Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

There won't be another COVID mask mandate; I'm almost certain of that. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. And with my family and I being smart and getting vaccinated as soon as it was available, and with the data of symptomatic cases among vaccinated persons right now (including the extremely good efficacy of the vaccine against the delta variant) I'm not worried at all. 

I had to postpone my wedding last year and it is coming up now in about a month. I'm sure as hell not moving it back again. The vast majority of my family is vaccinated. If you aren't, you're on your own.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is going to sound selfish, but man I don't want to go back to wearing a mask. I masked up for A YEAR. I stayed inside for A YEAR to avoid doing this crap again. If this keeps up, I have no doubts Oregon will once again put up a mask mandate, which, and again this is going to sound really stupid and selfish, completely ruins the experience I have going to the gym and playing outdoor sports.

So in a VERY SMALL completely selfish way, it does impact me - not for health reasons, just for convenience reasons.

I can live with wearing a mask indoors with a crowd until more people are vaccinated. But really it’s for my safety and especially my kid’s.

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

I don't understand how they could go back to a mask mandate. Wouldn't that essentially be telling people that the vaccines don't work? What incentive would people have to go get vaccinated if we're back to wearing masks anyway? 

I'm sure the narrative will spin it that way, but in reality it's that even with vaccinated people, you can still catch COVID and with the Delta variant spreading like wildfire thanks to unvaccinated people, here we are...

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Maybe I'm just completely out of rope with this, but I'm not only skeptical mask mandates would come back, but even if they did, I'd imagine compliance would be so low you could get away with just not wearing one unless it was a requirement of your job or something.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

I can live with wearing a mask indoors with a crowd until more people are vaccinated. But really it’s for my safety and especially my kid’s.

To answer all of your guys' questions:

https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-cdc-mask-mandate-155642381.html

Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is examining whether to reinstate mask guidance even for fully vaccinated people in public.

"This is under active consideration," Fauci told CNN anchor Jake Tapper, when asked if masks should be brought back for vaccinated Americans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

There won't be another COVID mask mandate; I'm almost certain of that. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. And with my family and I being smart and getting vaccinated as soon as it was available, and with the data of symptomatic cases among vaccinated persons right now (including the extremely good efficacy of the vaccine against the delta variant) I'm not worried at all. 

I had to postpone my wedding last year and it is coming up now in about a month. I'm sure as hell not moving it back again. The vast majority of my family is vaccinated. If you aren't, you're on your own.

It’s harder to move back, I agree. Even with something as simple as indoor masking. The rise of vaccine passports as someone previously mentioned?

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And just as I post that, AP has this breaking news:

"in parts where COVID is surging" translates to "in areas congregated by anti-vax idiots".

As long as businesses aren't super conservative and don't force it, I'm not planning on wearing a mask anywhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And just as I post that, AP has this breaking news:

"In places where the coronavirus is surging". So in places where there were never mask mandates anyway, nobody cares, and nobody is vaccinated? I'm sure those few people who are vaccinated in these areas will comply, but that's not even going to make a difference.

This is so unbelievably dumb. Vaccinated people have done their part. If you want to truly get strict about ending this for good, you do what France has done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

"In places where the coronavirus is surging". So in places where there were never mask mandates anyway, nobody cares, and nobody is vaccinated? I'm sure those few people who are vaccinated in these areas will comply, but that's not even going to make a difference.

This is so unbelievably dumb. Vaccinated people have done their part. If you want to truly get strict about ending this for good, you do what France has done.

I could not agree more. This reminds me when the CDC was like

"yeah vaccinated people can no longer wear masks!"

"uhhhh okay how do we know who is vaccinated?!"

"Oh people will be honest"

"...................................."

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

What is France doing?

1 minute ago, swoosh said:

What is France doing?

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/07/26/1020669579/france-new-law-coronavirus-health-pass#:~:text=The law requires all workers,12 and older starting Sept.

France's parliament approved a law early Monday requiring special virus passes for all restaurants and domestic travel and mandating vaccinations for all health workers.

The law requires all workers in the health care sector to start getting vaccinated by Sept. 15, or risk suspension. It also requires a "health pass" to enter all restaurants, trains, planes and some other public venues. It initially applies to all adults, but will apply to everyone 12 and older starting Sept. 30.

To get the pass, people must have proof they are fully vaccinated, recently tested negative or recently recovered from the virus. Paper or digital documents will be accepted. The law says a government decree will outline how to handle vaccination documents from other countries.

They went the extra mile and are legally requiring people to get vaccinated in certain situations, which is absolutely what they should be doing.

Just now, swoosh said:

What is France doing?

https://apnews.com/article/europe-business-health-government-and-politics-france-ecc7d4345abf159920bbe36a3b2fefb7

Essentially, you need to be vaccinated to take part in public outings, mandated by the government. It's strict for sure, and I'm positive there are some people going absolutely insane over it, but it will slow the spread and force people to get vaccinated.

Making vaccinated people mask up will not slow the spread or force people to get vaccinated. In fact, it may make people even more reluctant to get vaccinated if they know they still have to mask up even after getting jabbed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

https://apnews.com/article/europe-business-health-government-and-politics-france-ecc7d4345abf159920bbe36a3b2fefb7

Essentially, you need to be vaccinated to take part in public outings, mandated by the government. It's strict for sure, and I'm positive there are some people going absolutely insane over it, but it will slow the spread and force people to get vaccinated.

Making vaccinated people mask up will not slow the spread or force people to get vaccinated. In fact, it may make people even more reluctant to get vaccinated if they know they still have to mask up even after getting jabbed.

Just read an article today that there are massive protests in France over this, but their vaccination levels are also soaring.

So....yeah lol

• Like 1

"Chinese researchers found that antibodies produced by the Sinovac coronavirus vaccine fell below a key threshold about six months after the second dose, raising concerns about waning immunity as new variants spread."

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/antibodies-sinovacs-covid-19-shot-fade-after-about-6-months-booster-helps-study-2021-07-26/

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I could not agree more. This reminds me when the CDC was like

"yeah vaccinated people can no longer wear masks!"

"uhhhh okay how do we know who is vaccinated?!"

"Oh people will be honest"

"...................................."

So I totally understand why the CDC did what they did. It’s one of the arguments we were having on here actually about how to get more people vaccinated. I’m pretty sure that they thought that requiring masks indoors or requiring a vaccine passport would disincentivize people more. Not to mention the political blowback for the latter. So they went with psychological incentives like prizes and a return to normalcy etc. In hindsight, it was probably the wrong idea. But you had to at least try it.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

So I totally understand why the CDC did what they did. It’s one of the arguments we were having on here actually about how to get more people vaccinated. I’m pretty sure that they thought that requiring masks indoors or requiring a vaccine passport would disincentivize people more. Not to mention the political blowback for the latter. So they went with psychological incentives like prizes and a return to normalcy etc. In hindsight, it was probably the wrong idea. But you had to at least try it.

There were always 2 sides to "return to normal":

1. People who wanted a return to normal via eradicating the disease and following scientific guidelines
  2. People who wanted a return to normal by pretending there was no disease

The people in the 2nd group are the ones saying they refuse to mask up, that's a major problem. I mean, just head on over to Reddit's /r/NoNewNormal subreddit to see mental illness in action.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls