Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants

All viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, change over time. Most changes have little to no impact on the virus’ properties. However, some changes may affect the virus’s properties, such as how easily it spreads, the associated disease severity, or the performance of vaccines, therapeutic medicines, diagnostic tools, or other public health and social measures. 

WHO, in collaboration with partners, expert networks, national authorities, institutions and researchers have been monitoring and assessing the evolution of SARS-CoV-2 since January 2020. During late 2020, the emergence of variants that posed an increased risk to global public health prompted the characterisation of specific Variants of Interest (VOIs) and Variants of Concern (VOCs), in order to prioritise global monitoring and research, and ultimately to inform the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic.  

https://www.who.int/en/activities/tracking-SARS-CoV-2-variants/

I was in LA for the weekend and barely any businesses were enforcing the mask mandate. Even when I visited the Getty museum I seen people take it off 10 feet inside. It’s safe to say most people vaccinated or not are done with the mask mandate.

42 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I was in LA for the weekend and barely any businesses were enforcing the mask mandate. Even when I visited the Getty museum I seen people take it off 10 feet inside. It’s safe to say most people vaccinated or not are done with the mask mandate.

That’s sad.

Edit: it also doesn’t help that the LA County sheriff won’t do his job.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1274274?fbclid=IwAR3CYKB2p7DxPHGk7xIvCWgR9Emmm2LrPJRC5dAfv5hB0z3lGOrXJEkjN9w

Edited by Xenos

13 minutes ago, Xenos said:

That’s sad.

Edit: it also doesn’t help that the LA County sheriff won’t do his job.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1274274?fbclid=IwAR3CYKB2p7DxPHGk7xIvCWgR9Emmm2LrPJRC5dAfv5hB0z3lGOrXJEkjN9w

Yeah to be fair it was enforced on Sunday my last day there. So maybe the city is doing a better job but who knows.

19 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Yeah to be fair it was enforced on Sunday my last day there. So maybe the city is doing a better job but who knows.

I get it. Masks are annoying but when you have rising cases because the majority of your population won’t get vaccinated, wearing it indoors is a minor inconvenience IMO.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

The vaccine situation is unfortunate. I expect we will be in the same situation shortly. Our first dose vaccine uptake has slowed to a crawl.

EDIT…after posting this I went to a news site.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-vaccine-demand-dropping-canada-1.6111448

Reading more details about Canada’s mixing vaccines is interesting. I can see why people are hesitant since I don’t know if there’s solid data yet. But at the same time, it’s still better than getting Covid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

NFL loudly laying down the hammer on the unvaccinated:

I don't agree with the part about both teams not getting paid, but I'm not sure what else they could do otherwise. I feel like only the infected people who caused the cancellation should be the ones who have pay withheld. 

That being said, I'm not sure what else is wrong with that. If a game has to be cancelled, they will try to reschedule. If it can't be rescheduled, the team with the outbreak has to forfeit. Seems pretty straightforward to me and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about (unless it's strictly about the pay).

50 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I don't agree with the part about both teams not getting paid, but I'm not sure what else they could do otherwise. I feel like only the infected people who caused the cancellation should be the ones who have pay withheld. 

I think its inspired. It's putting pressure on players to convince each other to get the vaccine beyond on just their own team. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think its inspired. It's putting pressure on players to convince each other to get the vaccine beyond on just their own team. 

I understand what they’re trying to do but I can see both sides of the argument. It does seem unfair that the responsible team’s players gets punished financially also. If it happened to the Chargers players, I would feel so bad.

Edited by Xenos

Just now, Xenos said:

I understand what they’re trying to do but I can see both sides of the argument. It does seem unfair that the responsible team’s players gets punished financially also. If it happened to the Chargers players, I would feel so bad.

I get it, but if the NFL has to cancel a game, they and the owners also lose the income. If my employer pays me per service performed and I dont do that service for any reason, I wouldn't expect to get paid. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I get it, but if the NFL has to cancel a game, they and the owners also lose the income. If my employer pays me per service performed and I dont do that service for any reason, I wouldn't expect to get paid. 

Should fine the players as well to pay the hourly staff who lost out on ~6% of their pay imo. The people who make gamedays happen get the short end of the stick yet again.

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Yeah I understand the reasoning, but don't agree with it. I work with a few people who are not getting vaccinated and nothing I say will change that. It would really suck for me to lose out on a paycheck because of their ignorance. 

I believe everyone should have a choice whether they get it or not, but I also believe that anyone who has done even a small amount of unbiased research would find that getting the shot is the way to go. I think the strong arm approach actually turns more people away than just supplying information and letting people decide for themselves. Everyone should be allowed to make a stupid choice, as much as I disagree with it, however allowing that stupid choice to take literally take money away from a responsible person's family is too much. 

• Like 2