perfectly content with waiting on more information about which types of people are likely to experience these severe reactions and why.  Is it people with autoimmune disorders?  Because I’ve got them. Is it people with weird thyroid issues?  Because I’ve got them.  

So it’s just… 

I’m kinda apathetic on the whole thing and don’t want to be lumped in with people who think the vaccine is some well-orchestrated population control death machine.

I am legitimately afraid of reactions based on my own personal history.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Xenos said:

If his doctor recommends that he gets the vaccine because the benefit outweigh the risks, he should get it for himself as well as to protect others.

Ok 

Delta variant looks to be causing a lot of problems right now.

Anyone have any data on who's been infected by it from an unvaccinated standpoint vs a vaccinated standpoint and anything that might itemize what vaccine's efficacy are against it?

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Like… I don’t want it to seem like I’m against vaccines.  I’m not.  I know because of my leanings people assume I’m anti-vaccine, but I’ve never been.

I consider myself to be extremely open minded, and although, as @incognito_man can attest to, I jump to conclusions quickly on things like this, I do come around to sense and logic after a while.

I’ve got serious immune system issues.  Alopecia totalis, kidney problems, thyroid issues, severe allergies…

When I had my hernia repaired, I had a local anisthetic (sp).  An allergic reaction to that made my right ******** swell to the size of a softball.  LITERALLY.  That’s not an exaggeration.

When I have an allergic reaction to certain foods and brands, it knocks me on my butt for a week.  I’m talking I have to sit down to take a shower exhaustion bad.

Covid though?  A day off and I was able to function the next day.  I might have lost my sense of smell, but I was able to workout (light) the next day, and by the following Monday (started on Thursday night), I was able to do my full workout.

I’m a mostly healthy person and I do a lot to stay healthy.  I know what I faced with covid, and I know how I react to flu like illnesses.

But with my history of allergic reactions, I feel like I’m risking life-threatening reactions or possibly long-term effects.

If I took the time to recount all my allergic reactions, compare those with my existing immune system and the vaccine and I had a doctor tell me it’s 100% safe for someone like me, I’d probably do it.

I also trust herd immunity making covid a non-issue going forward and relying on any natural immunity I will hopefully build up from having had covid or from the possibility of getting the Delta variant.

I just don’t like the notion being put out there that certain people aren’t at risk from the vaccine.  I’ve read enough anecdotal evidence and have had enough personal evidence both inside and outside my family to be a little hesitant.

My grandpa on my mother’s side caught covid, lost his appetite for a day and had cold like symptoms.  Dude’s 80 and has been unfit and unhealthy for a decade now.  Fast forward a few months, he gets the jab (not sure which), dead a week later.

Coincidence?  Most likely.  Considering my immune thing is hereditary on the mother’s side?  Ehhhh.  I’m pausing there and questioning whether or not that reaction might be hereditary.  My mom has a lot of the same allergy reactions I do.  Tylenol would send her to the ER.  Sends me to bed, but could kill her.

So I’m perfectly content with waiting on more information about which types of people are likely to experience these severe reactions and why.  Is it people with autoimmune disorders?  Because I’ve got them. Is it people with weird thyroid issues?  Because I’ve got them.  

So it’s just… 

I’m kinda apathetic on the whole thing and don’t want to be lumped in with people who think the vaccine is some well-orchestrated population control death machine.

No one on a football forum can tell you to do what to do with your life and your medical decisions. If you're unsure because of your history of medical reactions, you can do whatever the hell you think is best for you. How you are viewed on a forum has no bearing on your real life health that you know far more about than anyone here does.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

No one on a football forum can tell you to do what to do with your life and your medical decisions. If you're unsure because of your history of medical reactions, you can do whatever the hell you think is best for you. How you are viewed on a forum has no bearing on your real life health that you know far more about than anyone here does.

Outpost seems to have a legitimate medical reason to not take the vaccine. Preferably he also gets advice from his medical doctor on what to do.

However, people who don’t have a legitimate reason should get vaccinated. It doesn’t matter if this is a football forum. It’s just common sense at this point.

• Like 1

It’s sad when the Surgeon General needs to state the obvious.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/07/15/1016013826/the-u-s-surgeon-general-is-calling-covid-19-misinformation-an-urgent-threat

Rates of COVID-19 are rising nationwide, driven in large part by the spread of the highly transmissible delta variant. A recent analysis by NPR shows that cases are highest in places where vaccination rates lag. Multiple factors, including inadequate access to vaccines, can keep vaccination rates low in some communities, but Murthy says fear about possible side effects or extremely rare adverse events are also a powerful driver of vaccine hesitancy.

In many cases, false information about the vaccines feeds that hesitancy. According to polling from the Kaiser Family Foundation, two-thirds of unvaccinated adults either believe vaccine myths or are unsure about whether they are true. Murthy says that means misinformation is literally putting lives at risk.

On 7/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, Outpost31 said:

So it’s just… 

I don’t blame you. I talked to an acquaintance today who told me she was sick for 9 weeks from the first dose, and her doctor said if she had taken the second dose, she might have died.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:10 PM, Outpost31 said:

So it’s just… 

Sounds similar to me. I cannot put anything foreign into my body without repercussions. I have an unknown autoimmune disorder that causes my immune system to be hyper active. I basically react to everything and have a very bland diet as a result. I especially react to medications, even antibiotics, they are surely going to put me in the hospital. I’m fine like 98% of the time now (which I’m very blessed for) because I have figured out all of my triggers that sends me into a flare up, but this was through many years of trial and error. 

As for the vaccine, I have played it safe and have not taken it. It has been approved for some autoimmune disorders but mine is a strange one. Plus, when it does come to sickness, my hyper active immune system usually kicks anything in 1 day. For example, whenever I get the flu, I beat it in 24 hours while the rest of my household is miserable for two weeks. Not sure I’d have the same reaction to COVID but I’d rather take my chances currently. 

I have always respected other people and have worn a mask the entire pandemic and still do (I think now I’m the only one in the entire area with a mask which suckssss and makes me look out of place. Oh well). 

This is why I have been debating waiting for NovaVax. It is a more proven method and more long term data. I have read way too many animal studies, especially chimps, that have autoimmune disorders and get an mRNA vaccine and it goes horribly wrong. Although, to be fair, these were different mRNA vaccines. 

• Like 1