1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Listen, I think we agree that there was an ENORMOUS missed opportunity here to promote overall health to society (that badly needs it) with the pandemic. We should have heard about exercising and eating healthy and outdoor time and vitamin D alongside the vaccine. 

But let's try to walk AND chew gum here. We can promote a healthy lifestyle AND the vaccine as an even BETTER solution. It's not one or the other. It's both.

Yep.

Also experts are wrong and make evidence-based corrections. That means you can trust them because they have the integrity to do so. The anti-vax crowd has neither integrity nor rhetoric. Only logical fallacies and awful conspiracy theories.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, JonStark said:

I disagree, although you're probably right that what I said was spoken with absolutes. There may be a few, but most of the people not getting it aren't getting it because one side of the political spectrum is all for it. Maybe you're right and some people are waiting for Novavax, but I hard a very hard time believing that the majority feel that way. 

I hope you're right and am always willing to be proven wrong, but I just don't see that being the sentiment towards the issue. I haven't met or seen one unvaccinated person say they are legitimately still on the fence and will get it once it's proven safe. It's a simple "vaccine = bad" that's being pushed through part of the media and that's what the majority of the unvaccinated group is going to follow. 

Ask any people not vaxxed the following questions:

1) Do you have many vaccinations on your record?

2) Do you support vaccines and get vaccines?

3) If there was a more traditional COVID vaccine, would you get it TODAY?

The answers to 1 and 2 will almost always be Yes. The answer to 3 will be Yes at least 30% of the time IMO. There are definitely some people that don’t ever want to get the shot, but majority of those that would never get it think the virus is not that serious, not because they are an Anti Vaxxer. You may need to look up the definition of Anti Vaxxer. They totally don’t believe in vaccines and most of them are Anti-Science. I’m not agreeing with them, just saying what their usual mindset is about their perception of this particular virus. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Damn. You really do think you know more about this than career scientists who have all dedicated their lives to understanding these things.

Some people are just too far gone.

It is hard to rescue someone from the mothership.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The answers to 1 and 2 will almost always be Yes. The answer to 3 will be Yes at least 30% of the time IMO. There are definitely some people that don’t ever want to get the shot, but majority of those that would never get it think the virus is not that serious, not because they are an Anti Vaxxer. You may need to look up the definition of Anti Vaxxer. They totally don’t believe in vaccines and most of them are Anti-Science. I’m not agreeing with them, just saying what their usual mindset is about their perception of this particular virus. 

Right, they are not declining to take the vaccine because they are anti-vaxxers.  They are declining to take the vaccine because there are a lot of really bad people who have turned this into a cultural/political/conspiracy theory thing, in order to make money or get attention. 

I would suggest a 4th question... 

4) Did you know how any of the previous vaccines you received were made at the time? 

For 95%+ of people the answer is going to be no and they never hesitated to take other approved vaccines administered by their doctor/pharmacy, because it didn't used to be socially acceptable to be completely  bat **** crazy.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

They’re wrong then. The virus is serious. And it can have long term side effects due to residual inflammation and the like. We won’t know the extent of them until later. Better to be safe than sorry.

People can have a perception. I’m just saying it’s wrong. I can pull up all kinds of peer reviewed facts.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They’re wrong then. The virus is serious. And it can have long term side effects due to residual inflammation and the like. We won’t know the extent of them until later. Better to be safe than sorry.

People can have a perception. I’m just saying it’s wrong. I can pull up all kinds of peer reviewed facts.

The point I was making is majority of them are not Anti Vaxxers, I could of left everything on the bottom of my post out as it is irrelevant. Most people who haven't been vaccinated will answer yes to the top two questions and have the medicals to back it up. 

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Right, they are not declining to take the vaccine because they are anti-vaxxers.  They are declining to take the vaccine because there are a lot of really bad people who have turned this into a cultural/political/conspiracy theory thing, in order to make money or get attention. 

I would suggest a 4th question... 

4) Did you know how any of the previous vaccines you received were made at the time? 

For 95%+ of people the answer is going to be no and they never hesitated to take other approved vaccines administered by their doctor/pharmacy, because it didn't used to be socially acceptable to be completely  bat **** crazy.

Politics and health are two things that should not interwind. Ever. Unfortunately, it is the society we live in. I do agree many will not get it due to political reasons, although lumping that as a vast majority would be irresponsible. 

Science is Science. Politics is Politics. Combining the two is a dangerous precedent that we are seeing more and more of. 

I will say, though, that this unfortunately goes both ways. I remember every single person that I knew that was more geared towards the left, said they would never take a vaccine released under that administration under any circumstances regardless of what they saw. This was common place. So, once again, it actually goes both ways.

I will once again state, that health and politics should NOT have ANYTHING to do with each other. It is quite unfortunate that some people have this perspective of combining the two. 

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The point I was making is majority of them are not Anti Vaxxers, I could of left everything on the bottom of my post out as it is irrelevant. Most people who haven't been vaccinated will answer yes to the top two questions and have the medicals to back it up. 

Sure. I agree with that. But the reasoning may still not be sound. If people are waiting on “full” FDA approval, but saying they don’t true the government or big pharma, they are contradicting themselves. Not referring to you. It’s just an argument I see a lot.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Politics and health are two things that should not interwind. Ever. Unfortunately, it is the society we live in. I do agree many will not get it due to political reasons, although lumping that as a vast majority would be irresponsible. 

Science is Science. Politics is Politics. Combining the two is a dangerous precedent that we are seeing more and more of. 

I will say, though, that this unfortunately goes both ways. I remember every single person that I knew that was more geared towards the left, said they would never take a vaccine released under that administration under any circumstances regardless of what they saw. This was common place. So, once again, it actually goes both ways.

I will once again state, that health and politics should NOT have ANYTHING to do with each other. It is quite unfortunate that some people have this perspective of combining the two. 

Yeah, folks around me (Northeast US) were saying stupid and irresponsible things about the vaccine last fall for similar reasons.  It was stupid then and its stupid now.

At this point though, 75-80% of adults here are vaccinated.  Some other parts of the country need to catch-up so that we can move on.  Call it whatever you want... politics, culture, stupidity... they need to catch-up.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

While they may not be antivaxxers, they’re using the same excuses as antivaxxers. It’s shocking to see friends and family members who had gotten shots and given shots to their kids, suddenly throw out logic when it comes to the Covid vaccine. I get it that you never given a thought to how vaccines were made before, but you shouldn’t suddenly start believing false side effects and deaths because of potential correlation. This article that was posted in the previous thread captured that unfortunate mentality. The same mentality that led antivaxxers to believe in unconnected deaths and side effects like autism with the MMR vaccines.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/04/get-ready-for-false-side-effects

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1
Just now, vikesfan89 said:

If they start recommending a booster shot, how long before people aren't considered fully vaccinated until they've had 3 shots? 

Immediately 

4 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Immediately 

overly simplistic. They will likely come out with a timeframe to adhere to and it will be different based on age, pre-existing conditions, and when you received your last shot. 

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

So the NFL will probably have to change its policies have ways through? 

Probably not until the next offseason.

If it even happens.

But RIGHT NOW, they seem to have a good plan in place. Even if it's only to appease the masses.

• Like 1